Should Russia return the occupied 4 islands of Japan? - Page 3

--

September 25th, 2004  
Delta210

And of course Chinese sources, i.e. the Communist Government, are unimpeachable and totally reliable.
September 25th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta210
And of course Chinese sources, i.e. the Communist Government, are unimpeachable and totally reliable.
You sound like you mistrust Chinese sources a lot, then I show you my second point in my previous post about the Fall of Iron Lady of Britain after talks with Deng Xiaoping, then think about my first point about UK didn't want to return HK at the beginning

http://img83.exs.cx/img83/9113/Margefall.gif
September 25th, 2004  
Delta210

Having served during the Cold War, and having studied history and current events, you are right in your assumption that I do not trust anything associated with Communism.
--
September 25th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Yeah I can understand you.

But people should go when time goes, time has changed, so should people.

For example the communist party in China has changed a lot compared to 20 years ago, old generation leaders passed, new young and much more open-minded leaders show up, give them a bit credit will do us both good.
September 25th, 2004  
Delta210

Like everything else, they will be judged by their actions and by history. I am willing to have an open mind, but thus far I have seen little of encouragement. Maybe the new generation of leaders will decide to leave withdrawl from Tibet and return it to a sovereign nation once more. Call it a good will gesture of their new world outlook.
September 25th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I believe the official Chinese policy toward Tibet is that because the Qing Dynasty occupied, they own it.
September 25th, 2004  
Delta210

Saddam said something similar about Kuwait, and Hitler used the same justification for the his territorial demands prior to the start of WWII
September 25th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta210
Saddam said something similar about Kuwait, and Hitler used the same justification for the his territorial demands prior to the start of WWII
The Chinese flatly deny Tibet ever having been a separate country. Apparently their neutrality during World War II was just a lack of provincial motivation.

Yes it should be a separate country, but China's never going to admit that.
September 25th, 2004  
Delta210

Ah yes. Well there you go. Everything nice and tidy, all loose ends tied up neatly. So the Tibeans are not really oppressed, they just misunderstand their Chinese brethren's motivation in bringing them back into the fold. Thugs are thugs are thugs regardless of nationality it seems.
September 25th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, the initial push was to beat all Tibetan culture out of them, but you get the idea. Old Tibetan culture is HIGHLY religious, and hardline Communists had no tollerance for things like religion. As a whole, China is a lot less repressive against religion, but Tibet is another matter entirely.

Anyways, that's got nothing to do with the topic at hand.