Unwittingly, is the West enabling its future Executioners?

If only we could really make a difference... *sigh*

Billy Connolly summed it up pretty well when he said, "The very fact that a man shows an interest in politics, should be the one thing that precludes him from ever being allowed to become involved in it"

The United States' founding fathers agreed whole-heartedly with this notion. They abhored political parties and no one ever stood for office. He was chosen by his peers without ever making any solicited effort or suggestion. In fact many in their private memoirs or letters to friends and family betrayed disgust and reservation about being chosen but felt compelled to abide by the wishes of their countrymen and do their DUTY. Aye, the crux of the matter herein lies in that word... DUTY.

And thank you DB for that explanation. I truly enjoy knowing the full history of a phrase, it gives it more flavour.

Unfortunately, it seems that the terms, "Politics" and "Good Government" are totally and mutually exclusive of one another.

Duty has gone out the window and has been replaced with "What's in it for me"?

If our (collective) politicians spent the time and thought "Governing", that they spend on "Politicking" we would would have the best run countries in the world.

Last edited:
Well here's a surprise! Agreement from all sides incl Billy Connelly. I endorse those views wholeheartedly, and never more than now.

As for the phrase Bulldog, I share that love of words. Are we just an old pair of poets the world has passed by?

By the way Guys, I tested whether or not you were reading and paying attention to my posts.

Got ya, you rascals. There were ,in fact, deliberately, 8 deadly sins in that list.
1-0 to me I suggest.

I'm sorry to interupt this big group love-in, but you have all hijacked my thread. I feel like an Israeli jetliner in the 1970's.

Nevertheless some good posts above with interesting points.

"Sense of Duty," now there's a statue worth marble.

Well, sometimes it helps to stop banging one's head on the corner of the table for a moment or two. Please carry on soldier, I will just fade away.

No sulking now, I expect you to report for duty adding wit and wisdom where the opportunity arises.

Back