Panama anyone? - Page 2

--

May 14th, 2014  
dadsgirl

Thanks MontyB! Never thought of looking on YouTube..makes sense. I'm looking at time frames and age. He was born in 1927. First paper said 1945, last said 1953.
Last Memorial Day, I said thank you for serving. He had once told me ( when I was a small child) that he he was a medic in Korea. You read correctly. He said said no dear, I served in World War ll. Made sense, I knew it anyway, he sang songs in my childhood from that era., as I've said before spoke German. Besides, he was 86 then. When he came back from wherever he was he poured himself into his career & family. More questions please ask. I will try answer them to best of my abilities.
Thank again,
Dadsgirl
May 15th, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgirl
Thanks MontyB! Never thought of looking on YouTube..makes sense. I'm looking at time frames and age. He was born in 1927. First paper said 1945, last said 1953.
Last Memorial Day, I said thank you for serving. He had once told me ( when I was a small child) that he he was a medic in Korea. You read correctly. He said said no dear, I served in World War ll. Made sense, I knew it anyway, he sang songs in my childhood from that era., as I've said before spoke German. Besides, he was 86 then. When he came back from wherever he was he poured himself into his career & family. More questions please ask. I will try answer them to best of my abilities.
Thank again,
Dadsgirl
A lot of declassified material is turning up on Youtube these days, another place to look is scribd for declassified documents.

Oddly enough my father served in both WW2 and Korea as he enlisted under age and only reached the Front line in mid-1943 as such he was sent to Japan at the end of the war as part of J-Force and then went to Korea.

The odd thing is that it wasn't until late in his life that he started to talk about his experiences during WW2 but he never spoke about Korea.

He look a lot of photos during his service but of the hundreds he took in Italy and Japan he only had about 3 from Korea as such I am not sure what to make of that part of his life so I understand how hard it is to make sense of these things.
May 15th, 2014  
dadsgirl

Morning! I used to wear my Dad's p.j.s, therefore looking through his chest of drawers was a given. So naturally I saw the small book of photographs. THE photos. The two that I posted are the only ones I have. I'm assuming my brother has the rest. I do not know if I will see the rest. But, I do have his Navy wallet.
Have about a dozen or so original service papers. Not all are there. Even have the original envelope. Started out as USNR ...active- to the Navy... active-...to the USAR MI, active....early 50's. Of course questions abound for me. The only service years I have for him are 1945-47, then nothing until the early 50's.????
p.s. still like wearing dad's old clothes
--
August 10th, 2014  
Bimcnorth

Good find MontyB..
August 10th, 2014  
MontyB

Hehe sometimes you get lucky and find a link to stories.
September 11th, 2014  
tetvet

My only thought about Panama was we should have kept the canal even if it was obsolete , after all we created Panama out of a piece of Colombia and we built the Canal at tremendous expense .