Tactics - Page 2

--

October 8th, 2004  
KAMIKAZI

Yeah I agree, like in Iraq there was really no chance for them so tactics didnt come into play really.
October 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I think we are running into two different definitions of the word "Tactics". Lets define that word please.
October 8th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Tactics = How to achieve the Goal.

Of course Tactic means a lot more in battles.
--
October 8th, 2004  
KAMIKAZI

My understanding of tactics is your typical "right colonel I want those cavaly units hidden behind that brow of the eastern hill and my infantry marched towards their cannons to make them feel to secure so when my husaars charge from behind the hill their cannons are over faced" thats my defenition of the word tactic if you get my meaning
October 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

To me, tactics is implentation on the battlefield opperational level. The overall Strategy is defined before the battle. Tactics is on the smaller scale and is a lot of "how to adjust to X changes" on smaller unit scale.
October 8th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Strategy is: the goal defined by the nation's government or the amy upper-commander, what to achieve in the War.

Tactic is: how to win a battle, may it be small or large battle, anyway keep in mind a battle is only a component of a War.

The Stragegy is achieved by all the underlying successful and failed tactics.
October 8th, 2004  
SHERMAN

as far as im concerned, yes.
I think you can devide it to a few diffrent levles.

Super-Stratigic:
This is the highest level. National policy, Force building, Alliances....

Stratigic:
This level is from the GHQ and down to the division HQs. We are talking war planning, logistics, setting stratigic goals during war, and so on.

Super Tactical:
This level is for Brigade Commanders and Betallion Commanders. This would include managing their force in order to achieve goals set by the stratigic level. Planning specific operations.

Tactical:
This is the lowest level. This is basically commanding comapny and smaller sized forces in combat.

Alright. IMHO the basics of Super-Strategy and Strategy remain the same over the years. Things just happen faster, but the basics are the same.
On the Tactical levels, technology has changed alot of stuff. However, just because the weapons are advanced, dose not mean you dont need tctics. Yuo just need ones developed for the weapons and tech you have. You should never intreduce a weapon you dont know how to use tactically. Last time that happened on a large scale was WWI, and we all know how that looked...
October 8th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

SHERMAN summaried it pretty good.

It is in a layered way.

Strategy is more abstract, Tactic is more detail.
October 8th, 2004  
RnderSafe

I sure would like to know where some of you, especially Kamikazi, are getting your misinformation, er, I mean information.
October 9th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The levels are:
Strategic
Operational
Tactical

It's about level of involvement more than unit size.
Sun Tzu's stuff is largely Strategic. The ideas are applicable at all levels, but most relevent at the strategic level.