Should Russia return the occupied 4 islands of Japan? - Page 2

--

September 24th, 2004  
Darcia

Back in WW2 towards the end Russia decided to take Japan, and that was as far as they got. Both Nations claim them right now, The Main thing is that Russia feels the same way about them as chechnya, letting them go would be a sign of weakness to the world so probably they will have to be taken by force.
September 25th, 2004  
Snauhi

why would Russia let them go?
September 25th, 2004  
Uncle_Sam

'Cause the War is over.
--
September 25th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

In my opinion, this on just one of two territories that Russia really ought to have no business occupying. The former East Prussia is a more blatant example of Russia hanging onto something that they should have no business even claiming as their own.
September 25th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

I think following:

Although Chinese have big problem with japanese at this moment and maybe in coming 50 years, but I think it is well possible:

Suppose China in 2050 is super super strong, 10 times stronger than Russia, and China goes to occupy whole East Russia, then japan will get the change again to get back these islands.
September 25th, 2004  
Courtenay

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
In my opinion, this on just one of two territories that Russia really ought to have no business occupying. The former East Prussia is a more blatant example of Russia hanging onto something that they should have no business even claiming as their own.
I am sure there are people who feel the same about some of the areas that the US occupied....and some that we still hold as possessions of the US.

As far as I know, these areas were treatied, and therefore belong to whom they belong. If Japan wants them, she'll have to bargain for them, although I would guess it would be a fruitless effort.
September 25th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The US and UK have a pretty good track record of returning things to their owner, etc. Russia doesn't.
September 25th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
The US and UK have a pretty good track record of returning things to their owner, etc. Russia doesn't.
Not really, UK has lost her power, she is no more the Empire as she was before. UK didn't want to return HongKong to China, but Deng Xiaoping told their lady Thacther that if you don't leave, then I will send PLA to kick you out, so Thachther got terrified and fell from the traps of the Great Hall building when she left Deng

It is a matter how big your fist is, not you are kind or evil.
September 25th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I've never heard of China threatening the UK over Hong Kong. We'll have to assume its a made up story unless you can provide a source. I can certainly imagine there is some basis for it. I'd just like to see an unbiased version of it.
September 25th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
I've never heard of China threatening the UK over Hong Kong. We'll have to assume its a made up story unless you can provide a source. I can certainly imagine there is some basis for it. I'd just like to see an unbiased version of it.
But it is truth. It is not made up story. I may not have heard something does not mean that thing does not exist. I don't have English source here but only Chinese sources (a lot of officials sources) but I don't think I will dig them up via Google since I don't need to prove anything