origins of the term Commando

Yes it came from the Boer war, and fast groups of Boer Horsemen that would raid the British lines were called Commandos. The name was later adopted by the British for their raiding forces in WW2

Thank you,
I always suspected this was the case, but was never sure. The conversation about militias brought this up for me again.

I'm not sure about it being from the Boer war, never heard it, but that doesnt mean its not true.

It was certainly popularised by Winston Churchill as it was at his request that commando forces were formed to perform raids against German coastal positions.

I dont think they had the greatest military value, but kept the Germans on guard and would of told us alot about there coastal defences. Also when we werent waging a land war in Europe it would of been good for moral.

PrivatePyle said:
I'm not sure about it being from the Boer war, never heard it, but that doesnt mean its not true.

It was certainly popularised by Winston Churchill as it was at his request that commando forces were formed to perform raids against German coastal positions.

I dont think they had the greatest military value, but kept the Germans on guard and would of told us alot about there coastal defences. Also when we werent waging a land war in Europe it would of been good for moral.

Churchill knew about Commando's (Kommandoe) because he was captured by a Boer Kommandoe unit during the Boer War.
I think he wrote about it in a book somewhere. Another good book about said war is "The Boer War" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Well worth a read.
I think the Commando's really did a lot to save allied lives during WW2. I mean, look at their training at the time - it was way more advanced that any training available to anyone else at the time.

bushpig1998 said:
PrivatePyle said:

Churchill knew about Commando's (Kommandoe) because he was captured by a Boer Kommandoe unit during the Boer War.
I think he wrote about it in a book somewhere. Another good book about said war is "The Boer War" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Well worth a read.
I think the Commando's really did a lot to save allied lives during WW2. I mean, look at their training at the time - it was way more advanced that any training available to anyone else at the time.

I'm onto amazon now :) Cheers for the background info.

PrivatePyle said:
bushpig1998 said:
PrivatePyle said:

I'm onto amazon now :) Cheers for the background info.

You are most welcome! I hope you enjoy the book. It is really well written and is as balanced as it gets. I enjoyed it a lot!

Back