Security team repels Pirates

I can't wait to see that you tube video LMAO

In my day we just shot them.
I expect sea piracy to continue to rise, perhaps we'll see frigate sized vessels in the hands of wealthy pirates, or perhaps entire fleets like in the golden days of piracy in the hands of the largest and wealthiest groups. But I doubt that would be able to deal with a carrier group. But at first I'd expect gun boats.

That would be kind of awesome to watch a anti-piracy fleet take on a floatilla of pirate ships and pirate owned gunboats.

I doubt the pirates could deal with a old Fletcher class Destroyer
Of course not, older ships tended to have thicker armor than our ships do today. If those rocket launchers take forever to sink an unarmored cruise ship (granted, the cruise ship has sheer mass protecting it) they aren't going to do peanuts to a fletcher class.

Then lets ram the bastages with our Naval Vessels :) I'd love to see what they do in the undertow of a cruiser at full speed :)

I doubt the pirates could deal with a old Fletcher class Destroyer
Of course not, older ships tended to have thicker armor than our ships do today. If those rocket launchers take forever to sink an unarmored cruise ship (granted, the cruise ship has sheer mass protecting it) they aren't going to do peanuts to a fletcher class.
Depending on, of cause, that nobody sells them an OPV with missiles... I have my doubts there, money will do anything, and somethin along those lines should be available for some few millions by now, especially the mass built stuff from the east that is rusting away...

Wait for the day when the first pirate turns up with a "Osa" class missile boat (4× SSN2-C Styx) and a crew that knows to handle them, with those London brokers running their business now anything is possible, why not a Nanuchka? Have the crew on percentage, might be quite an idea for some trained Russian Naval missile guy that now lives off welfare... Bye, bye, Fletcher, won´t even know what ship got him.

OTOH, if they want to save money and still present a threat to your Fletcher class, just a nice MTB/PTB would be enough to do serious harm, those are for sale here in the Med for around 150.000 Euros each (with all the equipmemt, nicely refurbished, w/o Torpedos of cause, but if you just made 4 Million on ransom... should be solvable, methinks), 3-4 of those and you might start looking for a replacement for your Fletcher also, example: http://www.projectboats.com/torpedoboat.html

Rattler

Last edited:
For one those idiots over there don't have enough brain cells to operate a opv effectively, and besides they attack a U.S.navy ship its gonna be over for them, unless Obama forgives them

For one those idiots over there don't have enough brain cells to operate a opv effectively, and besides they attack a U.S.navy ship its gonna be over for them, unless Obama forgives them
As this is purely hypothetical, let me say brains can be hired, and cheap, in the East. Also, I was refering to a Fletcher class Destroyer as opponent, not anything modern.

BTW, grapevine has it a Spanish Trawle (since the Alcrana all with a security tqeam on board that were able to repel a few attacks with their .50 cals) was captured, I expect it ot make the news soon (capture has been confimed, nationality or circumstances not). Should ths turn out to be right, then it would suggest that either 6 security guys and cal .50 is not enough, or that the pirates found a way to take them out (people *do get inventive* when 5+ Million Euros are the prize).

Lets wait and see.

Rattler

hypothetical or not anybody with a brain cell SHOULD realize that if they help pirates, then they might as well become one and die like them.
if they captured a Spanish Trawler, then if I weer the Spanish govt, I'd hunt them down kill them and reclaim my property. But that's just me, that's probably why I'm not in charge of a military or anything like that, I DO NOT believe in taking prisoners! All that does is waste more of your resources in your country.
I' referring to a Fletcher Class Destroyer also, a Fletcher Class destroyer has more guns than a modern destroyer, draws less than a modern destroyer, which would enable it to get closer, may they don't have as much armor in certain places, but hey they survived WW2 didn't they, I'm sure they could survive a pirate attack. A modern destroyer has a computer.....................hmmm, basically i wouldn't water the electrical energy just to kill a a**h*** pirate.

Last edited:
Right a few minutes ago the Spanish Agricultural Ministery has commented that they are not aware of lacking a trawler... Must be another Nation tht now is one minus.

Rattler

If you wish to lose a battle and do it in grand style, the absolute best way to start is to under estimate your opponent.

Yep,.. they might dress in rags and live on fish head soup but none of that precludes them having brains.

I don't underestimate the pirates, I just know that any United States navy ship will fight to the death against them.

Well, Spanish Trawlers go with the times:

They will very soon be all equipped with their own UAVs which serve two purposes: For one they will do aerial supervision in a 50km radius for banks of Tuna, and during the night and equipped with IR cameras will be opconned to the onboard Security Teams and spot for pirate skiffs, following the theory that evasion is better than confrontation.

The UAV in question- going by the name of "FULMAR" - is produced in Spain, but has made a solid impact in the South Asian market since Malaysia bought a few for border control a year ago and now is considered the #1 UAV for civil use down there. Velocity between 60-150 kmh and an endurance of over 8 hours at a weight of 20kg make it the ideal tool for aid to the traditional lookout. It god wide publical acceptance when it was the only tool Civil Protection had to search for trapped firemen in a 2009 wood fire (for a comms failure 12 were killed, but thanks to the UAV one could be saved, the video refers to that use, as since then it has become standard for the wild fire brigades):

Fulmar in action

The company and the details and specs (machine translated page): http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gara.net%2Fpaperezkoa%2F20100110%2F176253%2Fes%2FLa-empresa-guipuzcoana-Aerovision-centra-su-actividad-aviones-sin-piloto-tecnologia-avanzada&sl=es&tl=en

Why has nobody in this thread ever thought of that? Just curious, as in hindsight it seems a valuable asset to avoid getting hijacked, and at a reasonable cost. Okay, the catapult takes some room that not every small boat has, but the recon, recon, recon effect sounds extremely helpful out there.

Rattler

Last edited:
And if they use that to detect pirates before they can get to the ship, and call for help, then they are smart for using that system :)

The trawlers are vulnerable when the nets are out: It is a lengthy procedure to tow them in and hampers maneuvrability a lot (w/o they will probably easily outrun the standard skiff).

To have an eye on the horizon will help to react in a more timely matter, and detecting suspicious traffic 25km out might just be enough to either restore maneuverabilibty, call help in or to prepare defense.

Rattler

I have a suggestion for you to tell your govt. Seriously too, this is not intended as a joke.
Rig the nets to be released with the push of a button on the bridge or the trawler, when teh pirates come along side thinking "awww the poor Spanish trawler has its fixed nets out" release the nets and watch a boat load of pirates sink to their death in a fish net :)

We need to follow in Ethopia's footsteps and help rebuild the government and improve it's infrastructure and bring all those warlords out of their hidey holes and into the light of justice in the form of a 155mm artillery shell.

Back