'Torture-tainted evidence' mars US legal image: rights group (AFP)

--
Boots

March 10th, 2008  
News Manager

Topic: 'Torture-tainted evidence' mars US legal image: rights group (AFP)

AFP - The use of torture to extract evidence from detainees in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba has tarnished the US legal system's image and alienated allies in the war on terror, a rights group said Monday.

Read more...
March 11th, 2008  
senojekips

This typical of what happens when the judiciary are too weak to stand up for what is right and the President uses his power of veto like some petty third world dictator.

Now virtually every piece of evidence is inadmissible in the eyes of the world, and refusal to admit it will only further smudge the image of the US.

Will those responsible be bought to justice?.... No way!
March 11th, 2008  
The Other Guy

"Torture is evil, unless we're doing it."

It's why half the world hates America.
--
Boots
March 11th, 2008  
MontyB

It certainly makes it difficult to hold the moral high ground on human rights.

How do you pressure the likes of China, Cuba and the countless other dodgy third world nation into improving their human rights record when you are as guilty as they are, lets face it they all swear and declare that they are protecting their citizens from terrorism and this is a necessary step to doing that.
March 11th, 2008  
LeEnfield

People that will cut your throat for television entertainment are requesting their human rights. Also has every forgotten just how they treated people in their own country who did not share their own views. I think we should remember that many of these people are dangerous terrorist and should be treated accordingly.
March 12th, 2008  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
People that will cut your throat for television entertainment are requesting their human rights. Also has every forgotten just how they treated people in their own country who did not share their own views. I think we should remember that many of these people are dangerous terrorist and should be treated accordingly.
I see this as no reason why we should lower our moral standing to compete with them as world pariahs. For the last 100 yeaqrs or so, we in the West have prided ourselves as being "the Good Guys".
March 12th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Either that... or don't whine about human rights in the first place.
March 14th, 2008  
Missileer

Topic: Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
"Torture is evil, unless we're doing it."

It's why half the world hates America.
Is that statistic from your personal anaylsis or did the king of the world drop you a note concerning that bit of info. I would doubt that 50% of the world's population would even think about America, bad or good.

I prefer to have a source for such a broad condemnation of my Country.
If you can't back it up or were just tonge jousting, stick to data that is proven by a headcount. An apology to true Americans seems appropriate.
March 14th, 2008  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Is that statistic from your personal anaylsis or did the king of the world drop you a note concerning that bit of info. I would doubt that 50% of the world's population would even think about America, bad or good.
Well,.. speaking as a "furriner", I think you seriously under rate the USAs affect on all things in this world. Whoever said "When the USA sneezes the world catches a cold" was pretty near the mark.

Virtually everything that goes on in US has a run down effect. This is especially so in the case of developing countries who see these things and think, "Well the Yanks do it, why shouldn't we"? And I feel they are quite right in their assumptions.

Ask someone if they dislike Australian policies, and they reply "Where the F**k is Australia. But try it with the USA and you'll get certainly get a reaction of some sort.
March 15th, 2008  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
Well,.. speaking as a "furriner", I think you seriously under rate the USAs affect on all things in this world. Whoever said "When the USA sneezes the world catches a cold" was pretty near the mark.

Virtually everything that goes on in US has a run down effect. This is especially so in the case of developing countries who see these things and think, "Well the Yanks do it, why shouldn't we"? And I feel they are quite right in their assumptions.

Ask someone if they dislike Australian policies, and they reply "Where the F**k is Australia. But try it with the USA and you'll get certainly get a reaction of some sort.
Spike,

I don't think the rest of the world is so absorbed by the US that half of the globe hates us. Hate is a pretty strong emotion and takes more than hearsay and newspapers to stir that much anti-
American feeling. When one is squatting beside a mud puddle with nothing left to eat, I'll wager that politics isn't foremost in their priorities.

If polled as "man on the street", most of the anti-American crowd can't name anyone except President Bush or, if they can, won't know their role in government or any accomplishments/flubs they
have been responsible for.

The anti-Bush crowd keeps repeating a mantra of hate until even the dull witted will learn by rote. In doing so out of hatred for President Bush, they actually hurt America because, as their bile becomes more vicious, the unknowing will begin to use guilt by association just as they did during the Viet Nam war. That hurts a lot of brave, innocent young warriors, some who gave their last.

I don't know any other way of saying how I feel about those who want to collapse this country from within except that they are doing a good job of it by word of mouth alone. I believe the Founding Fathers used the word "domestic" to describe that particular brand of enemy.