Parents & Technology

JulesLee

My dad and grandmother spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out why a particular website wouldn't load. It turned out it was an email address. -SmokeSignalSky from UGA

I was working for Verizon as a DSL install tech. This woman ordered a wireless router for her DSL connection. When I showed up to install it she got angry and yelled, "It's not wireless! See? You still have to plug it in!" and pointed to the power outlet and the cable box.- Scott H.

When my dad is trying to email something out I have to describe the @ symbol as "uppercase 2." -Art from Kettering

My mom wanted some help checking her email. I asked what the address was, and she said it was with her first-and-last-name@ hotmail.com. So I tried and tried to access it but couldn’t figure it out. Finally, in frustration, I asked if she had even set it up. She responded “No, I just figured everyone else has one like that so I probably had one in there too.”
-Jonathan Danson

My mom once sent me an email complaining that, "The Internet wasn't working."
-Bryan E.

My dad was going to Europe recently. He called to ask not only if his laptop would work over there, but also if the pictures he took would be compatible with his U.S. computer.
-Brian S.

I got my dad an iPod for Christmas. After taking it out of the package several weeks later, he called me and asked how to activate it, and how much it is a month for service.
-Will B.

I set up a Yahoo! e-mail account with my mom. She tried to access it by going to yahoo, typing her e-mail address in the search field and hitting enter.
- Mark B.

My mom opened up Microsoft Word and typed "the internet" on the document and hit enter, fully expecting it to connect her to the Internet.
-Mark B. again, whose mom is apparently really stupid

We set my grandmother up with the Internet so that she could e-mail out of town relatives. She called my dad in a panic one day and said she didn’t know what to do, the cops were probably on the way. He said, "Mom, what did you do?" She said, "I was on the online and a screen popped up that said I performed and illegal operation."
-Brian S.

My mom once called me up and asked me how to turn off the screensaver.
-Bridget from Fordham.

Every time my mom sends me a text message, she calls me immediately afterward asking, "Did you get my text message?"
-James from Creighton

My father-in-law asked me where the lower-case keys are.
-Brian H.

I tried to teach my grandmother basic computer skills, but I wasn't able to get anywhere with her because she kept rotating the mouse on the mouse-pad. She thought you had to steer it like a car when you wanted the pointer to go someplace.
-Kurtis from University of Missouri-Columbia

My grandfather literally used the screen as a mousepad because he thought the cursor was controlled by the mouse being on the screen. -Chad G.

My grandmother got a digital camera for her birthday, and took it with her on a trip the next week. Since the camera's setting was on video from day one, she took 5-second video clips the whole trip and no pictures. When the memory was full, she put the camera back in the box and left it in the closet for a year because she didn't know how to take the footage off.
-Ty from Willamette

Instead of shutting off the computer, my grandma just pulls the plug.
-Liz from Schaumburgn

My mom once claimed that we had an outlet for wireless in our house, apparently not realizing that makes no sense.
-J from UPenn

One day I showed my mom our house in Google Earth. She got up from her seat, walked into the middle of our front yard, started looking up at the sky, and started yelling, "can you see me from space?"
- Blake R from Southern Maryland

My mother sent me to help her friend because she was having trouble installing new software. When I got there I saw that her fifteen-year-old computer had a five-and-a-quarter-inch floppy drive on it. She had jammed the CD into it.
-Andrew

My grandmother once yelled at me, saying that if I type too fast I will break her computer.
-Tyler from Lakeville

My dad asked me how to send a text message from the house phone. He had been trying all day.
-Eli

We recently set up an email address for my grandmother. She was hoping I would email her, so when we spoke on the phone she explained, "My email is willsgranny@yahoo.com and my password is roses."
-Will from Fordham

My dad asked me if cell phones could call land lines. He thought you could only call other cell phones, "like wake-talkies."
-Jessica from Des Moines

My grandpa saw a "Wifi coming soon" ad on a McDonalds placemat and said, "Looks like McDonalds is adding some Asian food to their menu."
- Colin from Kent State

When I was seven years old, my mother was trying to set up our new computer. The set up program kept telling her to push the start button. She sat their for an hour pushing the screen.
-Joe

And a very special children just don't understand:
My four-year-old son has one of our older computers in his room to play educational games. Since it's old, it freezes up a lot. When I explained the problem, he told me to just heat it up so it's not so cold.
-Jennifer

When I got a new cell phone, I called my mom to tell her. I mentioned it was a camera phone and she said "Really? Can you see me right now?"
-Deidre R.

