The Serbian Massacre Video

The Dutch unit should have fought?

• Total voters

jackehammond

Folks,

I guess we have all by now seen the video of that Serbian-Bosnian unit killing the six Bosnian-Muslim young men. You know who I feel the most pity for besides those young men and their families that might recongnize them?

The Dutch Army. It has to be rough on them.

Finally, this has been debated over under, and around, etc. But did the Dutch commander make the right decision when the UN refused to authorize air strikes against the advancing Serbian armored forces. Or should they have fought?

Jack E. Hammond

NOTE> No matter the decision. I would not wanted to be the officer who had to make it. And for those that are fast to judge, I can remember back in the Iranian Hostage Crisis when some nonUS military were making the same judgement -- ie including the Russian military.

you're correct, either way it would've been a gut wrenching decision.

if he did fight the hope would've been that other NATO/UN forces would come to their aid....would they have?

chewie_nz said:
you're correct, either way it would've been a gut wrenching decision.

if he did fight the hope would've been that other NATO/UN forces would come to their aid....would they have?

Dear Member,

And if they had fought when the Serbs overran them they would have most likely killed not only the Bosnian-Moslem men, but also the women and children.

Finally, Rwanda has sent some troops to western Sudan. Their president has publically stated that his troops with or without UN orders would fight and defend civilians from being killed. It didn't go over to well with the UN administrators.

Jack E. Hammond

NOTE> If they had fought, NATO would probably have put up a memorial like the LION memorial in Switzerland to the last French kings Swiss Guards.

I think the were there to do a job and they didn't...they proved useless. If they did fight it would have sent shockwaves through the enemy and they'd know that the UN means business, by doing jack squat and just standing there and watching, they might aswell have been the one doing the killing.*Note to Kofi Annan* - Everyone grow some balls and do what your supposed to do. :D

jackehammond said:
Folks,

I guess we have all by now seen the video of that Serbian-Bosnian unit killing the six Bosnian-Muslim young men. You know who I feel the most pity for besides those young men and their families that might recongnize them?

Finally, this has been debated over under, and around, etc. But did the Dutch commander make the right decision when the UN refused to authorize air strikes against the advancing Serbian armored forces. Or should they have fought?

Jack E. Hammond

NOTE> No matter the decision. I would not wanted to be the officer who had to make it. And for those that are fast to judge, I can remember back in the Iranian Hostage Crisis when some nonUS military were making the same judgement -- ie including the Russian military.

We're talking about Srebencia right? Without questionthe dutch should have held it. That they were peacekeepers is irrelevent, they're still there to protect citizens.

i was waiting for you to comment on this renegade.

maybe you should talk to some of the canadian members of this board, who (i believe...i could be wrong) were involved with piece keeping ops in these "slavic lands"

i know and have talked to people who have seen first hand what occured in that region... atrocities happened on both side...but by far and away the kiwis saw the christians as being the bad guys.

the issue isn't the video itself....it the fact it was in circulation! pfft! i know that whatever i'm going to say you'll ignore....so i just hope you're comfortable with you hate buddy

I do not need to talk to any members that were so called "peace keepers" I already know many people that were there. What kiwis think is irrelevant to any of this. Many videos are in circulatuion, but the liberal media only plays ones that discredit the serbs. They will never show that NATO pilots bombed civilian targets. Anything else to add?

so why do you thiink UN/NATO forces were in serbia in the first place?

do you think it had ANYTHING AT ALL do do with the fact that both sides were acting like it was the middle ages all over again?

the things that happen have NO JUSTIFICATION!

Renegade said:
I do not need to talk to any members that were so called "peace keepers" I already know many people that were there. What kiwis think is irrelevant to any of this. Many videos are in circulatuion, but the liberal media only plays ones that discredit the serbs. They will never show that NATO pilots bombed civilian targets. Anything else to add?

Regardless of what you may think it is a recognised fact that civilised people do not go around slaughtering each other irrespective of religious belief. The fact that you dont seem to understand this simple principle of civilised behaviour indicates that it will happen again which is unfortunate.

. They will never show that NATO pilots bombed civilian targets. Anything else to add?

NATO pilots bombed strategic targets that happened to be within cities which in turn lead to civilian casualties this is somewhat different to Serbian snipers shooting kids in a market place or paramilitaries lining up civilians and executing them.

See this I think is where the whole Yugoslav/Serbian thing fell over and that was a failure to understand that you can only get away with so many attrocities before someone developes enough guilt to stop you.

r031Button said:
jackehammond said:
Folks,

Jack E. Hammond

We're talking about Srebencia right? Without questionthe dutch should have held it. That they were peacekeepers is irrelevent, they're still there to protect citizens.

The problem is that they didn't have the capacity to hold it, if they had tried they would have met the same fate. As I recall (and I may be wrong here) the Dutch commander believed that the Serbs would behave differently knowing that there were witnesses to anything they might try hence he believed it safer for them back down to avoid reprisals on the civilian population given that they could hold the city.

yea, NATO was there to make sure that only nations friendly to NATO would emerge out of yugoslavia, instead of having a yugoslavia which was very anti-NATO and anti-Western, there are not Croatia and Bosnia, which are essentially NATO client states, as they depend on NATO for protection.

oh...i see,

very reasonable

:roll:

face it...the UN/NATO came in to stop everyone in the region from tearing each other apart like savages.

now you seem pretty keen on "enlightening" us, care to give us some history about the lead up to the god awful waking nightmare that was the balkans confict?

Renegade said:
yea, NATO was there to make sure that only nations friendly to NATO would emerge out of yugoslavia, instead of having a yugoslavia which was very anti-NATO and anti-Western, there are not Croatia and Bosnia, which are essentially NATO client states, as they depend on NATO for protection.

See I don't here to many stories about dead serb babies. Yet I also remember distinctly the images of UN and NATO forces in Kosovo defending Serbians from Albanians. In fact, I also know that there UNPA's set up to protect serbians as well as Bosnian Muslims and Croats.

The rest of the world will stay out of "slavic lands" when you can show us your capable of not slaughtering each other.

The conflict in the Balkans has been going on in some form or another for what? 800 years? It's hard to stop such deep hatred.

At the same time Renegade, you should have a little respect for the soldiers who risked their lives to save that little ****hole. Put politics aside and show some respect to those who fought and died to save people who were not even their own nationality. Do us a favour and wake up.

Time to take the pigskin bus to tuna town folks... war is hell and full of humans who must make decisions and just like any endeavour it is wrought with judgement calls. It is very easy to armchair quarterback this thing and try to second guess the Dutch commander. Anyone thinks they can do it better rest assured your chance will come and it will be your turn.
And yes respect needs to be paid to those who put their arses on the line, on the ground, in a foreign country they didn't ask to go protect from itself.
In the words of Ali G, "Respekt!"

Back