Should Canada Go To Iraq?

In my mind, ANY country sending troops to Iraq should be less of a political motivation now and more of an ethical one. Whatever the reasons were, right or wrong, the right thing must be done now. People are dying over there, Iraqi and otherwise. I think it's everyone's ethical responsibilty to at least TRY to help them. Unfortunately, most people couldn't care less about the Iraqi people. They are fixed on pointing fingers at America for the invasion. People are dying and nobody wants to even try to help because they are too tied up in political squabbling. Shouldn't EVERY country try and help the Coallition forces prevent a civil war? The Iraqis are also human beings. It astonishes me how many countries/people would rather sit back and watch Iraq destroy itself on TV so they can blame the American's, Britains, etc., rather than try to help stabilize Iraq and save lives in the long run. But I guess most people (Including America) have gotten so selfish that if its not happening in or near their country, it's no concern of theirs no matter how many people die.

ARMY101 said:
I don't see what the big commotion is in Canada's elite going to do their job and rescue hostages...

Once again, politics are bungling things up.

I can see how this will happen. The politicians will send in Canada's elite to rescue the hostages but will prohibit them from accepting any intel from the American forces already in country because they don't want to appear to be working with the coalition. As a result these troops will suffer un-necessary casualties and the Canadian politicians will blame America first for starting the war which led to this kidnapping and then for the deaths of their elite. Am I wrong?

Knightraptor said:
In my mind, ANY country sending troops to Iraq should be less of a political motivation now and more of an ethical one. Whatever the reasons were, right or wrong, the right thing must be done now. People are dying over there, Iraqi and otherwise. I think it's everyone's ethical responsibilty to at least TRY to help them. Unfortunately, most people couldn't care less about the Iraqi people. They are fixed on pointing fingers at America for the invasion. People are dying and nobody wants to even try to help because they are too tied up in political squabbling. Shouldn't EVERY country try and help the Coallition forces prevent a civil war? The Iraqis are also human beings. It astonishes me how many countries/people would rather sit back and watch Iraq destroy itself on TV so they can blame the American's, Britains, etc., rather than try to help stabilize Iraq and save lives in the long run. But I guess most people (Including America) have gotten so selfish that if its not happening in or near their country, it's no concern of theirs no matter how many people die.

Dear Member,

The above answer and rational reminds me of the old Yiddish saying about the only son who killed both his parents and then demanded mercy of the judge because he was an orphan!

To wit, also understand that the US in giving that demand to other nations while both of Bush's two daughters are not in uniform and only 14 of the members of the US Congress have a direct relative in uniform would be like that son.

Finally, the US created the disaster in Iraq by not sending enough troops. Almost ever retired general has stated such including yesterday the former central command commander General Zinni. And Rumsfeld says that the commander son the ground state there are enough troops in Iraq. And Rumsfeld has also stated there is not need for more than 10 divisions in the US Army. So how could the US possibly ask other nations to help in Iraq???

Jack E. Hammond

jackehammond said:
Dear Member,

The above answer and rational reminds me of the old Yiddish saying about the only son who killed both his parents and then demanded mercy of the judge because he was an orphan!

To wit, also understand that the US in giving that demand to other nations while both of Bush's two daughters are not in uniform and only 14 of the members of the US Congress have a direct relative in uniform would be like that son.

Finally, the US created the disaster in Iraq by not sending enough troops. Almost ever retired general has stated such including yesterday the former central command commander General Zinni. And Rumsfeld says that the commander son the ground state there are enough troops in Iraq. And Rumsfeld has also stated there is not need for more than 10 divisions in the US Army. So how could the US possibly ask other nations to help in Iraq???

Jack E. Hammond

I totally agree that the US created the disaster by not sending enough troops. But I'm not saying the US should ask other nations for help. I'm saying that it should be every nations moral obligation to help the Iraqis. Yes, in the process you would HAVE to help the US but if you punish the US by not trying to help the Iraqis, you are hurting the Iraqis more. They didn't ask to be in this, but they are. And thats a fact. So one can either watch them die because you wish to punish the nation who started it...or help. After it has stabilized you can point fingers and criticize and call on reforms and investigations all you want. But punishing the Iraqi citizens for something the US did is not my idea of the right thing to do.

