Turkey, member of European Union? - Page 3

--
Boots

March 10th, 2005  
serbianpower

I don't have to admit any such thing for the simple reason that I _never said_ it was the same thing. But even if I had said such a thing, Iran and Iraq are on _Turkey's_ borders not your country's. Your analogy doesn't hold water. Europe even with the EU is not one country like the 50 states of the US are. Admittance to the EU is not going to change any determined terrorist's moving about anymore than they ability they have now. We're thousands of miles and an ocean away from the Middle East and still terrorists hijacked two planes and crashed into the Twin Towers killing 2600 people. Nobody's safe from terrorism by anything so marginal as borders.[/quote]

if you pass any of the borders of eu you can travel with no limits, there are no visible borders, just like in us, only the road signes are on different language. my analogy does hold water.
March 10th, 2005  
Charge 7

No customs checkpoints? Nobody watching the border?
March 10th, 2005  
serbianpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
nope. been there, done that. if you are eu citizen, you do not even need a passport if you are eu citizen. so if you get into eu in turkey(hipotetically) and you are going to ireland, your road is clear. u got the point now?
--
Boots
March 10th, 2005  
Charge 7

You don't need a passport for anyplace in Europe then? Nobody makes note of who comes or goes? Interesting, I wasn't aware that it was so open now. I could understand your concern in such a case. Still, keeping Turkey out of the EU hasn't made you safe. Certainly didn't help Spain any. And I think the Turks will jealously guard their borders.
March 11th, 2005  
Darcia

Basicly Europe is like the United States now, except instead of states with no rights and small federal militaries, it is with states that have 10 millions of people a ton of rights, and a gigantic military.
March 11th, 2005  
Corocotta

Quote:
They're irrelevant. Add the 7 million and Turkey is still 12 million short of Germany's 82 million, and as Doppleganger stated, France will vote in a block with Germany to have more than double the amount of seats Turkey would have. And borders are also irrelevant in today's world of terrorism. 9/11 certainly proved that.
having a border with a country full of terrorist is not irrelevant.Why did the israelians made The Wall then????
March 11th, 2005  
Corocotta

Quote:
You don't need a passport for anyplace in Europe then? Nobody makes note of who comes or goes? Interesting, I wasn't aware that it was so open now. I could understand your concern in such a case. Still, keeping Turkey out of the EU hasn't made you safe. Certainly didn't help Spain any. And I think the Turks will jealously guard their borders.
The terrorist that bombed the trains on 11-M(The aniversary is today) were coming from Morocco. And Spain has border lines with Morocco, remember that Spain has two cities in north Africa(Ceuta y melilla). Border lines are not irrelevant again.
March 11th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbianpower
Quote:
nope. been there, done that. if you are eu citizen, you do not even need a passport if you are eu citizen. so if you get into eu in turkey(hipotetically) and you are going to ireland, your road is clear. u got the point now?
You still need a passport to get into the UK, from mainland Europe and vice versa. Not sure about Eire. I know for UK it's because of it being an island.
March 11th, 2005  
Charge 7

"The terrorist that bombed the trains on 11-M(The aniversary is today) were coming from Morocco. And Spain has border lines with Morocco"

"Border lines are not irrelevant again."

You contradicted your own statement.
March 11th, 2005  
serbianpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by serbianpower
Quote:
You still need a passport to get into the UK, from mainland Europe and vice versa. Not sure about Eire. I know for UK it's because of it being an island.
ok, but you can still place bomb in tram station in amsterdam, hit the road and get to syria in few days.