So Many US Military Bases... Why?

This kind of attitude explains a lot of things.
Like how it's always the US bailing countries out of a deep mess? The US earned the right to be arrogant. If folks don't like it, don't ask for help. Then we'll see what happens. Nothing hard about that.

Or you could just come down from your soapbox, stop being an arrogant w@nker and join the rest of us mere mortals here at ground level....
No, because you puny mortals are too boring. You mortals have no idea how to have fun. Something about nailing some ditwad with a bolt of lightening just to see him jump, I'm sorry but some things in life you just can't pass up!

Like how it's always the US bailing countries out of a deep mess? The US earned the right to be arrogant. If folks don't like it, don't ask for help. Then we'll see what happens. Nothing hard about that.
I don't know how politically savvy you are in the field of world politics, but I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) have noticed that the US is very selective about the people that they "bail out". And having said that,..... they have every right to be.

BUT before you go patting yourselves on the back too hard, just take a look at who the US bails out, from a world wide perspective and the reason why they do it, and perhaps you will see that all this alleged Goodwill is not necessarily without an underlying reason.

The US, is by default one of only three possible countries to whom the poorer countries can look. During recent times (cold war) the US was very pleased to see smaller countries put in a position where they had to make a decision as to who they would go to for help, and as a result of this they were only too pleased to demonstrate their largesse.

It's not a one way street. Russia is less of a threat in the world economy, but China is now on the scene. You certainly have no right to be arrogant, because there will come a day when it will bite you right where it hurts.

Last edited:
Pretty much with what Spike said.

Actually the larger and more powerful you are, the LESS arrogant you should be. You should behave with caution because even the slightest action can have very big consequences.
A sort of an example would be my former Judo instructor. He was a real bear of a guy who could probably rip most people's limbs off. But the guy was really well mannered. Why? Not because he fears anyone he meets, but he probably knows that if he acts belligerently, no one would really want to approach him.

Pretty much with what Spike said.

Actually the larger and more powerful you are, the LESS arrogant you should be. You should behave with caution because even the slightest action can have very big consequences.
A sort of an example would be my former Judo instructor. He was a real bear of a guy who could probably rip most people's limbs off. But the guy was really well mannered. Why? Not because he fears anyone he meets, but he probably knows that if he acts belligerently, no one would really want to approach him.

I agree to what you said and Spike as well.

There is no doubt that in order for you to stay strong you must stay aware of what things are doing, but the military budget soars unchecked!

56%.... Of the budget the US gets is said to go into the military!!! We are losing more or less than 1 trillion a year! That is pitiful... Surely something we can cut loose and the bases seem to be a great spot to start! Neutralize all bases that do not bring in anything of major benefit.

Why keep a store when its bringing in $15,000 and maintenance will cost $30,000 (just an example of course)

I don't see US paying the debt back to be honest lol....

I don't know how politically savvy you are in the field of world politics, but I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) have noticed that the US is very selective about the people that they "bail out". And having said that,..... they have every right to be.

BUT before you go patting yourselves on the back too hard, just take a look at who the US bails out, from a world wide perspective and the reason why they do it, and perhaps you will see that all this alleged Goodwill is not necessarily without an underlying reason.

The US, is by default one of only three possible countries to whom the poorer countries can look. During recent times (cold war) the US was very pleased to see smaller countries put in a position where they had to make a decision as to who they would go to for help, and as a result of this they were only too pleased to demonstrate their largesse.

It's not a one way street. Russia is less of a threat in the world economy, but China is now on the scene. You certainly have no right to be arrogant, because there will come a day when it will bite you right where it hurts.

I agree with you 100%. What countries aid others without some sort of ulterior motive or somehow serving their self interests?

I work at a military base and I can tell you where that money goes. It gets thrown away. "Damn boss, I got a dent on my new silverado 3500 work truck." "throw it away, we will buy you a new one." I have some guys who work for me who have never served. They can't believe the **** we throw away.

