Timisoara and Tianamen square incident - similarities?

leandros

My immediate reaction to the inputs from China in this period was how little real facts surfaced - after all the international medias were there in force. Loss figures for the demonstrators just seemed to be churned up again and again. Typical is that "many were killed in the sidestreets" - after the demonstration at the square itself had been relatively peacefully split up.

Knowing what was at stake at the time - with Hong Kong soon to be taken over by China - I wouldn't be surprised to learn that certain organisations were involved in a blown-up "kill" figure. After all, the tank did stop for the guy with the plastic bags. On the other hand, the Chinese authorities announced that approx. 400 unarmed Chinese soldiers had been killed by provocateurs.

The whole situation reminded me of the uproar in Rumania some years ago. From the town of Timisoara was reported that many were killed, then hundreds, then thousands. Finally, the figure stod at 30.000 civilians killed (that should, then, amount to approx. 100.000 wounded). A few weeks later a Norwegian doctor that worked at the largest hospital in Timisoara could, at his return to Norway, inform that at "his" hospital, 1 - one person had been treated for injuries that could be related to the "uproar" - maybe!

Discussing anything item where the People's Republic of China may or may not have done or said something wrong -- well, it's 100% pointless trying to discuss it apparently.

I don't know much of anything about Timisoara, can you provide some info?

my father has a friend who was in 38th army and he was a army truck driver in the army, they wnet to Tiananmen square in 1989, his hand still has a scar of being hit by a huge rock through from a student, one of his comrade was been captured by students and workers and burned to death.....

he said there were shootings from army , mostly on the way to the squre, when soldiers surrouened the students on the square, they let the students go, they didn't slaughter them, this can be proven by the video...

his army friend told him they heard their officers mummring about 400 corpses been buried near many hospitals

but then again, the students and provokers were very out of control, like a person first time on drugs..

anyways, it was wrong for the pla to open fire politically, individually, there is no other way but to protect one's life.

i believe it is right for PLA to do that..for the stability of whole nation,
if we tolerate those students, whole china may fall into chaos...that will be even worse than letting communist rule

we believe in slow and stable changing.

to stablize china is also good for the whole world,
world economy needs china as a new power house,
the wolrd also do not want china falls into chaos and all those ppl rush to other counties or all those military tech fall into hands of terrosits.

so do piss china off, if they do, china will make china's enemies' enmeis as friends and we will give them nukes

id like to see countries fight china on china's own territory, they are so fu.... screwed, partisan troops proved very powerful--->

the japs are so owned by small group action, i think its wise for the world not to fool around with china

japan will be wasted soon, in future...
we got mid-range missles specific for them...one big nuke for Tokoyo will kill proabably 10 million..japs have to pay for wut they have done in china ....

If the PLA believed that they might have needed to open fire, they should have brought the right gear for the right situation -- tear gas and rubber bullets, etc. By all accounts, rubber bullets generally DO stop anybody that would have been stopped by a regular bullet. Without non-lethal gear, their very presence opened the potential for disaster.

I think it was partly a matter of a Transitioning Communist Regime problem. How and when to lay aside the Iron Fist?

I don't think any of us will doubt that if a simliar demonstration had occurred in the 50's, most or all participents would have probably been killed. Tianamen was a shock because the world thought that China had complete changed already.

tear gas and rubber bullets

Good point, but already being talked numerous times in China.

The fact is:
Before 1989, there was no single tear gas gun or rubber bullet, since CCP never thought about there would be such a demonstration and it could go out of hand.

But now, PRC has plenty of Tear gas and Rubber bullets, AND especially for handling internal troubles, they have created a 1 million strong Armed Police Corps.

Just check my old pictures of the Armed Police and Riot Police.

We have LEARNED from the lessons.

ya, check out the SWAT look alike teams, tehy are prety well armed.. guess anybody trying another riot is going to be owned

u know ppl. my dad's friend told me it was really a crazy time..

hard to make a decision..ppl are throughing rock at u..ur leader is roaring at me..ur comarades are dying..

by the way, army do not have tear gas shit..armed police have those stuff, but army have only real bullets,

i doubt armed police commander will excute that order, since even 38th army's old commander refused to open fire on ppl

FlyingFrog said:
tear gas and rubber bullets

Good point, but already being talked numerous times in China.

The fact is:
Before 1989, there was no single tear gas gun or rubber bullet, since CCP never thought about there would be such a demonstration and it could go out of hand.

But now, PRC has plenty of Tear gas and Rubber bullets, AND especially for handling internal troubles, they have created a 1 million strong Armed Police Corps.

Just check my old pictures of the Armed Police and Riot Police.

We have LEARNED from the lessons.
This is good news to anybody, naturally. Having weapons and police who are specialized in nonlethal riot control means that if something like Tianamen happens again, its not going to kill very many people, if any at all.

Back