'They' Still Want to Take Internet from US

phoenix80

Banned
'They' Still Want to Take Internet from US
By J. Grant Swank Jr. (11/19/05)

According to AP Matt Moore: "’The United States deserves our thanks for having developed the Internet and making it available to the world,' the U.N. head Kofi Annan told media. ‘But I think you also all acknowledge the need for more international participation in discussions of Internet governance issues.'"

There you have it. There are those "out there" determined to take the Internet out of the US surveillance. They are hankering to lay their powers over the cyberspace marvel. They are determined that the US can no longer continue to continue.

"’We haven't resolved everything, but the principle is that all governments have an equal role in responsibility,’ said Yoshio Utsumi, secretary-general of the International Telecommunication Union, the U.N. agency that organized the summit."

Can you feel the tenacity in those remarks. It’s there and it won’t slacken. What Utsumi meant by "responsibility" equals "power" and "control."

"The 25-member EU bloc said the deal would, in the end, give more countries a voice on domain name policies, including the prickly situation of providing domain suffixes in languages other than English.

"EU spokesman Martin Selmayr said the final ‘inclusive and global’ deal was largely based on the EU's proposal, particularly the creation of the international forum and a declaration that no country should be involved in decisions affecting another country's country-code suffix, such as ‘cn’ for China."

There were those who left the recent conclave confident that the US was still in the driver’s seat. All that has changed within hours. If the clutches "out there" have their final say, the US may be on the back burner.

"’The Internet has become such an important global network and an important infrastructure, that it goes beyond the framework of one state,’ Russian Information Technologies Minister Leonid Reiman told Itar-Tass. ‘ITU has proved it is capable of doing the job.’

"David Gross, the U.S. State Department's top official on Internet policy, said simply that the deal preserved ‘the unique role of the United States government in assuring the reliability and stability of the Internet.’"

But Gross may be daydreaming at best.

FOOTNOTE:

UN WANTS TO CONTROL INTERNET (November 17, 2005)

J. Grant Swank, Jr.

"World Summit On The Information Society."

That sounds tame enough. Take off its cover and you come upon the United Nations controlling the World Wide Web.

In Tunisia planners for the takeover meet. Bottomline: The United States would forfeit its overseeing the World Wide Web as the United Nations would step in to do just that.

There are those who believe that eventually the world community will be overseen by the demonic leadership maximum. No human being will have a private life. All will be regulated by the power clutch horrific. This UN control measure simply furthers this fear. As time moves along, some of these conjectures do not seem as outlandish as they might have appeared fifty years ago.

The Internet is now the globe’s most significant engine for communication and economic expansion. It is underlined with the freedom of personal liberty. However, if the UN assumes control, that personal liberty will be past history.

The conclave meeting to take control of the World Wide Web makes its proposal to sound particularly humanitarian.

However, anyone who has any suspicions of the UN realizes that there is little humanitarian about the world community organization.

Some have concluded that many in the UN are mere thugs. They represent rogue nations. They are individuals in upscale garb who are in fact overseers of murder and mayhem back at home base. Therefore, there is no real trust level on the part of the suspicious when it comes to the UN power structure.

Unless Americans are cognizant of this meeting taking place as I type, measures could proceed quietly toward the desired end that the UN meeting has in its pocket the World Wide Web. Knowledge to the masses is imperative.

Kofi Annan colleagues have long endorsed UN control of the World Wide Web. They have envisioned an Internet tax levied. They philosophize that the World Wide Web belongs to the world community control. There would be much monetary yield to gain for the UN if the latter took control.

Naturally, UN control of the World Wide Web would put it into the hands of the despots. That surely cannot be tolerated by freedom-based nations.

Consider that Iran, China and Cuba are all part of the planning session taking place presently. Imagine what will result of those countries alone set the future agenda for the World Wide Web.

Those fearing a one-world control of any kind had better sit up and take note, informing the legislative bodies throughout freedom-based countries that UN control of the World Wide Web cannot be tolerated.

