should Bush just put the Iraqis in some camp? - Page 2

View Poll Results :should Bush put all the Iraqis on some type of camp?
Yes 0 0%
Maybe 0 0%
No 9 100.00%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

--

April 15th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc
OK Gentleman. It seems we are all united in the view that putting all Iraqis into camps is a crass idea. I would be interested to hear, then, your views on the US holding so many men at Guantanamo Bay, without charge for over two years? Reasonable act to curb terrorism, or a disgraceful breach of human rights? Has it achieved its aims, indeed what is its aims? Is the world a safer place for it? What price has to be paid for the West to feel safe? As we say over here, answers on a postcard please.

Ladies feel free to answer too!
The Gitmo detainees and imprisoning an entire population are worlds apart, the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay were specifically targetted due to their involvement in, to put it lightly, things they shouldn't be doing. I do not see where the connection lies between the two, Sir.
April 15th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc
OK Gentleman. It seems we are all united in the view that putting all Iraqis into camps is a crass idea. I would be interested to hear, then, your views on the US holding so many men at Guantanamo Bay, without charge for over two years? Reasonable act to curb terrorism, or a disgraceful breach of human rights? Has it achieved its aims, indeed what is its aims? Is the world a safer place for it? What price has to be paid for the West to feel safe? As we say over here, answers on a postcard please.

Yes its bad, but there isnt much anyone can do as USA dosn't break any agreements.
April 15th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc

The Gitmo detainees and imprisoning an entire population are worlds apart, the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay were specifically targetted due to their involvement in, to put it lightly, things they shouldn't be doing. I do not see where the connection lies between the two, Sir.
Although all prisoners have not been told why they ware "inprisoned", they do not get a trail. I think thats very wrong. On the other hand, POW rules do not include terrorists (yet). As they are not counted as Prisoners Of War.
--
April 15th, 2004  
Redneck

EXTRA! EXTRA!

These prisoners are NOT your ordinary run of the mill criminals, they are our ENEMIES.
April 15th, 2004  
gjc

Interesting, thank you all for your views. I hope more will contribute. RnderSafe I would be interested to hear what you have to say on the topic. My points really are these:

1. Yes, there may be international terrorists who have been brought back from Afganistan. However, many it seems were simply Taliban fighters. Whether you agree with the Taliban government or not (and may I point out that I most certainly do not), they have a very good case for arguing that they were simply defending their country against an attack from other nations, in which case there should be POWs.

2. Any 'POWs' should have been returned long ago, even if it is to an Afgani jail for crimes committed before we went in. We must be seen to be uphold ingthe legitimacy of the Afgani government or we will be back at square one before we know it. If it was wrong for the Vietnamese to keep US pilots as captives long after the war ended then so is it wrong to keep these men.

3. What are we the democratic west fighting for at the moment? Surely it is the right to live our lives the way that we have chosen to without fear of attack, that is as democratic, multi-cultural nation states who live by their own constitutions and sets of laws. Yet at a time where we are on the verge of what could be the major conflict of our generation between western democracies and fundementalist Islamic states we are now ignoring what we hold so dear, and working outside what we deem to be acceptable treatment of our own citizens. If the treatment these men are getting is outside what we deem to be acceptable then how can we convince other nations that our way of living is legitiamte?

4. My solution: the Int boys have had more than long enough to gain any int they need. Any men who were fighting for the Talaban should either be held as POWs or sent back to Afganistan. Any terrorists should be tried in civilian courts using existing anti-terrorist legislation and imprisoned in normal jails - we have learned in Northern Ireland that politising terrorists only gives them added legitimacy - terrorism is a crime, therefore they are criminals.

In summary, the detentions at Guantanamo Bay make us look scared and makes our system of Government look weak. There is no ideal solution, but there must be something better than the situation we find ourselves in now.

I am now putting on my flak jacket and kevlar lid preparing for the inevitable accusations of being soft. But beforeyou reply, please just think of the big picture, what we are fighting for, and if any means justify the end?
April 16th, 2004  
Achilles

All terrorists should die, they are war criminals rapists, murderers, thieves, plotters, not to mention, overall bad guys
April 19th, 2004  
hc^patonki

Have you thought that terrorists see that you are the bad guys.
But anyway putting people to any kind of camps for a cultural reason isnt very good idea.
Ever heard about Auschwitz
April 19th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc^patonki
Have you thought that terrorists see that you are the bad guys.
Not that it really matters what they think, seeing as they hate anyone who is different than they are (even slightly, like the Shi'as and the Sunnis). Hell, they are pretty much the definitive racists/ethnocentrists.
April 19th, 2004  
hc^patonki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
Not that it really matters what they think, seeing as they hate anyone who is different than they are
Like US?
April 19th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: o-oh

You all keep it civil(Both US supporters and others), or ill lock this.