Please watch this video

Status
Not open for further replies.
USMC03

I guess you didn't read post 12 where I specifically stated 'I missed the part where he was wounded, and no my sacrifice is not the same as his.'

It seems clear to me that I was NOT making that conclusion, but thank you for making the insinuation...despite the fact I had clearly stated otherwise.

But some people here have this notion that only military service counts for anything in this country. Go live in North Korea if people feel that way, because at least there its true. We are a country with a military, not a militarized country. The point I was making is that civil service is not limited to military service, that there are other ways to serve ones country. The soldier did it his way, I did it mine.

And those 'shuts-ins' you refer to are in fact people usually too old or sick to take care of themselves, and many are vets.

I stand by my statements.

Surprise Surprise. Fact is that you did make that comparison, from the response you got from it one would think that you realize that.

You did some community service volunteer work. Good for you here's a cookie. Oh and civil service is not the same as community service.

Your statement was over the top. As was your comparison.

That military service counts for nothing. Well believe it if you choose to. But there are those of us that really do appreciate the fact that there still people out there who are willing to put themselves in harms way so that we have certain rights.

Like being able to vote and choose our leaders, being able to voice our concerns about those leaders, and being secure in the knowledge that they stand ready to defend us when the not so nice people decide that wish to harm us.

So rant away about how the goverment is corrupt and whatever. However stay away from the comparisons of dishing chicken noodle out as it relates to military service.

Tracking?

Last edited:
USMC03

Sorry you can SPIN the facts as much as you'd like, but I was NOT making a comparison. In my response to Henderson I simply I was clarifying my position, Specifically because I didnt want people to think thats what I was saying. But I realize now that people will SPIN things the way they want to interpret them, not the way they are. It just sounds so much better if I came across as some ultra-left anti-military hippie liberal doesn't it? Either that, or your simply didn't read post#12 because its pretty self-explanatory.

As for my original statement, I absolutely stand by it, and I will not back away or apologize. I suspect nobody would have cared in the slightest if I had agreed with the soldier, but the fact I disagreed, fuggitaboutit, Moral Outrage! I don't mind if people disagree with me on any subject. But spare me the fake moral outrage of my "disrespect" and just say "I disagree with your intrepretation of the soldiers ideas and here is why A, B, and C". Its precisely what I did with the soldiers video, and its called discussion.

"That military service counts for nothing"...

I see we have gone from wild misinterpretation things I did say, to accusing me of things I didn't say at all. Again, this goes back to where I said that people that wanted it sound like I was bashing the military so they could climb their moral high horse. Unfortunately for us, I never said this, nor even suggested it.

The closest thing I said was that Military service didn't count as the only thing in serving ones country as we are not a military society like North Korea or ancient SPARTA. (You draw a difference between civil and community service, I personally don't, but fine, as I don't really care that much about semantics). My point was that there were other things that counted too in serving ones country, not just serving the military. Taking care of the elderly, poor and sick is just one such thing, although judging from your "shut-in" comment and overt sarcasm suggests you don't seem have much appreciation for it. Now that's being OVER-THE-TOP as you put it and was far more disrespectful than I was. The difference is that I don't I care nor will I lecture you about it.

This is my last post, as I don't wish to upset anyone further its not worth it. I did nothing wrong, and I will not change my mind about it.

Last edited:
You know, having to serve in the military isn't exactly a North Korea only thing. South Korea is the same but it is by no means a militarized society. In fact, being a professional soldier is considered very lowly here because of the old Confucian crap about how good quality steel never becomes a nail and good quality people never become soldiers. No wonder we have such a crap ass track record in defending this country. We are working very hard to reverse this trend and I hope to be a part of this effort as well.
Actually here's a fun fact: there's a match making service here (there are many) and there are certain descriptors about people which ranks them in terms of how well they are recommended to women as husbands. The lowest in this ranking system is North Korean refugee. The second lowest is military serviceman. But everyone has to join and do their part. That's the deal. If you don't, unless you have a lot of money that we want to get a piece of, we don't deal with you. Not a militarized society, but military service is a must. Hard to believe? Never mind.
If you agreed with the soldier, well that's hardly being disrespectful. But to disagree as heavy handed as you did is being disrespectful. You can disagree with the argument he made, preferably on another thread since we have tons regarding Iraq policy, but basically telling him to shut the f*ck up is disrespectful.
No, I don't think I wasn't wrong in not criticizing John Kerry. Other veterans can argue with him, but I have NOT earned the right to do so.
Actually I volunteered too. I worked at an elderly home for a while. It's a very, very sad place where nice old ladies wait for their turn to die. It's heart breaking. Yeah, I didn't get paid for it either. But it's hardly sacrifice.

Well.....
I can honestly say, I dont give a **** who wins the US President job.
mmarsh, you really shouldnt give a **** either, judging from the flag in your left column, you, very much like me, are not in the US.