Knightraptor said:
I totally agree that the US created the disaster by not sending enough troops. But I'm not saying the US should ask other nations for help. I'm saying that it should be every nations moral obligation to help the Iraqis. Yes, in the process you would HAVE to help the US but if you punish the US by not trying to help the Iraqis, you are hurting the Iraqis more. They didn't ask to be in this, but they are. And thats a fact. So one can either watch them die because you wish to punish the nation who started it...or help. After it has stabilized you can point fingers and criticize and call on reforms and investigations all you want. But punishing the Iraqi citizens for something the US did is not my idea of the right thing to do.

Dear Members,

Sorry that is a cop out. If nations did that their would be no investigation or no responsibility for those that did it held (ie like General MacArthur was never held responsible for his disaster in the Philippines and Korea) to the fire. They would in fact brag all those nations came because the believed in the mission. In fact if you read the statements before the invasion Cheney and Rumsfeld were bragging that other nations would have no choice but to come and help after Saddam was defeated.

And the nations of the world can tell the US. You have the population and reserves to flood Iraq with troops. You can free all seperations, tell all officers no getting out at five years and recall all those who seperated in the last four years. The US has no right to demand others do the right thing when the US President and Secretary of Defense did the wrong thing.

Finally, If I were another nation I would put it simply. If the President Bush, VP Cheney and Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld will admit they were arrogant and refused to listen to any advise (which they did) and resign my nation will consider sending troops. And I would state that they only had to resign. My nations troops will have to put it all on the lines if they go -- ie their lives. Unlike them who will just go into a rich retirement to enjoy their grandchildren (ie except Bush who has none and btw has two daughters in excellent health and of military age).

Jack E. Hammond

the last thing iraq needs right now is more "outsiders". Because of the poor way the old corrupt regime was removed with nothing ready to replace it there isn't yet a stable in-house regime to run the country. Both the US & UK want to prop up a western friendly govt rather than one that the iraqi people want. A civil war nearly always occurs before true democracies can develop ( both US & UK had one)

Pete031 said:
Jack- If we want to really win the war in Afghanistan then the only real option would be to invade Pakistan. The typical Afghan, especially down south hates Pakistan and blames them for everything, and really Pakistan did put the Taliba in power, aswell they are putting up Jihad schools so that young Afghans can learn how to detonate themselves properly. But they have an open border. If troops were massed along the border, and Afghanistan was cordoned off, then what we are doing now would work. We would be able to completely destroy the weapons caches and kill off the rest of the Taliban, but unless that border is closed and noone gets though, we still have a leak.
Hearts and Minds? Well you have the best army in the world for that kind of stuff. We work along side the locals, and the average person likes the Canadians. Now whether they are lieing, I have no idea.
My 2 cents for today
Oh yeah... And the others here who feel like slamming Canada, because we didn't do what you said... Well deal with it... We have supported you with everything else, but at the end of the day we are an indepedant country and we will do what we feel is right. Get over it,is the US going to piss and moan for the rest of eternity about it? Get over it and soldier on. We already have many commitments. And before Iraq, ratio wise we had more troops and more commitments overseas than the US, doing missions that had little or nothing to do with national interest, but with humanity. It pisses me off that all the armchair generals on the internet decide to slam Canada because of this stuff. Think about Kosova, Yugo, Sierra Leone, Haiti, East Timor, Sinai, Haiti, Afghanistan and all the other holes that we have been busy working in. Thats all I have to say about that

well said pete.well said.

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but here goes!!!

The reason Canada refused to get involved in the Iraq war is really quite simple. There was never any reason to war with Iraq. There were never any WMD and most Canadians knew that when the sabre rattling was going on. I still can't figure out why it really happened. Was it just an old fashioned smash and grab for oil? Did George W. want revenge for an attempt on his father's life? Was it some sort of grand strategic check on China's interest in the area?

I have said this before. Whatever it was or is, it is a bad precident. And if we are going to try and act as a legitimate world body on such matters, we must judge this war harshly.

I believe it is an illegal war. I also believe certain members of the current Bush administration may be guilty of war-crimes. But that all depends on intent.

The West is not wanted there. Be they Shiite or Sunni or whatever, we are not wanted there. An immediate withdrawl would be best for all involved.

The real war is in Afganistan. Afganistan and Pakistan should be our covert and military objectives.

Papash you got a good point and I also think going in probably wasn't the best idea at all but to say that an immediate pullout would be best for all is actually very far from the truth.

Back