US President George W. Bush and administration must speak publicly concerning this threat to personal liberties. The US Congress must pass legislation not permitting it to come close to American shores.

http://www.americandaily.com/article/10274

----------------------

I think we should let the UN and EU develop their own net, then let the free market decide which it wants.

Yeah, because if there's one thing in the world that's broken and needs more people fixing it... it's the internet.

Notice how the UN always wants its hand in something that's already successful? They won't lift a hand to fix real problems like genocide in Africa but they're more than happy to sink their claws into something that's considered one of the most important inventions of all time.

"You've done a great job US with that internet, we'll take it from here, thanks"

I wish I could do that. I don't want to actually raise a kid for the first 10 years of it's life, the fun part is after chaning the diaper and such. So I'll just walk in to someone's house and grab one of their happy well-adjusted babies. They did the work, now it's time for me to go play baseball with him.

Whispering Death said:
Yeah, because if there's one thing in the world that's broken and needs more people fixing it... it's the internet.

Notice how the UN always wants its hand in something that's already successful? They won't lift a hand to fix real problems like genocide in Africa but they're more than happy to sink their claws into something that's considered one of the most important inventions of all time.

"You've done a great job US with that internet, we'll take it from here, thanks"

I wish I could do that. I don't want to actually raise a kid for the first 10 years of it's life, the fun part is after chaning the diaper and such. So I'll just walk in to someone's house and grab one of their happy well-adjusted babies. They did the work, now it's time for me to go play baseball with him.

Good point!

But it is worth mentioning that wherever UN steps in, that place or thing becomes a miserable place or a broken thing

Well guys, for once I have to agree with you! :D I reckon that a UN- net is a bit overregulating things....
My only concern is that IF there comes an issue with the internet, that the US does take other serious users into account. To just say it's our toy you do what we like, is one sure way to lose "friends". But losing friends isn't a top-priority in world politics..... so: I'm just hoping here!

The question is not the Internet itself - but the DNS servers that controls the routing of web and IP addresses. If one of these servers collapse or fail - millions of websites will be unavailable for public access. Most of these are located in the US and the core of the discussion is to get all these servers located in the US for whatever reason they have.

The UN will always try to gain access over services and technology that benefit the worlds population - I see their point to some level but in the end of the road the UN should concentrate on what they do best, world diplomacy and food and cultural programmes, not (sad to say) outdated TCP/IP software technology.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
If the Americans won't share their internet, we (the rest of the world) should make our own, rather than complain.

Yep you have to and then the rest of the world (us) will determine if it is a good one to go with....

The internet wont be around forever, although its been in practice over a decade its concept is actually much more dated. In Europe (I think Sweden) they are already testing a project called Internet2. As of right know only research institutes and certain universities are equipped. One of the things that is going to change will be the domain name distribution system. Making this whole arguement moot.

Oh and in case your intrested Internet2 is MUCH faster. Last year some researchers at Cambridge broke a record when they transfered an entire DVD (4.7 Gigs) to Berekley California in 8 seconds!

mmarsh said:
The internet wont be around forever, although its been in practice over a decade its concept is actually much more dated. In Europe (I think Sweden) they are already testing a project called Internet2. As of right know only research institutes and certain universities are equipped. One of the things that is going to change will be the domain name distribution system. Making this whole arguement moot.

Oh and in case your intrested Internet2 is MUCH faster. Last year some researchers at Cambridge broke a record when they transfered an entire DVD (4.7 Gigs) to Berekley California in 8 seconds!

The good old TCP/IP protocols are getting sadly outdated and neglected - never the less they are 1) expanding the IP address list in order to meet the demand for new domain names and 2) ADSL2 and WI-FI Max technology is getting available on the marked as we speak.

NextGenTel in Norway can provide a 20000/1200 mpbs node (ADSL2) 8) which should be enough for just about anyone :D

Back