US Army Rangers SF?

FYI: That site expired 6 month ago.

Rattler
No, its still there, I'm just abbreviating to avoid an influx of morons onto their site. ;) Figure it as a test of intelligence... if you can't figure it out, you shouldn't go.

And I don't mean YOU as in Rattler... this is the generic use of the term referring to anyone it applies to. :)

OOOH Counter Insurgency LOL waaaay off on that one lolol.

lol That's funny, I'd imagine that guessing as a real military personnel would make you look stupid because you're suppose to KNOW this stuff lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Black Hawk Down can be seen as a source... I would say that the rangers arent SF.

They are more like elite troops supporting SF ops.

in the movie, the SF did some intelligence gathering missions (disguised as civilians), "cowboy style" rescue missions, destruction of lost hardware (burning the downed helicopters) etc...

While the rangers were fighting the whole time.

So if I use this "source"... Rangers arent sent on the same missions as the SF, even if they work on the same operations.

And they have their own doctrine and methods...

They are 11 series troops, where as Special Forces are 18 series. The only troops in the US military that are called Special Forces are individuals who hold the 18 series MOS. As 03 said Rangers are a highly trained hard hitting force. In Black Hawk Down the Rangers were used as a force multiplier for the SF troops. The Rangers pulled security while SF snatched and grabbed.

Last edited:
If the rangers are defined as a "light infantry", I wonder what a ranger would say if we quote this man who said "there is no such thing as light infantry." ^^

And a special thanks to Big Z. You made my concept of "force multiplier" richer... Never thought of that, I was restreined to equipment and such... Thank you sir.

If the rangers are defined as a "light infantry", I wonder what a ranger would say if we quote this man who said "there is no such thing as light infantry." ^^

And a special thanks to Big Z. You made my concept of "force multiplier" richer... Never thought of that, I was restreined to equipment and such... Thank you sir.

You're welcome. The funny thing about being "Light Infantry" is that you have more weight on your back then anybody else in the military. That could mean a couple of different things.

Last edited:
Being light has pretty much come to mean "without mech assets" so light is the opposite of a Mech Infantry Brigade , pretty much means while someone else is riding in an IFV most of the time, your wearin out boots.

I got this other question. I have seen that US Marines are considert elite infantry to. how do they compere to the Rangers? they have the same missions but amphibious?

I think that would start a unit vs unit mud slinging fest but I think the Rangers go through a much harder selection to be picked, even though I'm a Marine.

Tell me Redneck, isnt the Marine Corp much bigger? branch

I work sometimes with the human ressources, and it's common knowledge that the number of people you have to hire defines how unforgiving the selection will be.

And I think the Marine Corp needs different sets of skills... pilots, tank crew, gunships... etc...

So well defined standards of selection isnt a good idea... As long as you are the one providing the training.

Of course, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rangers are Regimental Size, The 75th Regiment

The Marine Corps has three active duty Divisons nad one reserve divison.

The Marine Corps is considered elite because of it's air, sea, land amphibious capability and because it has the highest individual standards of any service in the US Military.

All Marines regardless of MOS have the same boot camp.

Rangers are more intensely trained in RIP when and if the are assigned to a Ranger Bn. Don't confuse that with Ranger School Rip is a different animal.

I have no first hand experience about being a Marine so I will say nothing about that. I can speak about U.S. Army Rangers. Here's how I'd explain it:
In order to be a Ranger (a member of the 75th Ranger Rgt.), a soldier must first complete Basic Training just as all soldiers must(about 9 weeks). After that he must complete AIT where he gets MOS trained.
If he meets the standards for it, Airborne training is next. If he's fortunate enough to successfully complete Airborne School, he'll be assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment to attend the Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP as 03 has already mentioned).
After passing each of the required training schools and RIP, he's assigned to either the 75th Ranger Regiment in one of the 3 Battalions or BN HQ.
And yes, the specialized skills training is demanding and the dropout rate is fairly high.

My 2 cents

Hey guys I served in the US MArines as a sniper in the Infantry and some time in the US Army 5th Special forces group. The US MArines use to have a different mission all together. It was though that the US Navy could have its own lets say ground troops to fight a different battle while the US Army and the Air force would fight another this happened and was brought to light in WW2 while the Army for the most part fought the Germans and the Marines fought Japan. The Marines were used as an Amp. Landing unit Not Special force and not near as intensely trained as Rangers. But the Marines are a smaller unit compared to other Branches in the US. Special force in the US are used more so as a force mulitpler training up Locals that are againest the Goverment in power.

Most Special Forces troops come from the Rangers side it seems but the US Special Force are not just Army you have Navy Seals which are considered SF and Para Rescue from the Air force and I believe that SOCOM now looks at the Marine Corps Force Recon as an SF. All have different missions.

Most likely I have confused the matter more since I am tried and just typing away with out thinking first. LOL.

Either way we all play a important role and the troop is only as good as he trians weather he is just a grunt or SF we are all needed to complete the mission !

Hey guys I served in the US MArines as a sniper in the Infantry and some time in the US Army 5th Special forces group. The US MArines use to have a different mission all together. It was though that the US Navy could have its own lets say ground troops to fight a different battle while the US Army and the Air force would fight another this happened and was brought to light in WW2 while the Army for the most part fought the Germans and the Marines fought Japan. The Marines were used as an Amp. Landing unit Not Special force and not near as intensely trained as Rangers. But the Marines are a smaller unit compared to other Branches in the US. Special force in the US are used more so as a force mulitpler training up Locals that are againest the Goverment in power.

Wow!!! Sniper and 5th Group you must scare alotta people!!!!! Actually the US Army made more amphib landings in WWII than the USMC in the Pacific theater.

Compared to other Special Forces ???? The USMC is smaller ? Since when did the Corps come to be considered a Special Force? They are considered an elite unit with amphib capability. I'm also pretty sure damn near 100% sure that total numbers of all active, reserve and National Guard SF Groups are smaller than the total number of 1 Mar Div.

A force multipler? SF's misson is not a force multiplier, although it has been used as that by some commanders. Your talking ODA advisory capabilities and calling it a force multipler. Hmmmmmmmm. And you apparently think that Indig personnel are trained to only combat the goverment in power, did you fail Robin Sage???? Bet ya did.

Most Special Forces troops come from the Rangers side it seems but the US Special Force are not just Army you have Navy Seals which are considered SF and Para Rescue from the Air force and I believe that SOCOM now looks at the Marine Corps Force Recon as an SF. All have different missions.

United States Special Forces are only Army, only the Army has tab that says Special Forces, all other units are considered Special Operations units, hence USSOCOM. One would think that some one who's sportin a crest as an avatar and claimin to be an 8541 and and and a 18 series would freakin be go on that..........apparently not.

Most likely I have confused the matter more since I am tried and just typing away with out thinking first. LOL.

I think yer tryin to BS your way thru it.

Either way we all play a important role and the troop is only as good as he trians weather he is just a grunt or SF we are all needed to complete the mission !

How freakin magnanimous of you to include just us grunts there high speed. Your a freakin charmer you are!!!! Don't use the "we" cause I got serious questions about you already.

Embedded.

Back