Out of Iraq - Page 2

--

October 26th, 2011  
Yossarian

Strangely, about the around 150 U.S. Embassy personnel left behind to sell arms and strike military contracts with the Iraqi Defense forces seems surprisingly like a wise decision.

Upon I suppose if they are going to need arms, might as well make you know where they are getting them.
October 26th, 2011  
eTe

Don't worry 42RM. I already understand most of this. The not actually understanding what it was like.
I didn't know about the what to do if they cry, but the rest I understand.
A bit of common sense and fore-thought should make it clear to most.
October 28th, 2011  
RayManKiller3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Can of Man
I don't think the US could ever afford a universal draft where everyone is required to serve.
Agreed, not to mention it would not be supported by the majority of U.S citizen unless some dire situation is at hand. Not sure, but maybe universal draft probably can help out the education in this country (which has potential to decrease poverty due to every 18 or so year old person working).

That might or might not happen, but wouldn't that lower the standards of the U.S military? What if someone is fit, but for some reason can not reach it?

This isn't a small country like Israel, whom have this sort of draft.
--
October 29th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

I have always been a fan of some sort of National Service or Draft.

However, these days equipment is so complicated, training a national serviceman for a two year commitment would be far too expensive and not cost effective.

There was a story years ago in the UK, where some bright spark suggested that young offenders should be forced to join the Army as an alternative to jail. An Army officer replied emphatically, “We sure as hell don't want them.” or words to that effect.

I shudder at the thought of training a young thug to use all manner of lethal equipment. Although they could be put to use clearing minefields, fingers in ears while stamping on the ground.