Question for USMC forum members

Known many a combat Marine over the years.

Always, to a man, they refer to the assigned corpsmen with the highest of regard.
Good friend of mine did three years as a hospital corpsman when he was grabbed by the Marines and sent to VN as a "Combat corpsman."
He really got dipped in some serious stuff.
He drinks a lot and will talk to me about it, sometimes.

I don't read Marine boards, but I am surprised to hear someone dissing the "Docs."

Absolutely none...

Correct me if I said something wrong... No need to insult people like that.

You are like a 14 year old girl... Sorry princess for hurting your feelings... Jeez...

And your like the special ed kid expounding on nuclear fusion theory.

These kids are real angels, 03USMC... Using them as an insult is just silly...

Now stop acting like a loser and try to act like a civilized person.

So enthrall me with stories of your first hand encounters with Medics and Corpsman there dingle berry. I eagerly await the riveting narratives and spine chilling yarns.

Oh sure 03USMC, behold, my life long experience with medics.

Now, let's start with the medics in a very popular video game called Battlefield 2...

I already said that I dont have medics in my line of work as the risk to get seriously paper cut are very low...
But we have the utmost respect for the first aid kit on the wall too. But some guys in the building dont know why we have fire extinguishers, fire fighting axes and first aid kits...

LeMask, you ask for it when you stick your two cents in where you really have no say. That would be like me trying to stick my two cents into a conversation about deployments with Marines who have deployed. I would be wrong in thinking my opinion carried weight.

As for the main topic. In the barracks for us, the doc can't step out of his or her room more than a few steps before they are showered with questions such as, "Hey doc, can you look at this?" Or "Hey doc I got this itch..." Alot of the marines ther value them becuase they are the only person we trust medically short of going to the ER.

There are the few that for some reason or another hold some grudge against the navy and steriotype them in with the homosexual community. And we have had a few cases where a corpsman has been walking home from the E-club alone and recieved a butt kicking, but those few and ungreatful marines are usually found and punnished accordingly.

Shelf, did I say something wrong?

Here is a quick summary of what I said:
- As humans, we are capable of doing the most stupid things. If treating the man who might save your life is completely retarded. It doesnt mean that It wont happen.
- Odds might change following military discipline and tradition.
- We know that soldiers look down on units who arent sent to the front line (non grunt units) (POGs)
- These POGs make the war machine work by moving ammo/fuel/food/supplies etc... Then, they save lives. And yet, they arent respected.

Did I say something wrong? Then correct me. But I get insulted by some uncivilized people...

Shelf, did I say something wrong?

Here is a quick summary of what I said:
- As humans, we are capable of doing the most stupid things. If treating the man who might save your life is completely retarded. It doesnt mean that It wont happen.
- Odds might change following military discipline and tradition.
- We know that soldiers look down on units who arent sent to the front line (non grunt units) (POGs)
- These POGs make the war machine work by moving ammo/fuel/food/supplies etc... Then, they save lives. And yet, they arent respected.

Did I say something wrong? Then correct me. But I get insulted by some uncivilized people...

Umm... what do you know about Military disciplin and tradition, becuase being a civilian and saying it and being military and doing it are two different things. And the whole "POG" thing, you dont really know the whole story until you been in it.

And just becuase your main points were on, doesnt make your comments that preceeded or followed those points were very respectful towards the individuals you carried your argument with. You want poeple to stop calling you out, or "acting childish". Dont make comments like calling a full grown human being a 14 year old girl. Or making out that you are a know it all with all the knowledge.

Sorry, I'm very respectful most of the time, I honestly try.

And I dont hesitate to ask for excuses if I said something hurtful and disrespecting...

But respect have to be deserved. When someone tells me to "STFU"... I defend myself. No point in being nice then.
And it's a forum, you cant tell people to "shut up"... It's crazy.

And I'm for free speech, as ridiculous as it may seem... You have every right to share it. We let ideas fight each others... Not individuals.

And these individual, following their behavior, I shouldnt be calling them 14 year old girls indeed... It's an insult to 14 year old girls...

And I didnt name any military culture... I just said that the soldier's behavior changes following the culture... It's how we workd as humans, it applies to every human being. Our behavior models change following the culture.

For a soldier, the models of behavior change following the military culture.

Sorry, I'm very respectful most of the time, I honestly try.

And I dont hesitate to ask for excuses if I said something hurtful and disrespecting...

But respect have to be deserved. When someone tells me to "STFU"... I defend myself. No point in being nice then.
And it's a forum, you cant tell people to "shut up"... It's crazy.

And I'm for free speech, as ridiculous as it may seem... You have every right to share it. We let ideas fight each others... Not individuals.

And these individual, following their behavior, I shouldnt be calling them 14 year old girls indeed... It's an insult to 14 year old girls...

And I didnt name any military culture... I just said that the soldier's behavior changes following the culture... It's how we workd as humans, it applies to every human being. Our behavior models change following the culture.

For a soldier, the models of behavior change following the military culture.

That Right there is what I am talking about. Your still calling them out. One who I checked out his profile, 03USMC, I think was the one, 17 years in the service, the places he had been and the things he has seen. And your saying he doesnt rate respect. Dude if that man told me to stfu, then Id stfu. Time, and rank aside, he is OLDER with MORE EXPERIANCE. With time and rank in it, I wouldnt even question.

17 years in service is a long time LeMask. I dont think you understand this. So you want to know what you did wrong? Its simple dude. You dont know when to not talk. if get a stfu, from someone who called you out, and you dont know what your talking about, you might want to just move topics elsewere and not keep your discussion up.

I agree, ideas should fight ideas not people. But that isnt the case and probably never will be.

But hey, your right, free speach and all that. Whatever, a man, who devoted his life to his country, only said that you dont know what your talking about. But according you you he doesnt rate respect...

