Re arming of Japan,




 
--
 
January 25th, 2015  
Yossarian
 
 

Topic: Re arming of Japan,


So I have been seeing a trend that apparently though small is growing in Japanese public opinion. The topic of discussion is re organizing Japan's Defense forces to give them an offensive capability. Currently as we all know Japan's military is structured to defend the home Islands, a has no real way to project power far from said Islands.

But some in Japan seem to wish to have an offensive capability such as the U.S. China or even India in the general region. This would be a departure from the past 70 years since the last time Japan had any offensive forces.

The justification right now is that Japan's regional conflict over un populated islands both with China, and in the North with Russia, along with a more unpredictable North Korea , that Japan should have offensive forces as both a deterrent and a option to bolster Japan's position in security measures.


What do you folks here on the forum think of this idea and movement? Currently little has actually taken place, but re tooling and slight re arming would all that would be needed to do so along with possible Japanese legislation allowing such.

Would a militarily independent Japan bolster security in the region? And possible be a counter weight to Chinese forays here? Or spark an arms race catching maybe the U.S. in the middle?

-Yo.
January 25th, 2015  
hamidreza
 
increasing the defensive/offensive military power of any country who is against the US enemies, for example Russia, China, North Korea,Iran ... will be a good benefit for the US. Japan, South Korea, Ukraine, Israel... are examples.
January 25th, 2015  
Yossarian
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamidreza
increasing the defensive/offensive military power of any country who is against the US enemies, for example Russia, China, North Korea,Iran ... will be a good benefit for the US. Japan, South Korea, Ukraine, Israel... are examples.

I think one aspect proponents of this idea have for an independent defense force, would be in light of declining U.S. presence in the region for whatever reason. Being less reliant on the U.S. for Japan's total security needs could be a good move should the U.S. begin scaling back it's forces there.

It's fairly blurry trying to see the future based on this assumption however that's one agruement on the table, especially with new factors such as the increased Chinese military activity in the region recent years.

However for decades small groups of Japanese have expressed outright distaste for any U.S. troops at all in the country, for them a fully independent military is the only choice. In any case it does seem the war guilt is wearing off.
--
January 25th, 2015  
JOC
 
 
Well the old guard has to be pretty much dead by now. I think Japan has been an ally to the US for some time. It might help reduce the burden to our Pacific fleet and armed forced in general. Perhaps it's time they take care of themselves. After all they will have their hands full with China and N Korea.
January 25th, 2015  
moxen
 
 
I like the Red Alert 3 .
January 25th, 2015  
Yossarian
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
Well the old guard has to be pretty much dead by now. I think Japan has been an ally to the US for some time. It might help reduce the burden to our Pacific fleet and armed forced in general. Perhaps it's time they take care of themselves. After all they will have their hands full with China and N Korea.

I feel it would be in the long term beneficial, I don't have any concerns about Japan performing and about face on their ties with the U.S. any time soon. I feel after decades of training together and working together both politically and even in a civil sense with various disasters over the years Japan and the U.S. could work just as well together with Japan taking the lead for security in the region as the Americans currently do now. Also many military services contracts on weapons platforms and other equipment needs could be dealt out to the Japanese defense establishment from the U.S. as well.

Sometimes it pays to have a strong ally somewhere in the world. The U.S. could bring back some of it's forces currently there for refit, rest and or sent elsewhere where they are in need. That seems like a good outcome in this situation.
January 26th, 2015  
hamidreza
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
I think one aspect proponents of this idea have for an independent defense force, would be in light of declining U.S. presence in the region for whatever reason. Being less reliant on the U.S. for Japan's total security needs could be a good move should the U.S. begin scaling back it's forces there.

It's fairly blurry trying to see the future based on this assumption however that's one agruement on the table, especially with new factors such as the increased Chinese military activity in the region recent years.

However for decades small groups of Japanese have expressed outright distaste for any U.S. troops at all in the country, for them a fully independent military is the only choice. In any case it does seem the war guilt is wearing off.
As the third strongest economy in the word , having the advanced technology and enough wealth, and considering the threatens from Russia, China and North Korea, Japan should/could have a strong army. But any sudden change in Japan defensive policies will causes to a weapons competition in the east Asia and maybe in the world. the world order which is based on WWII results maybe is unfair but mostly don't want to do a risk to change it.
January 29th, 2015  
LeEnfield
 
 
Either they rearm or you will be fighting their wars
January 30th, 2015  
tetvet
 
Been to Japan , hard working people polite for the most part be a stretch to say they are friendly , the U.S is footing the bill for their military structure which is a nice Bennie for the Japs , my read is if the Japanese wanted to get mean they could in a very short time .
March 10th, 2015  
Yossarian
 
 
Article 9 Prohibiting the use of Japanese troops on Foreign soil is being scrutinized before the Japanese Congress by Prime Minister Abde this month I believe.

He is calling for revisions allowing Japanese military personal to serve around the world for now in counter terrorism and refugee aid missions.

But it's quick to point out his eyes are focused as well on dozens of small Islands that are a trending area of dispute between Japan and China as well as to the North With Russia.
 


Similar Topics
Why Japan Cannot Learn from Germany
Vietnam's President visits Japan
The U.S dropped the bombs on two cities of Japan because of a wrong translation.
Why Japan is spending a lot of money on armament?
Pearl Harbour one more lie?????