I think you also need to realise, this forum is, now shoot me down if I am wrong, AIMED AT, AND FREQUENTED BY THE INTERNATIONAL MILITARY COMMUNITY!
You will get shot down by doing such silly things (in my mind) as compare soup kitchen service to military service. Sure its a good thing, but you serving up soup to some homeless fella is nothing like the service that I did.

Also, I would not see this as serving ones coutry, more a community thing, as it doesnt affect everyone

End Rant

Dave

You know, having to serve in the military isn't exactly a North Korea only thing. South Korea is the same but it is by no means a militarized society. In fact, being a professional soldier is considered very lowly here because of the old Confucian crap about how good quality steel never becomes a nail and good quality people never become soldiers. No wonder we have such a crap ass track record in defending this country. We are working very hard to reverse this trend and I hope to be a part of this effort as well.
Actually here's a fun fact: there's a match making service here (there are many) and there are certain descriptors about people which ranks them in terms of how well they are recommended to women as husbands. The lowest in this ranking system is North Korean refugee. The second lowest is military serviceman. But everyone has to join and do their part. That's the deal. If you don't, unless you have a lot of money that we want to get a piece of, we don't deal with you. Not a militarized society, but military service is a must. Hard to believe? Never mind.
If you agreed with the soldier, well that's hardly being disrespectful. But to disagree as heavy handed as you did is being disrespectful. You can disagree with the argument he made, preferably on another thread since we have tons regarding Iraq policy, but basically telling him to shut the f*ck up is disrespectful.
No, I don't think I wasn't wrong in not criticizing John Kerry. Other veterans can argue with him, but I have NOT earned the right to do so.
Actually I volunteered too. I worked at an elderly home for a while. It's a very, very sad place where nice old ladies wait for their turn to die. It's heart breaking. Yeah, I didn't get paid for it either. But it's hardly sacrifice.

There is a difference between North and South. In the North, the only thing that matters in society is the Military, everything in society is devoted to it. Whereas in south Korea and Israel, its only a part of society.

What did I say that was so heavy handed? That Iraq was about WMD (it was) that we were lied to (we were), that his political views are skewed by election rhetoric (IMHO they were). He made a tough political videoblog to Obama (kudos for him to do it) but I am absolutely entitled to either agree or refuted it. Politics is not ballet, this is a contact sport, there is no such thing as being heavy handed. The only part where I wouldn't go is to question his service, his patriotism, or him personally as that would have been out-of bounds.

And BTW I have had my patriotism question here at milforum several times. Did I whine about it? No I just put the person in his place with a refute. But I am absolutely entitled to attack his politics just like people here go after mine with equal force. That I am supposed to say nothing just because he was wounded in Iraq? Perhaps that might be some people's opinion, but its not mine and I wont abide by it. You people will have to accept that, because I will not sacrifice my principals for being Politically Correct.

And BTW I never told him to STFU, nor did I imply it. And like with USMC, I'm being accused of something I didn't say. I was hard on his opinions but I treated him as a equal opponent as I would anybody else here. I congratulate him on his bravery to speak of for his opinions, but I am absolutely entitled to pick apart his opinion.

You might not like this next part: but here goes. I admit I don't know this guy personally, but many (maybe even most) maimed people would be rather insulted if I didn't go hard on him because of their injuries. Many people who suffer grievous injuries do not want to be coddled by you, its insulting to them. What I did was to treat him as an equal by NOT throwing my verbal punches. This way I don't view as any less to me. I know two people personally who were exactly like this.

I am sorry some of you were offended, that was not my intention and its not that I am man enough to admit mistakes, but I will not apologize for something I don't feel was wrong.

Last edited:
Politics isn't a contact sport. How dare you.
Politics is several levels below that.
Because in contact sports you may fight with your opponent one on one or whatever. But you don't go around f*cking up the guy's kids and accusing his wife of being a *****.
I don't think I asked for an apology.
But your whole tune changed with the whole Palin thing, and you're taking it out on the guy (as well as everywhere else).
Yes, I also think his video is a little heavy on the rhetoric but hey, he was making a video going against some things Obama said that he felt didn't do justice to himself or the guys he served with.
You know what? I bet there is no one in the world who wishes America never went into Iraq than George W Bush right now. The world and history probably will not remember him very well and I am pretty darn sure that's not going to sit well with him.
Mmarsh, what you still don't get is this. The motivations for people involved in that war are not all the same. They think that because ten guys set out to do something they must have a common goal. This is often far from the truth.
Before you join here, if you are signing a voluntary contract, you will be in a room with several people for an interview in front of an officer (among other processes). He will ask you individually why you joined. You will be surprised at the variety of answers you will hear.
Same goes with Iraq. I'm sure several guys over there don't really care there weren't WMDs. If I get to go this time around (I sure hope I can) I certainly won't care. And I'll know what my mission is. In many ways it's personal but first and foremost professional.
Neither you or I know what's really going on in Iraq because neither of us have been there. What you see as rhetoric may actually be closer to the truth.

