Split from ISIS thread

Yes, that is quite impressive when Germany as a country is in an European context, pretty new. Bismarck played a vital role in the creation of Germany.

Without Bismarck, Germany would also exist .The Deutsche Bund existed already in 1815 .

Without Bismarck, Germany would also exist .The Deutsche Bund existed already in 1815 .

Bismarck or somebody else had worked hard on an unification of the German speaking states. It began much earlier than that, the nation building began after the Thirty Years War, not only for Germany, for entire Europe.

The major German speaking power in a post-Charlemagne Europe was the Austrian, the Habsburgs. The Napoleonic wars and later the Austrian-Prussian war reduced the Austrian Empire. Bavaria fought on the Austrian side in the war, but they were defeated by the Prussians. Prussia increased its power over central and northern Europe after the war with Denmark and France

While there was a strong desire by Germans for a German state very early in the 19th century the closest they got was Napoleon's Confederation of the Rhine, it took Bismarck to make Germany a reality so while it is realistic to say Germany would have come about without Bismarck it is also pointless as Bismarck made it happen.

Bismarck is for me probably one of the most influential and interesting characters of the last 200 years, although in ships I still preferred the Prinz Eugen.

:-D

I'll change the subject. If I begin with a famous quote "One small step....a giant leap for mankind"Some of you (BritinAfrica) remember the Lunar Mission. The next step is probably Mars with a delay when the price tag for a mission to Mars can be quite costly. Is it worth the money to send people to Mars? Would you go to Mars if they asked you if you want to go?

Do you agree with the Russians won the space race, they launched the first satellite and the first human in space was a Russian.

I'll change the subject. If I begin with a famous quote "One small step....a giant leap for mankind"Some of you (BritinAfrica) remember the Lunar Mission. The next step is probably Mars with a delay when the price tag for a mission to Mars can be quite costly. Is it worth the money to send people to Mars? Would you go to Mars if they asked you if you want to go?
If Stephen Hawking is correct then we have to leave the planet or die out.

https://www.space.com/38695-stephen-hawking-humanity-must-leave-earth.html

I still believe that the key to travel within our Galaxy and further is a moonbase to launch expeditions from as it would be safer and easier to build/assemble the craft there than in space and as the moons gravity is a lot less than earth you would need less fuel so craft could be smaller or devote more room to carry resources.

Do you agree with the Russians won the space race, they launched the first satellite and the first human in space was a Russian.

It comes down to what you believe the end goal of the space race was, for the Americans it was going to the moon primarily because they didn't win any other aspect of it so they just kept moving the goal posts until they won one and then declare the race over.

I recall a quote from one of Russian Generals running their space program where he said Russia didn't need to go to the moon because they received all the data from the American landing at almost the same time as the Americans.

There was also the amusing but untrue quote about the space pen and while untrue does sort of indicate the difference in the way both countries think issues through.

When NASA started sending astronauts into space, they quickly discovered that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity.
To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion developing a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C.

The Russians used a pencil.

Your taxes are due again — enjoy paying them.

I think the Russian won the space race when they were the first up there.

It's probably the next evolutionary step for the humanity to leave Earth. We need to find another planet to screw up

I don't think so, but it depends on how much the sun expands when it turns to a red giant. I have read articles about when the fusion in the sun ends and it expands. The articles are all assumptions and some of them argue the sun will swallow the Earth and if it does that. Mars will not be in habitable zone (it is now at the outer boundary of the habitable zone)

Other solutions might be going to Jupiter's two moons Europa and Io. There is a problem to handle if the humanity moves to them as well. We may can protect ourselves from the lethal radiation in the universe, but I think think we will respond well to the immense gravitational pulls from Jupiter.

I don't think so, but it depends on how much the sun expands when it turns to a red giant. I have read articles about when the fusion in the sun ends and it expands. The articles are all assumptions and some of them argue the sun will swallow the Earth and if it does that. Mars will not be in habitable zone (it is now at the outer boundary of the habitable zone)

Other solutions might be going to Jupiter's two moons Europa and Io. There is a problem to handle if the humanity moves to them as well. We may can protect ourselves from the lethal radiation in the universe, but I think think we will respond well to the immense gravitational pulls from Jupiter.

