US Infantryman Ammo load out - Page 4

--

October 14th, 2011  
LeEnfield

This picture is of a British Para's standard load. The three cardboard boxes are three days rations.

October 15th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P
A very interesting post BritinAfrica.
The empty magazine on the SLR was standard procedure in the regiment at the time and has you know one does as one's told. Obviously things change in different situations. Other members of the forum will agree that the British Army are very strict with their procedures when dealing with weapons and ammunition
Absolutely. A few years ago in the TA, one of our permanent staff mentioned that one of his guys had an ND in Northern Ireland, he was given 156 days, no messing.
October 15th, 2011  
LeEnfield

Re patrolling with loaded weapons...I think a lot depends on your unit I know that my old Regiment always loaded their weapons and went around with a full magazines. When I was in the Middle East a directive came down from the Government saying that we were shooting to many terrorist and that we should patrol with blank ammunition and when this was fired it would frighten them away. Our officers took us down to the shooting ranges and told of us of this after opening dozens of boxes of ammunition and told us we should not take any ammunition from the range. I gathered several bandoleers put them over my shoulder and went to leave the range and was challenged by officer who asked me if I had any live ammunition on my person, I saluted and said "No Sir" to which he replied good lad and walked away with hundreds of rounds in clear sight. So officially we no ammunition and every one was happy.
--
October 16th, 2011  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinktk
The standard load for any US soldier is 210 rds of 5.56 mm ball ammunition. When I was in OIF 1 I had the standard 6 mags in my LBV, then I hooked 2 more ALICE mag pouches to my IBA giving me 6 more. The 13th mag was put into the weapon. I also had a mag drop pouch, instead of using a D ring for the empty mags, I had a large pouch connected to my IBA that I could put empty mags into until I had time to reload my mags.

Today, serving in Iraq yet again, I have all MOLLE gear. I have 3 mag pouches on the front of my IOTV (body armor) which is 6 mags, and then another mag pouch just under and to the front of my right arm ( shoot long guns lefty so it's easier to reload from there). In front of that mag pouch is my Beretta 92f. I also have a mag attached to the buttstock of my M4, and finally my Red status mag I keep on the dash board of my MRAP. In addition to this each one of my trucks (4 in one platoon) has no less than 20 extra mags available in a bag inside the truck...just in case. 7 mags is the minimum, after that, it's all about preference.
Yeah I carried two dump pouches. One in the Hummer one on me plus the basic load out.
October 17th, 2011  
42RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P
While in the Cameroons 1960-61 on guard or patrol. We in the King's Own Royal Border Regiment always had a 20 round full magazine in our pouches with an empty one on the S.L.R.
I also admire the American Military
Patrolling without a chambered round is suicide.
If someone overseeing decisions on ROE thinks not, then ratchet up training. But don't put a man on the street and force him to go through multiple prompts when a gunfight breaks out. Remember, the situation can go from quiet to kinetic in half the time it takes to breathe.
October 17th, 2011  
MikeP

In the very early days of the VN buildup, some Marines patrolled with unchambered ammo.

Years ago I helped at a Travelling Wall event and a Marine pointed out a buddy who was shot and shot again as he tried to load his piece. "Died with his hand on the operating rod."
This lunatic practice did not last long.
Speaking of lunatics, I simply cannot fathom some re enactment ****** wanting to emulate guys who are actually downrange and fighting this very moment for real..
I am mouthing words I won't write here.