T-90 VS Leopard 2

--

July 13th, 2009  
Zastava-Arms

Topic: T-90 VS Leopard 2

Title says it all. Dont bother "Depends which crew is better", thats the most obvious thing anyone can know.

Which is better, T-90 or Leopard 2

Im guessing nobody would say T-90 [Seeing as it is Russian], but im interested.
July 13th, 2009  
EladBell

why would you think that if it is russian then no body would vote.
the machine as a machine(with out the crew) in russia is good,now i dont know a thing of the Leopard,i know many people throwned it to be the best ever,and i disagree.
think is that tanks,men,aircraft and all military equipment and hardwarecannot be tested in thorey.
the Tiger II was far better than the Shermans and yet the Shermans did win.
the Siryan Tanks at the 1973 war was state of the art then and yet the Israeli tanks destroyed many of them.
my poiint is that it can only be decide in a true combat,so i would stop trying to figure out which i better.
they say that the best weapon is the weapon you never use.
let's hope the Leopard and the T-90 will never be used again.
July 13th, 2009  
Zastava-Arms

I think nobody would say "T-90" because everyone here says "Russian equipment is pathetic and obsolete". I have nothing against Russia [Nor America, incase any of you decide to call me a Russian loving bum. BOTH countries, including Russia, have made and STILL make great equipment]
--
July 13th, 2009  
brillix

On the battlefield ? Who knows... a lot of aspects should be considered to conclude which one is better..
July 14th, 2009  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zastava-Arms
I think nobody would say "T-90" because everyone here says "Russian equipment is pathetic and obsolete". I have nothing against Russia [Nor America, incase any of you decide to call me a Russian loving bum. BOTH countries, including Russia, have made and STILL make great equipment]
I am going to go against the politically correct crowd and say that the Leopard 2 will win in at least 99 out of 100 cases assuming the crews are at least similar in quality.
Why?
Because Russian equipment is pathetic and obsolete at least in terms of armour.

It has nothing to really to do with the tank itself and I am almost prepared to say that the Russians still make the best tank gun on the market but that means absolutely nothing when the L2 can pretty much detect and destroy you at twice the range the T-90 can.

It Russia could develop targeting and stablisation systems that were anywhere near the quality that the west produces then they will produce a good competitive tank.
July 14th, 2009  
EladBell

I disagree Monty,you do have a point there,but i think that in an open battle there can be suprises and we have seen these suprises before,you are 100% right about the L2 supirior to the T-90 but still i dont think the L2 will win 99/100 of the battles.
it just osent sound clever to put these 2 in thoery against each other,as I said,there are quite alot of suprises in the modern battlfield.
July 14th, 2009  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EladBell
I disagree Monty,you do have a point there,but i think that in an open battle there can be suprises and we have seen these suprises before,you are 100% right about the L2 supirior to the T-90 but still i dont think the L2 will win 99/100 of the battles.
it just osent sound clever to put these 2 in thoery against each other,as I said,there are quite alot of suprises in the modern battlfield.
You are right, the L2 crew may take a day off at which point it would be a closer fight than the other 99 times.

Seriously the difference in the physical design of these two vehicles is not all that great outside appearance but the difference in fire control systems is the deciding factor and it is a big enough difference to make the T-90 a non-starter.

In fact I would go as far as saying that if you gave a T-90 six months of Western redesign work it would kick the snot out of Russian T-90s.

I think the gap is closing but not particularly quickly.
July 14th, 2009  
EladBell

i do agree tht the russian T-90 will be infirior to the pimp my tank T-90 but still,u cannot foresee the result of a tank battle.
July 14th, 2009  
ObjSRgtLw

I will help to end the discussion here with my inside knowledge:
the Leopard is better and the world's best tank ever- period.
problem solved,
Thank you for your attention

ps.: and no, I'm not taking sides on this one ... -_-
July 14th, 2009  
EladBell

as a german u ought to know that the panzer and the tiger were considered the best tanks in the world..
ill end my post here