Back in the old days (at least up until the 80's), RoK officers would get their Jeeps from American bases. Americans would throw out Jeeps, some which were practically unused because they were of "an old model."
Cut the budget and you'll see efficiency start making a relevance.

Back in the old days (at least up until the 80's), RoK officers would get their Jeeps from American bases. Americans would throw out Jeeps, some which were practically unused because they were of "an old model."
Cut the budget and you'll see efficiency start making a relevance.

Actually I'm aware of that situation, it happened in the ROK, Thailand and the Philippines, Honduras also and probably other places. It wasn't throwing them away. It was a circumvention of military aid packages, it also applied to other equipment that it was cheaper to dispose of "in country" than to ship back to the states. Said equipment was requested in aid packages but was out of budget or some such......like Choppers, Artillery Pieces etc......see where I'm going. In these cases it wasn't waste, it was blurring of the lines.

As far as Jeeps...the US had the last M151 roll out off the line in 85 if they were gettin new model Jeeps I don't know what to say.

I actually know the guy who got a brand new Jeep for his CO from the USAF back in '79. Said the one that was practically new was a great find. Most had pretty obvious signs of use. Others were in rather good condition.
At least as far as he knew, those were being thrown away. He didn't get them through official channels either. Some NCO friend in the USAF.
But yeah I see what you mean as well.

I agree with you 100%. What countries aid others without some sort of ulterior motive or somehow serving their self interests?
It is neither surprising,... nor necessarily bad, but many people overlook this fact and as a result their views on the world is badly misshapen.

The US is a great benefactor to the free world, but we must never lose sight of the fact that much of this is done because it is in their own best interests rather than any form of Global philanthropy.

I feel that in all fairness, they can not be judged poorly because of it, but by the same token they have absolutely no reason to be arrogant towards others as a result of what they do.

In the case of the US it might be to protect the Americans resting in foreign cemeteries.

It is neither surprising,... nor necessarily bad, but many people overlook this fact and as a result their views on the world is badly misshapen.

The US is a great benefactor to the free world, but we must never lose sight of the fact that much of this is done because it is in their own best interests rather than any form of Global philanthropy.

I feel that in all fairness, they can not be judged poorly because of it, but by the same token they have absolutely no reason to be arrogant towards others as a result of what they do.

Don't confuse arrogance with leadership.
The count is 104,366 dead brave Americans buried in Eurpean Cemeteries

Americans had to watch as an American elected leader apologizes to Europe and the Middle East that our country is “arrogant”!

HOW MANY FRENCH, DUTCH, ITALIANS, BELGIANS, AND BRITS ARE BURIED ON OUR SOIL, HAVING DEFENDED THE US AGAINST OUR ENEMIES? WE DON'T ASK FOR PRAISE ... BUT WE HAVE ABSOULUTELY NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE!!

Have you ever stopped to think that many of these people might be grateful for the courage and sacrifice that the Americans buried in their home country but not so enthusiastic about Americans here and now, today who have very little to do with the brave men that secured their freedom?
Don't get a people from another era mixed with another.
Once you stop doing that, you're moving in the right direction.
And this sort of "arrogant" leadership shows how little you know about true group leadership. In true group leadership, everyone knows you are in charge. But you don't go around belittling every other group that is obviously less powerful or else they will not cooperate with you.
Like Margaret Thatcher said... Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.
There is no need for Americans to say they are powerful.
You bring them into your office. Let them sit on the big chair. Tell them what an important role they are playing in this cooperative effort. Ask them, "What do you need?" It empowers them and they WILL follow you.
If you tell them they suck, if you find yourself in a bind they will hang back and have a cigar and enjoy the fireworks.
When there is joint US-foreign cooperation, there is very little doubt that America is in fact in charge. For most non American folks in that arrangement, that doesn't feel so good. Imagine America had to play second fiddle to Canada all the time and they liked to rub that in your face. How would you cooperate with them? Not very well I suspect.

