Saving Private Ryan - Page 3

--

November 23rd, 2004  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo
the film doesnt piss me off as much....more the fact that american kids are growing up thinking that they alone fought in WWII
I for one didn't grow up that way. But thats just me. What would have been the solution to this?
Personally I don't care that there was no British or any other Allied contingent shown in the movie.
But if you wanted to show that Brit's did take part you could have made the crew of the landing craft, Royal Navy. A number of the landing craft on the US beaches were manned by RN men

ps,
The make up of the invasion fleet was as follows, 79% of the warships were British or Canadian, 16% US and 4% other Allies.
Of all the other craft approx 75% were British and Canadian, and 25% US.
November 29th, 2004  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat
Personally I don't care that there was no British or any other Allied contingent shown in the movie.
But if you wanted to show that Brit's did take part you could have made the crew of the landing craft, Royal Navy. A number of the landing craft on the US beaches were manned by RN men

ps,
The make up of the invasion fleet was as follows, 79% of the warships were British or Canadian, 16% US and 4% other Allies.
Of all the other craft approx 75% were British and Canadian, and 25% US.
I know that the UK and Canada made up a vast majority of the invasion fleet. And my Uncle was taken ashore by an RN landing craft. I could go on about the UK'S , Canada's, Austraila's, New Zealand's commitment and bravery in the war both the ETO and the PTO (where Aussie and Britsh vessels served along side US vessels in the same task forces also.) I know this because I wanted too and not because I relied on Hollywierd to provide by historical education.

The sticking point with me is this. The idea Hollywood should be used as an educational tool it's never gonna happen.
November 29th, 2004  
blight45

Gosh if the Brits are this irate over SPR; they must have been apoplectic over U571. That one even embarrassed me, and I missed most of its gaffs.
--
November 29th, 2004  
dougal

We had the plesure of the Irish reserves being extras in it and most of time spent in Ireland, Co. Wexford beaches.
November 29th, 2004  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blight45
Gosh if the Brits are this irate over SPR; they must have been apoplectic over U571. That one even embarrassed me, and I missed most of its gaffs.
Maybe they recognized it for the hollywood fantasy and stinker that it was.
December 13th, 2004  
Irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Excalibur
Such 'inaccuracy' does a great diservice to the effort of all concerned.
Finally - I think that games such as Medal of Honour on PS2 and so on although fantastic in their realism and gameplay profit from those horrendous days. Children and the youth of today do not see it as 'learning' about the horrors of war but shoot em up entertainment.

Spielberg should hang his head in shame
So should children be allowed to play Cowboys and Indians?

Not only do they play, with the world of the internet, you find out what the game was about, go to related sites, learn more of what happened, even if they only think once of the sacrifice everyone gave during WW2, then the memory of everyone lost will be remembered, and hopefully help us not make the same mistakes again.
December 13th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The Brits have to make their own movies as well.
Anyone who seen A Bridge Too Far wouldn't question the UK's involvement in World War II, nor if they had seen the movie The Battle Of Britain.
December 26th, 2004  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal
We had the plesure of the Irish reserves being extras in it and most of time spent in Ireland, Co. Wexford beaches.

kinda worth it though to see bon jovi get annihilated by a hatch cover
December 26th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Haha yeah, I was NOT expecting that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal

kinda worth it though to see bon jovi get annihilated by a hatch cover
December 27th, 2004  
03USMC

Slightly off topic. But if you wish to get a good picture of the invasion that is well rounded and overly flattering of no one. I'd suggest "Decision at Normandy." by D'Estes.

Unless of course you prefer movies as a source of education.