Before my mom and I got in the car to drive to Toronto, she reassured me that her friend had emailed directions and we were ready to go. When we were on the road, she told me she needed to use my laptop because the directions were in my email. I asked how she intended to view her email in the middle of the highway and she responded, "I thought your laptop had the Internet on it."
-Jessica from Des Moines

I received the following email from my mother:
"Aunt Carolyn has sent me two e-mails with those adoable kities from one of thsoe intersenet groups that you showed me last summer. Can you sned her the link to the group with the kitties with bad gramamr and spelling almsot as bad as mine?"
- Katie

A few years ago my mom tried to call my brother and reached his voice mail. She left a 2-minute message calling out for him to pick up the phone, as if it was being played through his speaker phone.
-Shawn from Temple

(Continued it was too long)

My parents still use AOL.
-Kai D.

While my mother was looking over my shoulder an an AIM conversation:
Mom: "What does LMAO mean?"
Me: "It's an abbreviation"
Mom: "Let's Make An Omelette?"
-Chris F.

When Gwen Stefani's song "Hollaback Girl" came on, my dad sang what he thought were the words while tapping his fingers and bobbing his head to the beat - "I ain't no Harlem black girl."
-Christine R.

My mom bought a Nintendo DS to play Brain Age. After it sat on her desk for about a month, I asked her why she hadn't opened it yet. She said she didn't have the time to install the software.
- Jon from Toronto

My oldest brother is in the military and was just on deployment in Iraq for about a year. Using a phone at his base in Baghdad, routered through who knows what monitoring agencies, he would call home every month or so. My mother, being worried and feeling lonely that he had not called in a while, decided to hit 'call back' on the number stored on our caller ID. After some confusion on the other end of how an incoming call came in, my mom said she was trying to reach her son stationed in Iraq. The person responded, "Ma'am, you've reached the Pentagon." A day or so later my brother was scolded by his commanding officer for not keeping in better touch with his mom. Poor kid, fighting for his nation and his mother is still embarrassing him.
- Devin from Villanova

My mom asked me what MP3's look like.
-Jessica L.

My mom was trying to find a picture I had taken for her. She called me up to ask where it was. I told her to navigate to her desktop and look for it there. She said, "But I only have this laptop."
-Brendan M.

During class, we were doing student presentations using a new projector attached to a laptop on a cart. When the screen first turned on, it was partially on the wall and the ceiling. The professor just sat there and stared at it. After about two minutes of doing nothing, someone asked him if he was going to fix the projector so that it was completely on the wall. He responded with, "I thought that it would automatically adjust itself, I didn't know I had to do it manually."
- Jon from Toronto

On spam emails about ***** enhancment:
Grandma: Do you ever get e-mails?
Me: Yeah....
Grandma: What I mean is, do you ever get SEXY e-mails?
- Devin from Villanova

Every time my dad wants to check his email, he goes to Google, types in www.hotmail.com, hits search, and clicks on Hotmail. He recently told me he discovered a shortcut - he can just hit "I'm Feeling Lucky."
-Jared Codling

My grandmother once used all the pictures on a disposable camera, then threw it away. She thought the pictures would come in the mail.
-Mike M. from Mass Maritime

"My uncle asked how much it costs to delete files from his computer -- which was not online, I should add."
-Patrick Cassels

I received a message in my Facebook inbox from my mother with the subject "OMG what have I done????" and a message that said "Help!! I don't know what I'm doing! I'm just following the prompts!!!!!"
- Lauramy N.

And the most dangerous award goes to - My mom turns down the radio in the car so she can read her text messages.
-Bret S.

