SIR - Page 4

--

December 18th, 2004  
Lamm

What about fellow enlised men with the same rank as you? If you're a PFC and you need to call another PFC's name, do you say PFC Jones, or Jones, or PFC, or what? Also, as far as other enlisted men, you have to say their rank, right? You don't have to say their last name, just rank?
And, as for officers, a Lt would call his CO sir or ma'am? And he would call fellow Lts? And again, does a Lt have to say the CO's last name, or his fellow Lts last name?
And how do officers address enlisted men? Rank, last name, both?
Thanks,
Lamm
December 18th, 2004  
03USMC

It depends. If your both PFC's and carrying on a conversation your not gonna use your rank. If the Sgt. ask you who your A gunner is you might respond PFC Brown.

You address all officers as Sir. Officers in the presence of enlisted generally address each other by rank (if their the same rank) and last name such as "Lt'. Brown." They address their superiors as Sir.

Officers addressing enlisted depends. They might address you by your last name only in a field setting as in "Brown get the SAW over here"
In Garrison they will probably address you as "PFC Brown"
December 18th, 2004  
Lamm

Got it thanks.
Lamm
--
December 19th, 2004  
rotc boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by implicature
along those same lines - do you salute enemy officers?
I'm going to say no
December 19th, 2004  
beardo

lol
December 20th, 2004  
implicature

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotc boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by implicature
along those same lines - do you salute enemy officers?
I'm going to say no
Yeah well i got a little feedback on that thanks to all...
December 20th, 2004  
rotc boy

your welcome 8)
December 24th, 2004  
Charge 7

Actually you do salute enemy officers providing they are not known to be guilty of war crimes (and thus a prisoner denied the salute). It isn't "officially" required but is normally done. It's up to the victor when it comes right down to it though. Eisenhower wouldn't even meet with Field Marshal Keittel who signed the surender documents for Germany but sent his deputy instead. The deputy did not salute Keittel. However individual officers often did salute the enemy commanders who surrendered to them. You can see this in "Band of Brothers" (a true story not fictionalized) that Major Winters salutes the German general who surrendered to him.

As to saluting officers from foreign countries, I couldn't speak for any country other than the US but you damn well better even if they aren't wearing headgear. You salute them even if they're in their civvies if you know them to _be_ an officer just as you do an American officer. You do not salute of course if you are in _your_ civvies.
December 24th, 2004  
rotc boy

well, i guess i was wrong
December 27th, 2004  
r031Button

I'll never forget the day on course when I made the mistake of calling one of my instructors Master Corporal instead of Master Bombadier. I received a very....driven....lesson on history of the Royal Canadian Artillery and on how the Queen had granted them the ranks of Bombadier and Master Bombadier in perpetua; and on how it was a good thing i was infantry as it would be a very sad day indeed if I were to ever join the artillery....all of which was accompandied by a suitably driven training session which was designed to sharpen my mind while sharpening my body