Ninjas the old tactics vs modern terrorist threat - Page 3

--

December 22nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

I was referring more to their swift movement, use of silent weapons, excellent hand to hand combat and building infiltration skills.
Walking on water is more reminiscent of Kung Foo movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwasp
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
But it's no secret, a lot of Ninja techniques and tactics can still be used with great effect.
I love the way they walk on water, that tactic is smark, and can still be used.
December 22nd, 2004  
playstation60

Topic: Ninjas

In my opinion, ninjas in the historically sense are outdated and no longer of as much use as during their time.

One of the main reasons a ninja was so effective is that they were trained basically from birth. No modern military can boast anything close to that.

I just don't see the point of having "ninjas" in the modern world. They are an old world solution for old world problems. Some of the techniques they designed and employed are used by our Special Forces teams right now, but that is where it should, and probably will stay.

Ben
December 22nd, 2004  
devilwasp

Quote:
I was referring more to their swift movement, use of silent weapons, excellent hand to hand combat and building infiltration skills.
Walking on water is more reminiscent of Kung Foo movies.
Yeah thier combat skills where great, the walking on water trick is an escape manovour, the ninja places stones in the water in places he wants and then if the need arises he can run at full speed over them while the enemy trudge through the water. The enemy couldnt use them because only the ninja knew where they where.
Have you seen thier weapons? The weapons they had where impressive.
--
December 22nd, 2004  
devilwasp

Topic: Re: Ninjas

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstation60
In my opinion, ninjas in the historically sense are outdated and no longer of as much use as during their time.

One of the main reasons a ninja was so effective is that they were trained basically from birth. No modern military can boast anything close to that.

I just don't see the point of having "ninjas" in the modern world. They are an old world solution for old world problems. Some of the techniques they designed and employed are used by our Special Forces teams right now, but that is where it should, and probably will stay.

Ben
The SF teams cant get into places a ninja can. Imagine you wanted to take out an enemy general in his comand centre, then a ninja would be able to do it and escape. A SF team would need to fight or call in an airstrike or artillery support to handle the problem.
December 22nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

Imagine the psychological impact that would have had on their opponents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwasp
Yeah thier combat skills where great, the walking on water trick is an escape manovour, the ninja places stones in the water in places he wants and then if the need arises he can run at full speed over them while the enemy trudge through the water. The enemy couldnt use them because only the ninja knew where they where.
Have you seen thier weapons? The weapons they had where impressive.
December 22nd, 2004  
devilwasp

Quote:
Imagine the psychological impact that would have had on their opponents!
Thats one of the cool things about it, another one is the way they could digest a sheet of paper and bring it back up and still be able to read it.
December 23rd, 2004  
Kinection

I think you guys are overestimating a Ninja's capabilities.

Are Ninja's trained against interrogation techniques? What happens if the enemy has night vision? Can a Ninja trained in the old ways unerstand how to hide his heat signature? Can he shoot?

Under ideal situations, a ninja may do well. But under modern circumstances, no.
December 23rd, 2004  
devilwasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinection
I think you guys are overestimating a Ninja's capabilities.
Ninjas where the old days SF goups
Quote:
Are Ninja's trained against interrogation techniques?
Yes and infact many where trained to kill themselves if they where captured, the ninjas skill was not getting caught and haveing great escapes.
Quote:
What happens if the enemy has night vision?
Night vision doesnt work through water does it?
The enemy can't be everywhere at all times.
Quote:
Can a Ninja trained in the old ways unerstand how to hide his heat signature?
A modernday ninja could learn to by using heat proof suits, its just as easy to hide your heat signature as it is to camoflauge yourself.
Quote:
Can he shoot?
Yes they had back in the old days very good archery skills and invented many weapons still used today.
Quote:
Under ideal situations, a ninja may do well. But under modern circumstances, no.
Under modern circumstances and he being a top of the range ninja then hell yeah, i mean now he can snipe a target from miles away and no one would find him.
A modernday SF team has troubles due to security. The ninja wouldnt give his supplier away since his family and house would lose face, that was unacceptable.
December 23rd, 2004  
A Can of Man

A ninja had no family. He had no name and his identity was considered the least important part of him.
December 24th, 2004  
Kinection

Quote:
Yes and infact many where trained to kill themselves if they where captured, the ninjas skill was not getting caught and haveing great escapes.
Modern day soldiers are not told to seppuku themselves when interrogated. Soldiers go through a camp where they learn the proper techniques these days.

[quoet]Yes they had back in the old days very good archery skills and invented many weapons still used today. [/quote]
I'm talking about guns. Arrows aren't the best weapons for long range shooting, or for CQB.

Quote:
i mean now he can snipe a target from miles away and no one would find him.
We have snipers that do that now, what's the difference?

Quote:
A modernday SF team has troubles due to security.
What does this mean?

Quote:
The ninja wouldnt give his supplier away since his family and house would lose face, that was unacceptable.
That doesn't apply to modern day situations, we wouldn't have "families." In this sense, it would be replaced by a country, but then again, all SF soldiers fight for their country and wouldn't want their country to lose face either.