My mom asked me to set her up with an email address, but she has never oncelogged on. She said she thought she needed one to be able to playsolitaire on the computer.
-Kailey D.

My dad wanted to get an HD television, so my mom asked me how much it would cost to upgrade their 30-year-old tv.
-Darby D.

It took nearly an hour on the phone for me to explain to my mom how to open, save, and re-open a file in Word. The next week she called me back asking how to save a file in Excel.
-Sean from University of Alberta

My dad asked me to go with him to buy a new cell phone. While we were in the store, I was explaining to him all of the new features you can get on a phone. I said, "This has the basic stuff, like when someone calls you, their picture appears on the screen, so you can see who is calling you." Hhe responded, "What if they are in the bathtub when they call?"
-Curt

My aunt asked why her wireless router wasn't working. I went to check it out, and she had the cable modem plugged directly into the laptop and nothing but the power plugged into the wireless router. I explained to her that she needed to plug the modem into the wireless router and she responded, "So now I am going to have to carry around that stupid box everywhere I go?"
-Kyle W.

I let my mom borrow my laptop one day and when she brought it back she was angry about how the "stupid thing didn't work" and "the touch screen was unresponsive." I don't have a touch screen.
-Shannon M.

Once I was supposed to be doing a project for school, but all my friends were on AIM. Hours passed and I had done little on my project, so my father screams at the top of his lungs, "Matt - if you don't start working on your project I'll unplug your A-I-M!"
-Matt O.

My 75-year-old grandfather just bought a laptop so he could learn to use the Internet. I got an empty email from him yesterday, and the subject heading was, "Andrew what does it mean when it asks 'are you sure you want to send an empty message' when i click on the send button??? ----love grandad"
-Andrew S. from Frostburg

My parents were shopping for a new dictionary online. I told them it was free at dictionary.com. My mom said, "Free? But you must still have to pay for shipping."
-Alex J.

My father called and asked, "I know you know computers, so I wanted to ask you which is the best type of computer out of Apple, Dell, or Gateway?" I told him, "I'm not sure, it depends on what you want to do. Are you getting a new one?" He says, "Probably, I just wanted to ask you because I got an email telling me I've been chosen chosen to win a free computer out of those choices, and I also got a $200 gas card."
-Darby D.

I received the following text message from my mom: "ill call them when i get off work lATER TODAY AND HOW DO I KEEP GETTING THESE GOD DAMN CAPITOL LETTERS ON!!!" .
-Kyle from VT

I walked into my house and my dad said he heard on the golf course about a book of faces, and that all his friends were worried that their children were in it because it is supposed to be college kids. He asked me if I had put my face in it and if it was a cult.
-Anonymous

My sweet ol' Granny Myrle recently got her first computer. After playing solitaire for a while, she called my dad and said, "I have to stop playing! I owe a lot of money!" She had the "vegas scoring" option turned on. I love you Granny!
-Gabe S.

My parents got their first new computer in eight years while I was in town over Christmas, so I set it up for them and helped them get used to Vista. I left my dad to transfer files from his old computer on floppy disks, but soon got called back in to help him. He thought he had gotten the wrong size floppy drive. I came back in and found him under the desk, trying to fit a disk into the subwoofer."
-Daniel L.

My friend's dad worked for a local cable company answering phones and helping people with their computer problems. One time an old lady called and asked if somebody could come by and shorten her cable because it was too long. He said, "oh we can do that automatically from here if I just pull on it....how is it now?" She replied, "It's much better thank you."
-Patrick R.

My mom asked me to send my sister an e-mail telling her to "check her e-mail."
-Jeff A

I've worked at an internet company for about a year. One day, a lady called and told me her computer wouldn't turn on no matter what she did. I said "Ok, can you look at the back of the computer and make sure the power cable is plugged in." She responded, "Just give me a second, I have to find a flashlight because the power is out here at my house."
-Nick P.

Thank god my stepdad builds computers for a living. My mom, unfortunately, is retarded when it comes to computers. The worst part is i'm the one home until six so I have to help her. :bang:

Back