Oliver Stone Praises Castro, Rips Bush - Page 3




 
--
Boots
 
September 29th, 2004  
Courtenay
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Guy
So releaving to be around smart people who share my views on the world.
LOL---Smart because we share you view? Or are we just smart?!
September 29th, 2004  
Lupos
 
 
I think these Hollywood types do this mostly for the sake of getting attention.
September 29th, 2004  
A Can of Man
 
 
Regarding the celebrities...

Remember that although they portray soldiers, statesmen etc. on the screen, in reality remember that they are actors.
Generally (I mean generally, not totally), people involved in the arts are people who feel... they are feelers not really thinkers. So they tend to lean to the left to begin with anyway.
To succeed in the field, you have to pretty much share the same beliefs. I'm sure we can relate to that too. If we meet someone with similar beliefs, we hit it off much better even if there are some radical differences.
Basically throughout their careers, starting from high school until college or whatever acting route they take they meet others of the same belief and solidify it. Also whenever they say things others think they are rewarded... not to mention the old fashioned sucking up tactic. When you keep repeating something to yourself, even if it really isn't making much sense, it will start to make sense, especially as others with the same belief fill in the gaps. Then eventually it will seem like the right answer to you. This is actually a bit like how brainwashing works... except you're doing it to yourself.
Remember the rule of Dale Carnegie... if you want your way with people, don't disagree or argue. Then of course when they're butter, they're all yours! lol

But yeah there's a little explaining.

They fail to realize what an incredible responsibility they have. When famous people say something people tend to believe it, especially if they're people who are linked in memory to something good. Actors tend to have that because they might remind us of a movie that made us feel good, so we're more prone to taking their opinion for fact on the spot. It's how the whole hierarchical diffusion works. Important guy does or says something, then it trickles down to a heck of a lot of people. And because we are better connected, diffusion reaches further and faster.

It's really an enormous power. People have to realize that most of these actors, though accomplished, are not TRAINED to think about these topics. Believe it or not, your mind needs training before it can actually make proper assessments and how some answers that seem right and feel right can have devestating consequences.
--
Boots
September 29th, 2004  
Italian Guy
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtenay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Guy
So releaving to be around smart people who share my views on the world.
LOL---Smart because we share you view? Or are we just smart?!
Is there another way of being smart ?
September 29th, 2004  
03USMC
 
 
Ah the intelligence of a man can be judged by how much he agrees with you. 8)

Asner also supported the Sandanistas in Nicaragua, and the Insurgents in El Salvador. He's displayed a pronounced communistic bent for years.

It seems that while all of these celebs support the cause of the communists they understand very little of how it works. They are fat happy and rich and don't understand that would all go away under a communist regieme along with their right to their opinions.
September 29th, 2004  
Courtenay
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
It seems that while all of these celebs support the cause of the communists they understand very little of how it works. They are fat happy and rich and don't understand that would all go away under a communist regieme along with their right to their opinions.
That is the point really isn't it? They can sit here cushy and safe in America, and 'support' whatever the hell they want.

I think after the big McCarthy shake-up it became COOL to support communism, insurgency, etc. Why? Who the hell knows, other than maybe it is thier way of fighting against thier idea of the 'system'. Sort of like teenagers who never grow up.


edited to add: ooooops, guess I said a bad word....sorry!
September 29th, 2004  
03USMC
 
 
Your probably right. However IMO when someone of celebrity status voices their beliefs without regard to history or fact, is it not up to real people to point out that said celeb is fulla horse manure and verges on the point of being a functional idiot? my.02
September 29th, 2004  
Courtenay
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Your probably right. However IMO when someone of celebrity status voices their beliefs without regard to history or fact, is it not up to real people to point out that said celeb is fulla horse manure and verges on the point of being a functional idiot? my.02
I get your point. The problem lies in the fact that our culture blows up celebrities into some sort of demi-god status. Where they really believe that they somehow know everything. When they are stood up to, they disregard it. After all, how could we of lower status know anything?

It's twisted. But it's what it is.

Kind of like the statement to Martin Sheen....."You are NOT the President of the United States Mr. Sheen, you only PLAY him on TV." But when you hear him going on, you wonder if HE gets it!
September 29th, 2004  
03USMC
 
 
Your right they consider us as the great unwashed. They feel it is their "duty" to educate us. Because how could we know what is right and wrong unless instructed by someone who is in the ...... gasp......... movin pitchers.

Martin Sheen and politics hold on I gotta get the Pepto.
September 29th, 2004  
Courtenay
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Your right they consider us as the great unwashed. They feel it is their "duty" to educate us. Because how could we know what is right and wrong unless instructed by someone who is in the ...... gasp......... movin pitchers.
Unfortunately, we (we meaning the American public) put them on that pedestal. Human beings in general like to have someone or something to worship. And IMO it started with celebrity endorsements, probably going back most notably in WWII. It's the idea if you really like someone, then you'll like what they like. Simplistic, but it worked. So in WWII celebrities were used to endorse our war effort. Advertisers, seeing how successful that angle was, started doing the same.....and that has continued through to today. If your favorite star drinks diet coke, then drinking it yourself brings you somehow closer.....when you look at it logically, it seems ridiculous. But feelings are never logical.

Celebrities KNOW the power of their celebrity. It is in thier best interest to ***** it while they still have it, and they do.

Thing is, they also know the power of their celebrity to push whatever little private political agenda they have running through their normally less than educated or knowledgeable little heads.

Your average American seems unable to discriminate between the character they love on the screen, and the person playing the character. When that person comes out in favor of something, or against something, there will always be a whole flock of sheep following along. The celebrities KNOW this.....

What we should be letting them KNOW, is that we don't care what they think, or what they endorse. We like being entertained by them, and that's all we want from them...but it'll never happen.