Have you ever stopped to think that many of these people might be grateful for the courage and sacrifice that the Americans buried in their home country but not so enthusiastic about Americans here and now, today who have very little to do with the brave men that secured their freedom?
Don't get a people from another era mixed with another.
Once you stop doing that, you're moving in the right direction.
And this sort of "arrogant" leadership shows how little you know about true group leadership. In true group leadership, everyone knows you are in charge. But you don't go around belittling every other group that is obviously less powerful or else they will not cooperate with you.
Like Margaret Thatcher said... Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.
There is no need for Americans to say they are powerful.
You bring them into your office. Let them sit on the big chair. Tell them what an important role they are playing in this cooperative effort. Ask them, "What do you need?" It empowers them and they WILL follow you.
If you tell them they suck, if you find yourself in a bind they will hang back and have a cigar and enjoy the fireworks.
When there is joint US-foreign cooperation, there is very little doubt that America is in fact in charge. For most non American folks in that arrangement, that doesn't feel so good. Imagine America had to play second fiddle to Canada all the time and they liked to rub that in your face. How would you cooperate with them? Not very well I suspect.

Sounds like some bizarre rant. Especially from someone who lives in a country that has US troops guarding its Northern Border. What is it? A "What has the US done for me lately" kind of statement.

A good portion of the US debt could be attributed to having to spend enormous sums over the past 60 years facing off against communist agression through out the world.
Don't even get a Thank you, just statements about the US being Arrogant.
So, whatever.

So if it is your opinion the US is arrogant, who cares?

In the case of the US it might be to protect the Americans resting in foreign cemeteries.
HOW MANY FRENCH, DUTCH, ITALIANS, BELGIANS, AND BRITS ARE BURIED ON OUR SOIL, HAVING DEFENDED THE US AGAINST OUR ENEMIES? WE DON'T ASK FOR PRAISE ... BUT WE HAVE ABSOULUTELY NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE!!
Yep. There are a few, dating from the days of the revolutionary war up to the Civil War, don't ask me names or locations because I can't answer that. IIRC the Brits helped the Union and the French helped the Confederates.

My reply wasn`t to the question about American bases overseas. It was a general statement about countries aiding other countries. I`m well aware that I have forefathers buried in other countries, and I very much appreciate the sacrifice they made.

Yep. There are a few, dating from the days of the revolutionary war up to the Civil War, don't ask me names or locations because I can't answer that. IIRC the Brits helped the Union and the French helped the Confederates.
Pretty funny, the idea of foreign countries helping Americans kill each other as fighting to help defend the US. You are correct about the French during the revolution helping.
Not the right topic for it here, but you might want to go to a civil war site or topic and see how many people think the British supported the Union in the Civil War. (i.e. The Trent Affair).

My point was about Americans being perceived as arrogant. I do not believe we are.
Most citizens have a certain amount of pride in their country and that should not be mistaken for arrogance.

My point was about Americans being perceived as arrogant. I do not believe we are.
Most citizens have a certain amount of pride in their country and that should not be mistaken for arrogance.

FINALLY you are getting what I'm saying.
But it is the sheer size and power of the US that makes people take it that way.
So try to tread lightly.
Unless you don't mind being percieved as the bad guy the world over (not there right now but it's not beyond possibility).

FINALLY you are getting what I'm saying.
But it is the sheer size and power of the US that makes people take it that way.
So try to tread lightly.
Unless you don't mind being percieved as the bad guy the world over (not there right now but it's not beyond possibility).
What are you talking about?

"But it is the sheer size and power of the US that makes people take it that way." quote Can of Spam
I guess you want the US to down size? How others "take it" is beyond our control.

"So try to tread lightly." quote Can of Spam
One of our past Presidents all ready admonished us to "walk softly, but carry a big stick":smile:

"Unless you don't mind being percieved as the bad guy the world over (not there right now but it's not beyond possibility)." quote Can of Spam

Pretty used to it. The US constantly gets blamed for almost every crisis in the world.
We in the US keep blaming everything on us also.:-D

Of course in some countries if you complain to much about your government you could disappear. :peace:

I guess calling some one else arrogant is not country bashing as long as you are referring to the United States.

I personally will take your suggestions under advisement.

Back