Regarding the loss of Free Speech.

As it happens I can. A few years ago a chap on Londons Underground was attacked by a number of youths, he was carrying a sword stick, drew the sword and jabbed one of them.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/callahan/callahan96.html

In 1987 two men assaulted Eric Butler, a 56-year-old British Petroleum executive, in a London subway car, trying to strangle him and smashing his head against the door. No one came to his aid. He later testified, "My air supply was being cut off, my eyes became blurred, and I feared for my life." In desperation he unsheathed an ornamental sword blade in his walking stick and slashed at one of his attackers, stabbing the man [sic] in the stomach. The assailants were charged with wounding. Butler was tried and convicted of carrying an offensive weapon.
So the thugs were charged... It's not like they got off scot-free while the man went to prison for life. Truth be told, Butler WAS carrying an offensive weapon, wasn't he?
BritinAfrica said:

In 1994 an English homeowner, armed with a toy gun, managed to detain two burglars who had broken into his house while he called the police. When the officers arrived, they arrested the homeowner for using an imitation gun to threaten or intimidate. In a similar incident the following year, when an elderly woman fired a toy cap pistol to drive off a group of youths who were threatening her, she was arrested for putting someone in fear. Now the police are pressing Parliament to make imitation guns illegal.
I will admit, these two are rather over the top... If it stops the crime without hurting anyone, why make it illegal?
BritinAfrica said:
I was a member of the local Ju Jitsu Club, our sensi a 3rd Dan Balck belt was attacked by three youths, one of which had an iron bar which he smashed across the back of our sensi. Despite intense pain, our sensi floored all three thugs. The police arrived and arrested our sensi who was charged and convicted of assault.
I know one of the tactics of some police forces is to arrest everyone and then start asking questions... Did they simply let the kids go? I doubt it...

So the thugs were charged... It's not like they got off scot-free while the man went to prison for life. Truth be told, Butler WAS carrying an offensive weapon, wasn't he?

Nope, he was carrying a defensive weapon. Slight difference.

Besides which there are two other factors to consider.

(1)If Butler did not have the sword stick and defended himself, in all probability he would have been dead.

(2)If he had not been attacked, the sword would not have been drawn.

I will admit, these two are rather over the top... If it stops the crime without hurting anyone, why make it illegal?
I know one of the tactics of some police forces is to arrest everyone and then start asking questions... Did they simply let the kids go? I doubt it...

The three thugs who attacked our sensi were given a warning and released, DESPITE being armed with an iron bar.

Nope, he was carrying a defensive weapon. Slight difference.
Splitting hairs. If you attack first, it's defensive, if I attack first, it's offensive... It does the same damage either way.
BritinAfrica said:
Besides which there are two other factors to consider.

(1)If Butler did not have the sword stick and defended himself, in all probability he would have been dead.

(2)If he had not been attacked, the sword would not have been drawn.
Agreed.

BritinAfrica said:
The three thugs who attacked our sensi were given a warning and released, DESPITE being armed with an iron bar.
Quite a shame...

I agree... I'm just trying to see whether or not it's as close to anarchy as it sounds... Cause right now, it sounds like Britain is close to collapsing..

Or just waking up Rob. The worst atittude is that of sweeping things under the carpet. You may have noticed that I don't go along with that on my watch, win or lose.

Yes, but is this idea of leaving people completely defenseless, and ruling AGAINST self-defense a wake up? Or is it an early grave? Seems to me like more of the latter. When a man attacks another man, and the victim gets charged for defending himself, there is something wrong, no matter which way you slice it.

This is where extreme political correctness gets you when imposed with complete lack of common-sense.

This what my original post was about - the old Russian gay joke - the gay show business celebrity was making the point that such a joke will soon become illegal here, and as a gay man he felt that was completely ridiculous and a sign that our freedom of speech was being removed, bit by bit, along with other freedoms. Our application of the Human Rights Act from the EU is destroying the genuine human rights of our people..

tomtom22 said:
It's really that bad, Rob?

