Subject: GUN CONTROL - Page 9




 
--
Subject: GUN CONTROL
 
May 21st, 2006  
WarMachine
 
 
Subject: GUN CONTROL
I don't think people need to defend themselves if you have an efficient law enforcement agency. Vigilantes and militias aren't the model of the enforcement wing of America. If your government is relatively uncorrupt then you won't have to worry about them trying to oppress you and take away your rights. In any case assault rifles shouldn't be purchased legally by civilians since they're military grade firearms. You're telling me you're going to hunt deer with an m16 or ak47? Small arms like pistols needs to be more tightly regulated as well, why? Because criminals have them on their bodies and are easy to conceal. This isn't about the rights of the 2nd amendment, this is about safety on our streets. I respect those who use their guns responsibly but i like to see you defend against gun enforcement when all it does is reduce murder and violence.
May 21st, 2006  
Chief Bones
 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
I don't think people need to defend themselves if you have an efficient law enforcement agency. Vigilantes and militias aren't the model of the enforcement wing of America. If your government is relatively uncorrupt then you won't have to worry about them trying to oppress you and take away your rights. In any case assault rifles shouldn't be purchased legally by civilians since they're military grade firearms. You're telling me you're going to hunt deer with an m16 or ak47? Small arms like pistols needs to be more tightly regulated as well, why? Because criminals have them on their bodies and are easy to conceal. This isn't about the rights of the 2nd amendment, this is about safety on our streets. I respect those who use their guns responsibly but i like to see you defend against gun enforcement when all it does is reduce murder and violence.
The old saying "an armed society is a polite society" is still true. I want to see you try to rough up someone who is carrying a weapon ... he/she would shoot you dead.

Does that mean that I am in favor of every Tom, Dick and Harry carrying weapons ... NO. What it means is that I recognize that old westerners were correct ... Mr Colts weapons leveled the field ... the bully along with the criminal were placed on notice. "A Colt 45 makes every man a giant ... and made every man's voice equal". The coward, the hero and average Joe all rest on a common level when society in general is armed.
May 21st, 2006  
moving0target
 
 
Just to clarify; the Second Amendment isn't about protecting yourself from burglars. The Second Amendment is about protecting yourself from the government. How could I possibly protect myself from a tyrannical government armed with machine guns if I'm armed with a single shot hunting rifle or a shotgun or a .38 or a....
--
Subject: GUN CONTROL
May 21st, 2006  
jequirity
 
 
Being a european, i guess i'm a bit wary of having a bunch of civilians legally in possession of a hell of a lot of firearms. But then again i live in europe, not america.

Different circumstances have led to the differing stances on firearm control. I imagine that there will be some parts of america where it is safer to own a firearm or two and others where it is not neccessary at all. So i'd say that in certain places folk should be allowed to wield what they can. (excluding things that heavy weaponary, can't imagine the need of having a 40mm grenade launcher for example)

I still prefer europe tho cos its a wee bit more safe going by this thread. I'm glad theres no gun culture in scotland and i can't see ther being one. In america there is and theres no quick fix unfortunatley. Its always interesting to take note of a countries police force to assess that countries gun culture. For a bit of light hearted entertainment heres a link to a clip from a scottish comedy "Chewin the Fat" where a scottish bobby is liasing with the american police force. (Excuse the american accents, evryone in the show is scottish)

http://www.flurl.com/item/Scottish_Cop_In_USA_u_110434/
May 21st, 2006  
Rob Henderson
 
 
The truth is, gun control doesn't do a whole lot to reduce violence. Sure, it helps a little, but there was no dramatic decline in violence when states passed stricter gun control laws.
May 21st, 2006  
C/2nd Lt Robot
 
 
That's because criminals still had their guns.
May 21st, 2006  
WarMachine
 
 
Gun control does reduce the ability of people to kill each other easily. I was reading an article in times that said two new orleans gangsters walked into a gym class and shot a victim dead with ak47s and walked away in front of dozens of witnesses. That's something the restriction of the flow of dangerous weapons like assault rifles could have prevented. The NRA is crazy if it thinks their lobbying is protecting anyone, if anything they make sure these weapons are available to all who purchase them.

I am of the opinion that a person who wants to kill someone will with whatever he can get their hands on. Gun control is part of the violence and murder rate problem in many cities, but increasing developments in poor crime filled neighborhoods will destroy the problem at the roots. New York city used to be much more dangerous 10 years ago than it was today, genitrification of neighborhoods changed that and now it's one of the safest large cities in america.
May 21st, 2006  
moving0target
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jequirity
Being a european, i guess i'm a bit wary of having a bunch of civilians legally in possession of a hell of a lot of firearms. But then again i live in europe, not america.

Different circumstances have led to the differing stances on firearm control. I imagine that there will be some parts of america where it is safer to own a firearm or two and others where it is not neccessary at all. So i'd say that in certain places folk should be allowed to wield what they can. (excluding things that heavy weaponary, can't imagine the need of having a 40mm grenade launcher for example)

I still prefer europe tho cos its a wee bit more safe going by this thread. I'm glad theres no gun culture in scotland and i can't see ther being one. In america there is and theres no quick fix unfortunatley. Its always interesting to take note of a countries police force to assess that countries gun culture. For a bit of light hearted entertainment heres a link to a clip from a scottish comedy "Chewin the Fat" where a scottish bobby is liasing with the american police force. (Excuse the american accents, evryone in the show is scottish)

http://www.flurl.com/item/Scottish_Cop_In_USA_u_110434/
Scotland certainly hasn't wanted for violence in its culture though, has it. The colonies simply decided that they didn't wish to be owned by England for all time. Fortunately, firearms were far enough along by that point that they were quite the equalizer. It's a bit easier to train a man with a musket than with a pike, sword, or even crossbow.

Great link! By the way...what the heck is a chocolate snowball...or anything else he mentioned for that matter?
May 22nd, 2006  
Rob Henderson
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
Gun control does reduce the ability of people to kill each other easily. I was reading an article in times that said two new orleans gangsters walked into a gym class and shot a victim dead with ak47s and walked away in front of dozens of witnesses. That's something the restriction of the flow of dangerous weapons like assault rifles could have prevented. The NRA is crazy if it thinks their lobbying is protecting anyone, if anything they make sure these weapons are available to all who purchase them.

I am of the opinion that a person who wants to kill someone will with whatever he can get their hands on. Gun control is part of the violence and murder rate problem in many cities, but increasing developments in poor crime filled neighborhoods will destroy the problem at the roots. New York city used to be much more dangerous 10 years ago than it was today, genitrification of neighborhoods changed that and now it's one of the safest large cities in america.
I agree with the first part, somewhat. A man can be killed just as easily with a knife as with a gun, its just more dificult for the man doing the killing.To the article, just think, if someone in the class had firearms,perhaps a teacher or a SRO, then the shooting could have been prevented...Gun control would prevent some violence but killings would still occur. We can never totally prevent murder.
May 22nd, 2006  
Missileer
 
 
I like the feel of a beautifully designed firearm. Just to heft it, feel the perfect balance that will put a slug exactly where you want it, the cool steel and the stag, ivory, walnut, or combat grips that feel like you were built around the weapon and became one with it. I take all my guns out and handle them, clean them, and feel the security knowing I'm now safe from just about all threats. And, sometimes, I even go to the range so I can feel the "recoil."