Shootings

You're completely missing the point.

Mass. has some of the strictest firearms laws and amazingly it comes bottom for firearms deaths. Is that just a coincidence?

Property crime in Mass. has also been falling even with all those locked away firearms. Is that also another coincidence?
Probably, most places here that have strong gun control have higher crime rates. Cheaper to blame guns & pass anti-gun laws than other options on criminal control. I've read the UK authorities were concerned about the number of Brits being cut up with broken beer mugs & ordered unbreakable beer mugs, now they being beaten to death with the unbreakable mugs.

Probably, most places here that have strong gun control have higher crime rates. Cheaper to blame guns & pass anti-gun laws than other options on criminal control. I've read the UK authorities were concerned about the number of Brits being cut up with broken beer mugs & ordered unbreakable beer mugs, now they being beaten to death with the unbreakable mugs.

Care to enlighten us as to how many have been killed by unbreakable beer mugs?

I am prepared to bet that most bars worldwide use plastic or unbreakable glassware as it makes economic sense although I assume from your rather dismissive tone real Americans are still drinking from the barrels of their loaded Colt Peacemakers as surely only alcoholics would drink from a cannon?

Care to enlighten us as to how many have been killed by unbreakable beer mugs?

I am prepared to bet that most bars worldwide use plastic or unbreakable glassware as it makes economic sense although I assume from your rather dismissive tone real Americans are still drinking from the barrels of their loaded Colt Peacemakers as surely only alcoholics would drink from a cannon?
Some years ago there was an article in Reason Magazine (Libertarian oriented) saying there really wasn't much gun crime in the UK before or after all the gun control laws passed. They went on to say that the Govt. has now moved on to 'knife control" & mentioned the mug thing. No numbers posted.

Here is the interesting thing with that story, by doing a quick google you can find numerous cases of people being assaulted with beer mugs and almost every one of them was in the USA.
I found one case in the UK (Manchester) where a woman hit a guy with a glass one.

My guess is that this is simply one of those urban myths that the pro-gun groups tend to latch on too.

However, it is somewhat relevant to the argument as it does indicate one fact about human nature, people tend to use whatever item they have available to them when committing these acts, for New Zealanders who don't carry guns it means you get a beating and a doctors visit, for Oktoberfest goers it means a stein to the skull and a hospital visit and for Americans it seems to mean a bullet and a funeral.

I understand that the only solution to the argument that you havent blocked out is more guns and most of the rest of the world find that retarded which is why I simply no longer care about your weekly mass shootings.

I've read the UK authorities were concerned about the number of Brits being cut up with broken beer mugs & ordered unbreakable beer mugs, now they being beaten to death with the unbreakable mugs.

That's news to me. I'm not sure how you could be beaten to death with plastic disposable mugs.

All bars and pubs I visit still serve beers and drinks in glass. Yes people do get "glassed" (glass beer mug smashed into their face or over their head) but it's not some sort of out of control massacre.

dRcGr3x.jpg

It also seems the shooter wasn't some kid on Ritalin either George. So you can't use that as the excuse. I eagerly await your analysis.

Probably some bulls**t about being allowed to defend themselves.

Seems logical and I am sure the NRA will back it, after all they stand to make money from it and I am sure turning a profit is a constitutional thing as well.

One interesting article...

Forget the weekly shootings they appear to be trying for one a day, it would appear you are safer in a war zone than the USA.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/oct/02/america-mass-shootings-gun-violence

So I will back Brinktk on this one, I am happy for you to take your chances on "that side of the pond" because we really dont want this on our side of all the other ponds.

Last edited:
One interesting article...

Forget the weekly shootings they appear to be trying for one a day, it would appear you are safer in a war zone than the USA.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/oct/02/america-mass-shootings-gun-violence

So I will back Brinktk on this one, I am happy for you to take your chances on "that side of the pond" because we really dont want this on our side of all the other ponds.

But....but....but....they need to defend themselves from a tyrannical government, burglars and whatever else is going to take away their liberties and freedoms.

Thankfully we're too well educated over this side of the pond to ever have this crap on our doorstep.

But....but....but....they need to defend themselves from a tyrannical government, burglars and whatever else is going to take away their liberties and freedoms.

Thankfully we're too well educated over this side of the pond to ever have this crap on our doorstep.

Are you saying we aren't free in Europe. We have the freedom of not being killed while we are at schools and shopping malls, how dare we to questioning the 2nd Amendment of the Bills of Rights? We arm everybody and see how safe we are. What I can't wrap my mind around is how you Americans fail to see the correlation between more firearms you get more firearms related crimes you will achieve . A child gets it, but you don't. Oh yes, it's in your Bills of Rights. The Americans have never touched the Amendments before. shall we take a closer look? What about the 18th and they corrected it with the 21st, so the 2nd isn't untouchable. Although, we might get a government that turns evil toward us, it might begin to what we are doing on the Internet, who are talking to, and what forums are on. God forbid, they cannot do that. It's violation of the 1st A, especially if we say something that contradict the current policies of the US administration. Shall we ask Edward Snowden about what your government does? Nonetheless, we can do whatever but we can not change what's evidently wrong, so we just keep going and hoping for the best.