Politics isn't a contact sport. How dare you.
Politics is several levels below that.
Because in contact sports you may fight with your opponent one on one or whatever. But you don't go around f*cking up the guy's kids and accusing his wife of being a *****.
I don't think I asked for an apology.
But your whole tune changed with the whole Palin thing, and you're taking it out on the guy (as well as everywhere else).
Yes, I also think his video is a little heavy on the rhetoric but hey, he was making a video going against some things Obama said that he felt didn't do justice to himself or the guys he served with.
You know what? I bet there is no one in the world who wishes America never went into Iraq than George W Bush right now. The world and history probably will not remember him very well and I am pretty darn sure that's not going to sit well with him.
Mmarsh, what you still don't get is this. The motivations for people involved in that war are not all the same. They think that because ten guys set out to do something they must have a common goal. This is often far from the truth.
Before you join here, if you are signing a voluntary contract, you will be in a room with several people for an interview in front of an officer (among other processes). He will ask you individually why you joined. You will be surprised at the variety of answers you will hear.
Same goes with Iraq. I'm sure several guys over there don't really care there weren't WMDs. If I get to go this time around (I sure hope I can) I certainly won't care. And I'll know what my mission is. In many ways it's personal but first and foremost professional.
Neither you or I know what's really going on in Iraq because neither of us have been there. What you see as rhetoric may actually be closer to the truth.

Never watched the NBA have you? :-D

Except I wasn't questioning his views on what going down on the streets of Baghdad, which I will grant you his knowledge is deeper than mine I was questioning his view of the American and Iraqi POLITICS of whats going on. Specifically of what has been going on in Washington. Now I don't mean to be arrogant, but I am one of those CSPAN junkies. I keep myself informed in Washington Politics, I consider that a domain i am familiar with. His views on the ground as a soldier might be on target but his views on whats going on in DC backstage are way off the mark. Thats what I was criticizing.

As for me personally, I don't even care for Obama that much. The only reason I support him is because hes against the status quo unlike the GOP pair who represent the status quo. He's the lesser of two evils, this year Im going with the devil I dont know than the one I do. This is a political thread so I will criticize any opinion from anybody I disagree with. Frankly I really haven't changed that much except that I am angrier. Well there's a lot to be angry about. I see a continuation of Bush in McCain and espicially Palin who is even more radicial than he is. I cannot stand to suffer another 4 more disasterous years of the previous 8. You have no idea how painful it is to see your country being slowly destroyed. I dont think my heart could stand it, and that it seems exactly where we are going. If Obama wins and F**** up then by all means kick him out in 2012. But we dont need another Republican Far Right wingnut running things right now. The country needs a vacation from it.

Last edited:
Actually you couldn't be further from the truth.
I had to watch for ten years as the leftist government started brainwashing the public about the friendliness of North Korea. Granted, we must not be overly aggressive with North Korea, but elevating Kim Jong-il to a near celebrity status is just criminal. They covered up the countless crimes that happen in North Korea and have silenced people who wanted to speak out. The clashes with North Korean troops or sailors were kept under wraps as best as they could be managed.
They have, for all practical purposes, done a very good job of destroying my Marine Corps as well. We don't know if it'll ever recover.
Economically we've been doing okay thanks to the big industries in the country who do put a lot of effort into putting the country first, even while putting up with a lot of over the top sh*t from the unions.
Actually the leftist government wanted to bring down the big schools, the big institutions because President Noh Moo-hyun felt that it was "unfair" for everyone else. So what's he going to do, TEAR down the institutions that bring up the bar for everyone else? Yeah, some measures should be taken to make things a bit more fair but to try to GET RID of it, you've got to be kidding me. Good thing that the people he pissed off had enough money and resources to stop him.
That was the direction in which the country was going.
Also, distancing ourselves from the US is a HUGE strategic error, and thanks to the leftist government, it dropped to record lows despite the fact that there hasn't been significant bad conduct by America or American forces here. You know Japan screwing around about those islands? It's largely also because America is better friends with Japan than with South Korea and South Korea's kind of on America's sh*t list. Nice going...
And everyone's forgetting that the Chinese ARE NOT people you want to be friends with. Thanks to a lot of the reactionary anti-American crap.
That's why when Lee Myung-bak (the current President) took to office, one of the FIRST things he did was mend relations with the United States.

So there, it's not just you.
There are some good things about the leftist government, but all of it really has to do with before they came to power. Once they got into power it was disaster.

I think this thread has pretty well been discussed, and with good points and counterpoints, to a good stopping place before tempers are completely irrepairable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back