US armed forces - Page 2

--

April 14th, 2004  
Jtf2

If an officer is in civilian clothing?
April 14th, 2004  
Redneck

I always salute any officer I recognize even if they are in civilian clothing, or if I am in civilians and they are in uniform (gotta keep my bases covered ). I do not know if it is SOP elsewhere, or if it is just left as a matter of courtesy.

There are also "safe" zones where saluting is not required, such as the Pentagon courtyard (I believe covers are also optional there), which is the largest such zone. Here we have a no-salute zone going out 15 meters from the officers' offices, outside, since there is so much brass traffic in that area.
April 15th, 2004  
Jtf2

Oh ok thanks for the info guys
--
April 16th, 2004  
Jamoni

There was a, shall we say, "androgenous" young officer who was frequently treated to the full regimental motto when being saluted, as we had NO IDEA whether to say "Always Ready, Sir!" or "Always Readay, Ma'am!"
April 16th, 2004  
Jtf2

Lol say "mistam"
April 17th, 2004  
JaegerWolf08

I never salute officers in the field, and when they get mad, I just remind them that if this was a combat enviorment they would be marked as a target. He if you want a 7.62x39 round in the Grape then be my guest....sir. But all of the really good officers don't salute in the field.

Saluting in civilian clothes though? I do believe that you are not supposed to. You are only supposed to recognize the officer, and give the the proper greeting of the day.

It is always funny seeing new LTs get saluted, they look so happy when you salute them.

Some officers avoid large groups of enlisted men just so they don't have to salute. We had one such officer, 2LT Hastings(bigtime *******) an FA officer. We knew he hating always giving out salutes so, we were walking in a gaggle, and when we saw him walking towards us, we all merged into one single file line, and spread out about 5-10 meters apart, just so he had to return ALL of our salutes.
April 17th, 2004  
JaegerWolf08

I just have one question about saluting, I was walking with two other guys, and a 1LT and MAJ were walking in the opposite direction, we saluted and only the MAJ returned the salute, so of course joe was like, "what the F***, over" and offended that the 1LT didn't return our salutes. When a junior and senior officer are walking together is the senior officer the only officer that is supposed to return the salute?
April 17th, 2004  
Redneck

Only the senior officer, I believe, because he is the one who you are saluting, like you wouldn't salute a 2LT on a parade ground when CPT is 10 feet away (I found out that was the wrong answer the fun way ).
May 3rd, 2004  
Marksman

Well,here in serbia MPs dont have to salute even to generals,weird.