"Speak English" - Page 2

View Poll Results :Should the sign be taken down?
Yes 3 13.04%
No 20 86.96%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

--
"Speak English"

March 23rd, 2008  
Team Infidel

"Speak English"
keep it up... iam still having trouble speaking this language and can't take on another one.
March 23rd, 2008  
5.56X45mm

As an immigrant myself I believe 100% that the sign should stay. I learned English when I came to the USA. Also it's a private business. The owner should be allowed to have said sign. It's a private enterprise and I think that the government should not step in this issue.

I understand that learning English is not an easy task. In fact, learning a new tongue is hard period. But it can be done. I speak two and I want to learn more.

Learn the local lingo, it's a sign of respect.
March 23rd, 2008  
mmarsh

I don't understand why this is such a big issue...

If you go to France (or any country), obviously people prefer that you speak French, if however a person doesn't speak French people will speak English or Spanish or Whatever... Obviously its better for everybody that people speak the national language but frankly nobody else gives a damn if you cannot.

I travel a lot in the world and I can tell you that this fanaticism about ONLY speaking English exists only in America. The government in Quebec tried imposing a rule that French be only spoken in Quebec and most Quebecois scoffed at it.

Obviously its better people speak English in America, but we dont need to act like there is a burr up our rear end because someone doesn't (or in most cases cannot).
This strikes me of xenophobia than anything else...
--
"Speak English"
March 23rd, 2008  
major liability

I do NOT want to even have to THINK about learning a new language. I've tried years of Spanish and German already and my brain is simply incompatible with the concept.

If someone speaks to me in another language, I say EN INGLES!
March 23rd, 2008  
Supostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
I travel a lot in the world and I can tell you that this fanaticism about ONLY speaking English exists only in America.
Well, USA can afford it since English is international language...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
I understand that learning English is not an easy task.
In fact English is not one of the most difficult languages to learn
March 23rd, 2008  
A Can of Man

I'm with Monty.
All orders will be taken in English.
People have the right to speak another language if they want to but to say business will be conducted only in English is the right of the company.
Imagine I wanted to sit down with my friend from the US for a beer and every shop had "Speak Korean Only" written. We'd have to buy beer at 7-11 and drink and talk on some kind of friggin' sidewalk.
March 23rd, 2008  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I'm with Monty.
All orders will be taken in English.
People have the right to speak another language if they want to but to say business will be conducted only in English is the right of the company.
Imagine I wanted to sit down with my friend from the US for a beer and every shop had "Speak Korean Only" written. We'd have to buy beer at 7-11 and drink and talk on some kind of friggin' sidewalk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
And what if the opposite were true?

What if I went to Seoul and there was a sign that said "ORDERS IN KOREAN ONLY". I don't speak Korean, not a single word. What am I supposed to do starve? Or not have come at all? Somehow I dont think the Korean Tourism board would be pleased with a "Korean-only" rule, seems like an excellent method of discouraging people from visiting.

Let me tell you this, there are thousands of Americans (both businessmen and tourists) that visit Paris every year and only a few actually speak French and yet they are NOT denied service.
March 23rd, 2008  
major liability

So what, you think it should be mandatory to be bilingual? Because no matter how much a business wants to serve you, they can't unless they speak your language...

Though I suppose you could just point at what you want on the menu - assuming you can read English.
March 23rd, 2008  
mmarsh

Mandatory? No. Tolerant of those who cannot speak English? Yes.

BTW. One reason I got hired at one job was BECAUSE I spoke a foreign language, not because i didn't.
March 24th, 2008  
A Can of Man

I think I'm with mmarsh on this one.