Hey 03USMC, aparently I rate to tell you to F off.

Did you see how they talk to me?
Sorry, but even with 100 years of service, I wouldnt give them the right to speak to me like that. I have my pride man, I'm stupid enough to throw a punch on a professional killer for that. I wont take any **** from anyone. No one. Call me immature if you have to, I just cant live with that.

And I'm sorry, but you are wrong. If he had any wisdom to share, he would have found something smarter to say that "STFU".
If someone said something wrong, you correct him. Or your exchange argument if you dont agree...

I expressed an opinion, and as i didnt have data, I just gave some areas of reflexion on the subject...

Did you see how they talk to me?
Sorry, but even with 100 years of service, I wouldnt give them the right to speak to me like that. I have my pride man, I'm stupid enough to throw a punch on a professional killer for that. I wont take any **** from anyone. No one. Call me immature if you have to, I just cant live with that.

And I'm sorry, but you are wrong. If he had any wisdom to share, he would have found something smarter to say that "STFU".
If someone said something wrong, you correct him. Or your exchange argument if you dont agree...

I expressed an opinion, and as i didnt have data, I just gave some areas of reflexion on the subject...

I did see the way they spoke. They spoke to a civilian who has not seen a day of military life throwing a military opinion in the matter. They COULD have worded it different but why? To have you just argue back with them anyway. Why waist the words when they know the outcome?

I did see the way they spoke. They spoke to a civilian who has not seen a day of military life throwing a military opinion in the matter. They COULD have worded it different but why? To have you just argue back with them anyway. Why waist the words when they know the outcome?

Exactly!
And that’s why I wrote to you LeMask as I did.

See LeMask; the difference between military / civilian life is that we don’t have the time to stand and discuss the philosophy of war or what is right or wrong. We say it as we see it and the language can sometimes be very hard. Such is our culture. We listen and learn from those who know. This is not your daily life so listen and learn. So will we; if you have a topic you know all about.

Last edited:
Okay, let me explain a thing or two.

Civilian isnt a military rank... Being a civilian doesnt make you "inferior". And being in the military doesnt make you special.

It makes you a professional when it comes to warfare, defense matters... But "civilians" can teach you a lot. A civilian can even teach you how to use a rifle in fact... Like a doctor can give you tips to stay in good health.

You can act like idiots, and look down on civilian opinions... And act all superior. Or you can open your minds and hear what different people think.

And by the way, modern armies are hiring more and more civilians contractors to teach soldier the skills that will welcome them in the next century. Like cultural skills, language skills etc...

It might get you killed if you stop training like a soldier to turn into a man with a rifle, but being close minded will get you killed in the long run.

You dont live in a closed world anymore.

I dont know if you noticed, but there is million of civilians like me who know jack **** about your military culture who are watching you, and if you believe some, decide the course of battles (Vietnam anyone?)...

So are you sure that "STFU" is better than exchanging arguments with civilians?

You tell STFU to some dude you dont understand in a forum, and the next day, you have some dude in a bar somewhere saying "oh you know, soldiers are such jerks, they are so full of it..." and then you will have to deal with people protesting when you are trying to bury your dead comrades with friends and family.

Treating civilians like useless people is exactly the same thing as treating soldiers like baby killers... Stereotypes.

I can bring a sociologist who wasnt even close to be a soldier, and he will teach you about how Marines behave towards corpsmen in WWII and then, he will explain how this relation might change following the culture and the historical era...

and would you like it GHR if I told you to shut up, we are not talking about how to kill a person, so shut up and let the people who hadnt lost 50% of their earing capabilities shooting a gun.

Civilians arent milk cows just good to pay taxes so you can buy bigger sticks...

You will obviously not learn. To argue is excellent but it requires that you have knowledge of what you are talking about. All here have tried to explain to you how things work in the military. Will you also contradict a brain surgeon when he explains something about his work?

You will get far more respect if you accepted the fact that on this forum it´s us who are the ones who know. It has nothing to do with civilians are stupid; it has something to do with this is our job; like you know a lot about the job you have.

No, I dont, for me, surgeons are like gods. I say "Amen" to everything they say, even if it's ridiculous for me. I let other surgeons to correct them.

Well, actually, in the job I have we really dont like the people who have this "know it all" attitude... They anger us. We spend our time banging our heads on big walls, because our mission is to open the "systems" in place. People hate us, but the high ups love us. And when they get good results, they take all the credit and think we are way too over paid... But it's part of the job...

Okay, you are the experts. Fine by me. Am I allowed to ask questions? I'm sure I can.

Here are a few questions.

Who give more respect to medics? The units who are always in the front line and sustaining casualties (high casuelty rate? Or the units who are in the back with ridiculously low casualty rates?

There is in the world some countries who never had serious wars, maybe a few skirmiches, some peace keeping missions... But that's about it.
How this situation would affect their views on medics?

Some culture are very "square", the behavior of the "individuals" is set from the beginning, a friendly or unfriendly behavior arent very different and respect of social protocols are very respected. Especially in the military where ranks are well defined. How can you tell if the medics are more or less respected?

And dont you think that a soldier's respect for medics can evolve after a treated injury? Like a human being can find an emotional reaction and start to respect the people who saved him? Maybe even if it was an enemy?

And dont you think that a high level of professionalism can push a soldier to think that "he is just doing his job" and that there is no need to make a fuss about it... That anyone human being would have done the same in that uniform.

What seehund is telling you is that your done dude. Your out ammo, you seen your last sunrise, you dont have anymore valid points...

No one said you were infurior or looked down on you, at any point. We jsut told you to shut up becuase you have no idea what your talking about. And at this point your just throwing out things to say. Its like your shooting into the dark hoping to hit a target at this point dude. So just quit.

Back