Turkey, member of European Union? - Page 10

--
Boots

February 4th, 2006  
Damien435

I can't help but agree with the Turkish Prime Minister in principle, but not on this particular issue.

For instance, we were tracking Osama because we knew his cell phone number, the press published this fact and then Osama got a new phone, several months later 9/11.
February 4th, 2006  
Ted

Of course does freedom of speech needs to be redefined. But whatever you say, everybody can hear it nowadays. And even the nonsence of some is kicking up a whirlwind somewhere on the planet.

The cartoons are to my opinion not even nearly as blasphemous as it could get and their way-over-the-top reaction startels me. Maybe I should listen to Gladius more often......
February 4th, 2006  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
I can't help but agree with the Turkish Prime Minister in principle, but not on this particular issue.

For instance, we were tracking Osama because we knew his cell phone number, the press published this fact and then Osama got a new phone, several months later 9/11.

Protecting national security interests is one thing, but in this case The Turkish minister was referring to limiting free speech when it comes to religon. And definatly thats a no-no in democratic society, Europe is not a Islamic theocracy.
--
Boots
February 4th, 2006  
phoenix80

for those who think Armenian genocide never happened

http://www.armenian-genocide.org
February 6th, 2006  
Ted

I heard that people were marching to the embassies of several European countries, because of the cartoons. Let's see what Turkey is made of? I can't think of a better test then a choice between a fundamental western value and a religion. This is where the shared history kicks in. Are you prepared to embrace freedom of speech or do you keep embracing religion as a political tool. If you choose to latter don't bother applying for a EU-seat, at least imo.

(So far I heard that the government thwarted any attack on the embassies, so far so good.)
February 6th, 2006  
oRTouCH

Everyone can create a web site that supports an unreal genocide!!!!

Here is another web site that supports Armenian Genocide is a BIG LIE!

http://www.armenian-genocide-lie.com/
February 6th, 2006  
Damien435

Ok, Ortouch, we get it, hundreds of thousands of Armenians died because the Ottomans forced them to march hundreds of miles without providing them proper food, clothing, medical attention or shelter. Totally not the government's fault.</sarcasm>
February 6th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRTouCH
Everyone can create a web site that supports an unreal genocide!!!!
yes but no one can deny the massacre of hundreds of thousands of Armenian in the hand of the Turks and you better accept the reality.