Thrown Out of UDF for Wearing a Sweatshirt

Happens in many places during election time. It's a lot less nowadays here but back a few years ago during election times if you were from the wrong region you could have problem finding a gas station to fill your car.

Happens outside of election time too I'm afraid. Liberals have their faults, but the thing that galls me the most is the lack of tolerance amongst conservatives toward other peoples opposing views. This isn't just a few individuals, but as of the mid-1990s the conservative ideology preaches hatred toward anyone who disagrees with them. It has literally become permitted and encouraged to hate the other side.

Ideologies that preach hatred, we have been down that path before in the 20th century.

Happens outside of election time too I'm afraid. Liberals have their faults, but the thing that galls me the most is the lack of tolerance amongst conservatives toward other peoples opposing views. This isn't just a few individuals, but as of the mid-1990s the conservative ideology preaches hatred toward anyone who disagrees with them. It has literally become permitted and encouraged to hate the other side.

Ideologies that preach hatred, we have been down that path before in the 20th century.

just wow.

just wow.

Don't believe me? Listen to Fox News sometime, or Rush or Savage, or Coulter, or better yet the establishment of the GOP. Its pure hatred.
Better yet, listen to Sarah Palin's {Obama} "pals around with terrorists" nasty and unfounded remark from yesterday. Or better yet do a search under "liberal" here on this forum...and you'll see what I mean.

Then try telling me it what I said isn't true with a straight face. Its a shame too because 30 years ago the GOP used to be about grand ideas.

BTW I used to be a registered Republican myself.

Last edited:
To be honest I think you are confusing hatred with fear, Fox rarely tell you that you should hate someone or something but they constantly tell you to be afraid of it.

This ties in very much with the post Perseus made a few weeks back http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/political-views-ingrained-related-fear-t67436.html

A lot of this is pointed out in the book "Outfoxed" which I found amusing as you can see the same tactic in some peoples activities here.

Last edited:
To be honest I think you are confusing hatred with fear, Fox rarely tell you that you should hate someone or something but they constantly tell you to be afraid of it.

This ties in very much with the post Perseus made a few weeks back http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/political-views-ingrained-related-fear-t67436.html

A lot of this is pointed out in the book "Outfoxed" which I found amusing as you can see the same tactic in some peoples activities here.
----------------------------------------------------

Its precisely the same thing. As Yoda once said, Fear turns to anger, anger turns to hatred, hatred turns to suffering. That might have been said by a fictional character, but that's a true statement.

The right DOES preach Fear, but it also preaches Hatred. I saw a member here posting that the economic collapse was the fault of the liberals. That's like the Nazis claiming the Reichstag fire was the fault of the Jews, and we all know what happened to the Jews after the Reichstag fire.

I could state example after example:

Rev. Falwell blaming 9-11 on liberals and Gays
Fred Phelps blaming the ills of this world on gays
Sean hannity's book is titled "Deliver Us From Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism and Liberalism".
Michelle Milken suggested we shoot liberal members of Congress who oppose the Iraq war as traitors.
McCain brother, Joe McCain just called Alexandria in Northern Virginia (a Democratic area near Washington DC) "Communist Country".

And I could go on the number of incitements of violence against liberals with the occasional wacko actually carries violence out.
Google the words "kill liberals", and just see the number of hits. People weren't born to hate liberals they were taught to by the "liberal" media.

Last edited:
I am sorry but I am not convinced that responsibility for this sort of nut job falls on right wing media (or vice versa) it is easy to draw parallels with anything using a small subset of data but in the end the individual is responsible for their own actions.

In the case that we have here I think it is simply two politically "sensitive" people getting carried away and provoking each other into stupid acts.

I'd feel sorry for her if it weren't for “I probably know more about John McCain than you do,”

That type of snobbishness just rubs me the wrong way. I also hate it when people, regardless of their affiliations, feel the need to advertise their political beliefs on their clothing or vehicles. Barker seems like she was purposely being confrontational, I would've just said "Nope, sell me this and I'm leaving."

Of course the response from the store was totally out of proportion and honestly seems a bit insane.

Actually I think a certain level of fear is probably warranted. For example if you're going really fast down hill in your car and the brakes are out and the wheel is the only thing that seems to be functioning, not feeling any sense of fear usually means you don't have any sense of respect for the situation.
However, making that fear of something that has a pretty remote chance of happening to you directly is taking it way out of proportion.
About fear leading to anger and then to suffering... it's pretty much a take on Buddhism. You only fear when you fear loss and you only fear loss when you have an attachment to something. Buddhism encourages that you detach yourself from all these worldly things. The extreme is that it means that even if you were at home and some guy broke in and started stabbing your mother to death you really shouldn't feel anything... actually that's their enlightened state (though they never quite word it that way). Applied with some serious moderation however, it's pretty decent advice.
The other saying from a famous puppet show would be, "There are three kinds of people on this earth; :cens: Which is also a pretty good model of how things work.
I think the "I know about McCain than you," really put the last nail in the coffin.
But you see how the propaganda machines of both parties work so well in brainwashing two sides into hating each other so much.
As for the flip side, you can always quote Obama's wife on how she just hates America so much. And she's going to be the First Lady if Obama wins (which certainly looks to be the case). So it's not like the Republican side is the only one with all the hate. Also that reverend guy who was so close to Obama who also hates America. Heck, if you think about it, could be even worse because although Republicans hate people left of the spectrum (or even in the middle for that matter), people on the far left have actually been hating AMERICA. So there's plenty of hate to go around.
And as for Palin, she's most effective if she just shuts up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back