Is obese necessarily bad?

Depends on what's classified as obese....

I think the technical expression is a little faulted IMO. People like 300+ pounds, now that's terrible.

I have no problems with overweight but if we're talking REALLY overweight then there is no way that can be a good thing. Just like there is nothing good about being an anorexic.

the_13th_redneck said:
I have no problems with overweight but if we're talking REALLY overweight then there is no way that can be a good thing. Just like there is nothing good about being an anorexic.

yup that's what I was thinkin'

I say yes. It is bad for your health. Your heart can't pump efficiently through your body and you have high pressure and cholesterol, etc. It can't be good for your self esteem with all the strange looks and jeers! And humans weren't designed to be that fat.

Now here's a thought to ponder. Your average NFL lineman weighs in exess of 300 pounds. Yet they are some of the greatest athletes in the world. They are healthy as horses with strength and endurance to boot. Are they obese?

obese is to be extremely fat; grossly overweight.

The NFL linemen are a bit obese becuase even thoug most of their weight is muscle, which weighs more that fat, and their bodies can handle the weight well. So they are healthily obese; they maybe strong as an ox, but their still fat.

Darkmb101 said:
obese is to be extremely fat; grossly overweight.

The NFL linemen are a bit obese becuase even thoug most of their weight is muscle, which weighs more that fat, and their bodies can handle the weight well. So they are healthily obese; they maybe strong as an ox, but their still fat.
Uh huh.

nope, being obese is not a good thing.
fortunately, with a healthy diet and regular exercise, you can loss weight!
thats the real secret, forget your "miracle diets" or special drink powders, a properly formulated meal plan and exercise is the way to go!

pressure is awful nowadays to be perfect though, it can be very depressing, im now on a 1000 calorie a day diet. :(

so hungry!

Severe obesity is a deadly health risk for both women and men. I think women are under a lot more pressure to stay skinny in today's society than men are. An obese man (90+ pounds overweight we'll say) with a very charming personality still has a very good chance of hooking up with a very hot wife. I've seen it happen too many times. There isn't much chance for a woman that is overweight to that level. I can't think of a single exception I've ever seen. The very overweight girl doesn't stand much chance at all of hooking it up with the more desireable men. The truly unlucky thing is that women generally have a lot harder time losing weight than men (there are certainly plenty of exceptions, but this is true more often than not).

Technically you are obese if your BMI is >30. But being obese isn't healthy at all. It's really getting out of hand in the US. These stupid diet pills aren't helping either, neither are the reality TV shows (The Biggest Loser on Fox). The diet pills don't do anything, and TV only exploit obese people. I believe to a point being overweight is genetics. But there is no reason anyone should weigh 400+lbs. Of course part of this can be contributed to poverty and junk food being the only cheap source of food for some families.
But look at countries like Australia, they are one of the most physically fit countries in the world, same as Canada. If they can do it, I don't see why the US can't.

A traditional diet of very fattening foods, a culture of excuses and just general laziness. They all lead to the outcome. The very best solution to obesity is to never become obese. Bad genes? Great, we'll all cry with you for a few minutes, but you CAN change your metabolism and you CAN beat genetics.

It's strange that obesity is a lot more problematic amongst the poorer half of America. Seems pretty contradictory, doesn't it? Historically, its the poor people of the world that are starving to death, yet in America many very poor people are killing themselves with obesity.

McDonalds/fast food, doughnuts and other such things aren't helping matters.

I find that kind of interesting too. Maybe instead of sending wheat to these starving countries in Africa we'll just open up a McDonalds or something.
There was a thing on 20/20 or something a couple years ago about how they found that the highest obesity rates were on Indian Reservations. I thought that was interesting.

i agree, obesity is out of control in the USA, but anorexia is also a growing problem. Its too easy to gain a few pounds a weeks, however, its difficult to lose the extra fat.

i've been trying to put on weight for the last few months. i've been taking the weight gainers and protein and everything. i'm still not at the weight i want either. another 10lbs and i think i'm good. so i think it works both ways, hard to lose or gain, depending on the person. but i think the motivation to change is the big difference.

Obese is bad, it's not good for your health. You can get heart disease, liver complaints, or harpooned when you go swimming :lol: Just kidding. It's a growing problem brought on by our lifestyle, and it's not healthy.

AussieNick said:
Obese is bad, it's not good for your health. You can get heart disease, liver complaints, or harpooned when you go swimming :lol: Just kidding. It's a growing problem brought on by our lifestyle, and it's not healthy.

lol :lol:

Back