I don't think so.
That's what I'm trying to find out... I'm trying to find out whether or not Britain's justice system really has confused PC with real justice and common sense... And it sounds like they're well on their way.

This is where extreme political correctness gets you when imposed with complete lack of common-sense.

This what my original post was about - the old Russian gay joke - the gay show business celebrity was making the point that such a joke will soon become illegal here, and as a gay man he felt that was completely ridiculous and a sign that our freedom of speech was being removed, bit by bit, along with other freedoms. Our application of the Human Rights Act from the EU is destroying the genuine human rights of our people..
I get you. It's like the one crosses over the other. Where is the line for TOO MUCH political correctness?... We have to remember the common sense part of justice too. Makes sense...

Hmmm said:
I can't say what it is Rob, but it's not anarchy. If it was anarchy, no one would be arrested.
*chuckle* You do have a point there.

BritinAfrica said:
No its not splitting hairs, the chap carried the sword stick for defence, he had no intention to carry it as an offensive weapon.
Which further shows the declination of British law... Scary stuff, this extreme political correctness.

No worries, BritinAfrica, I'm only playing Devil's Advocate... I really do agree with you.

years ago in UK I was required to fill out a government form. I filled out the form, then came across "Nationality" I simply filled in "White English" and handed the form back. The extremely tanned little Hitler behind the counter said, "You cannot put White English, thats racist."

I asked, "How is that racist, I am white and I am English?"

She looked at me and said, "Change it to British."

"OK", said I, I then changed it to, "White, British English."

She became most annoyed and refused to accept the form.

To cut a long story short, she called her boss.

Her boss look at the form and also said, "This is racist."

"Bollocks" I replied, "Thats what I am and you HAVE to accept the form. AND if you change the form I will inform the police."

They accepted my form.

It was a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

OHHHHHHHHH! Don't say that Rob!
To me, "caucasian" is racist. You know why? Because my family has Russian lineage. We're from along the Finnish-Russian line. Granted it's long ago. But "caucasian" originates (my understanding) southern Yugoslavia. Look on a map and find how far it is from Tblisi to St. Petersburg. Then look how far it is from Tehran to Jeruselum. Or from Bahgdad to Jeruselum. Distance shouldn't be an issue. Culture is.

Go down sotuh to Georgia or South Carolina and call the locals in a small town yankees. Wait. Don't. You won't be a happy camper, provided they let you live.
Or worse, go to Texas and call them "Okies". Again Rob, it's culture.

Brother... I've lived in Georgia. I know better than to call someone a Yankee, but regardless of whether I'm from Georgia, or Maine, I'm STILL an American. It's all part of the same country.

Doing a little bit of research on the term, it seems to be that only in the United States is caucasian used to describe White Americans... So regardless of whether or not you were Russian or Yugoslavian, you are still caucasian when you come to America.

The connotations of words change over time... Gay used to mean happy, etc. Caucasian is widely used in the United States (even by the government) as a term describing anyone with white heritage. This mainly includes the Western European nations, but is not limited to those nations. On our standardized tests, we don't have a Russian or Finnish bubble...

Though all of this is off the topic.

I suppose my question to you, Del Boy, is what (if anything) can the citizens of Great Britain do about it?

A guy was driving me around Savannah in a pony and trap. He was from Boston. ' Of course, they really don't like me down here' he told me. :)

From what I understand, double jeopardy has been, or is in the process of being removed in UK.

The UK has had a constitution for hundreds of years (off hand I cannot remember the date of implimentaion), which allows for the right to “Self Defence,”
However, there is a case not too long ago where a young man pleaded the right to self defence when he fought off an attack, causing the attacker injury. The judge told him, “People must never taker the law into their own hands.”
I was under the impression the British constitution was not a document like the American one. Rather it is the body of common law which makes it a pliable document that only a court of law can decide upon and as such gives judges infinite power. A major reason for the Americans penning one.

Hey -Bulldog - a blast from the past indeed. Howdedoodee! I believe you are correct; in fact, as I understand it, we are not citizens at all - we are subjects of The Queen.:salute:

Back