Last edited:
Another US shooting being reported: https://news.sky.com/story/several-dead-after-newsroom-shooting-in-the-us-11420269

So George, I guess journalists will now need to arm themselves? In fact, why doesn't everyone just arm themselves. Oh hang on.....
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...shooter-had-sued-paper-held-grudge/744287002/ The guy was pissed at the paper & was out for revenge. Being liberals they'll be calling for more restrictions that the obvious need to be able to shoot back. Being limited to sitting on your finger isn't a good option

Can't wait for the first mass shooting in a prison, it will be amusing to hear the justification for arming prisoners.
Lots of shanks confiscated everyday in our prisons.

Seems logical and I am sure the NRA will back it, after all they stand to make money from it and I am sure turning a profit is a constitutional thing as well.
The NRA is about gun safety, marksmanship & defending the people's Rights, The anti-gun types were chipping away at it through out the 60s & most of the early 70s with the NRs constantly giving ground. Fortunately new guys took over & started pushing back.

Are you saying we aren't free in Europe. We have the freedom of not being killed while we are at schools and shopping malls, how dare we to questioning the 2nd Amendment of the Bills of Rights? We arm everybody and see how safe we are. What I can't wrap my mind around is how you Americans fail to see the correlation between more firearms you get more firearms related crimes you will achieve . A child gets it, but you don't. Oh yes, it's in your Bills of Rights. The Americans have never touched the Amendments before. shall we take a closer look? What about the 18th and they corrected it with the 21st, so the 2nd isn't untouchable. Although, we might get a government that turns evil toward us, it might begin to what we are doing on the Internet, who are talking to, and what forums are on. God forbid, they cannot do that. It's violation of the 1st A, especially if we say something that contradict the current policies of the US administration. Shall we ask Edward Snowden about what your government does? Nonetheless, we can do whatever but we can not change what's evidently wrong, so we just keep going and hoping for the best.
I suspect some of your women would liked to have had a gun while being raped by the Moslems you guys invited in.

The NRA is about gun safety, marksmanship & defending the people's Rights, The anti-gun types were chipping away at it through out the 60s & most of the early 70s with the NRs constantly giving ground. Fortunately new guys took over & started pushing back.

At least you haven't lost your sense of humour, gun safety that's a good one.

The NRA is about making money from convincing gullible and neurotic fools into thinking they need a firearm for protection.

But if you are so paranoid that you need to be afraid of everyone including your own elected representatives how many freedoms and liberties do really have?
Still at least they have the freedom to be afraid of every one they meet, after all they could be a gun totting lunatic, best to shoot first.
Which may explain the statistics.

Last edited:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...shooter-had-sued-paper-held-grudge/744287002/ The guy was pissed at the paper & was out for revenge. Being liberals they'll be calling for more restrictions that the obvious need to be able to shoot back. Being limited to sitting on your finger isn't a good option

So basically you're saying that journalists need to arm themselves in their workplace. Is that the sort of country you're happy to live in?

I get pissed and annoyed with things but I never ever think that I need to go to a workplace and shoot dead innocent people.

I checked the amount of reported rapes and sexual crimes the US. They are about the same rate as they are here. Isn't that odd? You have all these firearms and still women getting raped and sexually assaulted.

I find the explanations for the gun violence and the solutions to it rather amusing. You are trying to put out a fire with gasoline. It goes from cars can be used as weapons, to beer mugs. You are on a slippery slop. You have changed the Amendments 27 times so your Bills of Rights aren't really written in stones.

I am not sure about anyone else but I am struggling to find a coherant counter argument that isn't "we need more guns" which is about as well thought out as "reducing restrictions on speed and increasing the number of cars on the road will reduce the number of road deaths" so I propose a change of direction rather than just have George respond to every post with "more guns is the way to stop shootings"

The USA is awash with firearms both legal and illegal if you were to change the rules how do do to ensure you aren't just disarming the law abiding populous?

Most of our nation's simply made pistols which were easily concealed harder to get (read as requiring a special license) and then put restrictions on the transport of rifles (had to be unloaded and in a case in public).

The USA is awash with firearms both legal and illegal if you were to change the rules how do do to ensure you aren't just disarming the law abiding populous?

Most of our nation's simply made pistols which were easily concealed harder to get (read as requiring a special license) and then put restrictions on the transport of rifles (had to be unloaded and in a case in public).

I'm not calling for a complete disarmament of firearms from the law abiding populous.

How about a UK type system? Every citizen has to apply for a licence. Each applicant has a criminal/police check and an assessment with a doctor to make sure there are no mental issues? All weapons must be securely locked up when not in use and must be concealed when carried in public. Anyone that doesn't follow this loses their firearms. Anyone caught with a firearm and no licence goes to jail. Anyone that mishands or misuses their firearms loses their licence and goes to jail. There a annual checks to ensure the applicant is still safe to own their firearms.

Other countries manage to control firearms properly. Why can't the US?

Back