U.S. Guerilla tactics

--

December 10th, 2004  
playstation60

Topic: U.S. Guerilla tactics

Through the course of recent real life events in Iraq and Afghanistan, and through the research I've conducted for my novel. I am wondering if the U.S. would be able to put together a realistic effort into it's own guerilla tactics, if the country was invaded. What I am asking is, what do you feel is the likihood of the U.S. being able to mount a sufficient defense, in the event the U.S. is invaded, and control of the country were to fall in to enemy hands? Would the U.S. employ tactics such as those used in Iraq and Afghanistan?

I apologize if this post makes no sense. I will clarify as best I can, if need be.

Ben
December 10th, 2004  
03USMC

Are you talking about the general population or the military?
December 10th, 2004  
playstation60

Topic: Now that you mention

Both, now that you mention it.

How able is the U.S. military at pulling off such operations?

Ben
--
December 10th, 2004  
03USMC

The US Army SF are very good alot of units train at small unit tactics. General population? I'd say in rural areas you might get a fair amount of resistance. Urban areas would be different more bombings etc.
December 10th, 2004  
leandros

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
The US Army SF are very good alot of units train at small unit tactics. General population? I'd say in rural areas you might get a fair amount of resistance. Urban areas would be different more bombings etc.
How could any nation occupy U.S. as a whole. I mean, not just the size of the country but the number of large cities?

I should think American citizens, more than anybody, would be ready and able to wage a guerilla war. A rebellion needs a cause, people and the euqipment - voila!
December 10th, 2004  
playstation60

Topic: Occupation

I, personally, believe that no country is impervious to invasion. If the right force comes along, and they have the motivation and scheme to pull it off, just about anything can happen.

For the purpose of the first novel in my series, the U.S. will not be completely captured. It will be a case similar to what happened in Iraq. The government will be as a whole toppled, leaving remanants to band together and mount a resistance of some sort.

I asked the question about if the U.S. would be able to effectively mount a campaign of guerilla warfare, because of what is going in in Afghanistan and Iraq. To some, not saying me, our lack of control over the insurgents could signify a lack of understanding of guerilla warfare, and I was curious to see what everyone thought would be possible from our country, given it has been taken over, and how effective we'd be able to fight.

Ben
December 10th, 2004  
egoz

I think a US occupation would be interesting. I'd like to see how those gang members with all those automatic weapons handle themselves in that situation. I don't expect them to come out and be patriotic or anything, but with someone shooting back at them with similar weapons I wonder how they would fight.
December 10th, 2004  
EagleZtrike

Guerilla Tactics in U.S might be more organized than the groups in Iraq or Afghanistan
December 11th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Take a walk around Manhattan... and don't forget to take a walk on the riversides as well. Look into the city and ask yourself, "how the hell am I going to take this if I was ordered to?"
December 11th, 2004  
Locke

no i dont belive they will be able to because congress would not be able to stomach the things they need to do to succeed. if they didn't have that then yes, they would probably be quite good at it, given correct training and equipment