South Africa's Tank Situation

--

January 6th, 2013  
HindStrike

Topic: South Africa's Tank Situation

As we all know, South Africa's Olifants need replacement. These updated Centurions are beyond long in the tooth and I was thinking about how the Netherlands is retiring the last of their Leopard 2A6's and they denied the sale to Indonesia. This would be perfect as they are relatively new, cheap and can be upgraded further to the A7 standard. They can handle any threat in Africa and the Dutch and Germans wouldn't mind giving them to South Africa.
January 6th, 2013  
LeEnfield

The Centurion may be long in the tooth but it is still a very good tank and easy to maintain. Now do South Africa need a fairly modern tank and if so why, also I think you will find that many countries are still using the Centurion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank
January 6th, 2013  
BritinAfrica

Last I heard the Oilifants were laid up due to lack of spares, and the wheeled stuff like the G5 and G6 was sold off. Unless I was given duff gen again.
--
January 6th, 2013  
Warwick

I heard similar. Lack of money being the big one.
Dont the leapards need big upgrades so that they are more user friendly in the African conditions??? Especially environmental controls.
We had similar issues with the tanks we purchase. Costs a fortune in crew comfort upgrades.
January 6th, 2013  
Tankboy

Retro fitted beer fridge!.
January 7th, 2013  
KevinTheCynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy
Retro fitted beer fridge!.
Not just the beer fridge mate, them tanks gotta be modified with a rear deck to mount the deck chairs and barbie. Environment's hell out here without the beer fridge and barbie and a bloke has to have somewhere to sit when drinking!

January 7th, 2013  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheCynic
Not just the beer fridge mate, them tanks gotta be modified with a rear deck to mount the deck chairs and barbie. Environment's hell out here without the beer fridge and barbie and a bloke has to have somewhere to sit when drinking!

You forgot the umbrella to keep the sun off Kev.
January 7th, 2013  
Warwick

Tactical umbrellas these days!!!
No more Cinzano brollies stolen from the local pub!!!
January 7th, 2013  
SGT G

You know speaking of the BBQ, they incoorperated a BBQ for us in the M109A5 Paladin. Now we can cook our crappy MRE's while we are rolling, heat water to shave, all that good stuff. Your food only comes out slightly exaust flavored. Delicious...
January 8th, 2013  
brinktk

I think you meant the M109A6.