The problem isn't whether the sun will swallow the earth as earth will be uninhabitable long before we get swallowed in about 5 billion years.
In about 1 billion years it will have expanded enough to boil the oceans but even before then solar flares will potentially be swallowing us and well before then temperature increases will make life a lot more challenging.

Hawking in my opinion was right if we are moving off this planet by the end of this century mankind is doomed.

One option might be to leave the solar system. They are finding a lot of exoplanets orbiting within the goldilock zone of their stars. But to achieve that the mankind need to develop spacecrafts that can reach ludicrous speed.

The search for exoplanets is really interesting

One option might be to leave the solar system. They are finding a lot of exoplanets orbiting within the goldilock zone of their stars. But to achieve that the mankind need to develop spacecrafts that can reach ludicrous speed.

The search for exoplanets is really interesting

The short answer is yes we will have to leave the solar system but I still think our best bet is a leapfrog process to get us out rather than hope to do it from earth.

The short answer is yes we will have to leave the solar system but I still think our best bet is a leapfrog process to get us out rather than hope to do it from earth.

The use of space stations can be better than using "dead" planets. We have the international space station now. In a few million years the humanity might have even better launching pads orbiting the sun that can be used for such. But it depends on if the humanity still exist at that time. It might be another species of the genome Homo
around when it's time to leave this planet

I have just read something interesting. The Homo Sapiens might be older than we thought, They have found a fossil of Homo Sapiens that is about 300 000 years old. It was assumed we were "only" 200 000 years old. In deep time, 300 000 years old is not that old. Still very amused and annoyed that some religious people think this planet is only 6 000 years old.

The use of space stations can be better than using "dead" planets. We have the international space station now. In a few million years the humanity might have even better launching pads orbiting the sun that can be used for such. But it depends on if the humanity still exist at that time. It might be another species of the genome Homo
around when it's time to leave this planet

I have just read something interesting. The Homo Sapiens might be older than we thought, They have found a fossil of Homo Sapiens that is about 300 000 years old. It was assumed we were "only" 200 000 years old. In deep time, 300 000 years old is not that old. Still very amused and annoyed that some religious people think this planet is only 6 000 years old.

I would be surprised if this planet will be habitable in 300,000 years so I suspect we are the end of the evolutionary line.
As for the idiosyncrasies of religion, there is nothing more amusing than discussing paleontology with the fanatics.

I would be surprised if this planet will be habitable in 300,000 years so I suspect we are the end of the evolutionary line.
As for the idiosyncrasies of religion, there is nothing more amusing than discussing paleontology with the fanatics.

We will probably cause our extinction even if there are other potential events that can wipe us out. The first that comes to my mind is Yellowstone volcano.

It's even more fun to discuss genetics with religious people.

We will probably cause our extinction even if there are other potential events that can wipe us out. The first that comes to my mind is Yellowstone volcano.

It's even more fun to discuss genetics with religious people.

Yeah we have the Taupo volcano here that last erupted in the 1800s, if it was to go off it would wipe out the central North Island.
Fortunately it isn't showing too many signs of life.

Yeah we have the Taupo volcano here that last erupted in the 1800s, if it was to go off it would wipe out the central North Island.
Fortunately it isn't showing too many signs of life.

You live in a geological active part of the world. Indonesia has its fair share of big volcanoes that can wreak havoc on the South Pacific and some of them can even cause global devastation. The Tambora eruption in 1815 caused crop failure in both the US and in Europe. It supposed to be largest recorded eruption. The Krakatoa eruption was pretty big too and it also contributed to the scientific field volcanology. A Dutch geologist witnessed the eruption. Krakatoa blow up en entire island between Sumatra and Java.

The Santorini/Thera eruption was probably bigger than Tambora, it devastated
the Minoan civilization. There are other super volcanoes around the world. Toba is also situated in Indonesia, the last eruption occurred 48 000 years ago and almost caused the extinction of the humanity according to genetics and paleontology. Vesuvius is a famous strato volcano outside Naples and it's a part of a super volcano, the coast line of the bay of Naples is a part of the caldera. If that one goes, the entire Europe goes.

Iceland has a few volcanoes that can cause major devastation. Laki erupted in 1783 and caused crop failure and famine in Iceland and Europe, it probably contributed to the French revolution.

Another natural disaster that can put humanity to the brink of extinction is something similar or even worse than the Spanish Flu. But I doubt a pandemic can cause our extinction but it can cause a major reduction of the population

Back