Newsweek May 9, 2005 Issue

Cabal said:
Thanks for the information. I'll try to find an article regarding to the art work you referred to.

Here is one of many. The name of the painting was "Piss Christ", I think that's what had everyone honked off, that and the fact that the artist received money from taxpayers by the NEA.

http://slate.msn.com/id/74144/

I remember this from a while back. There was also one which someone made a picture of the Virgin Mary (or either Mother Teresa) with elephant dung.

There was somewhat of a big uproar of complaint and what-not, but it was limited to that. I don't remember anyone dying or getting killed or anything, or an fatwas (santioned assasinations) being issues for those involved.

Like that one story of the guy who changed his name to Jesus Christ, if someone did the equivalent of that in Islam such as naming himself "The Prophet Mohammed" (first name: The Prophet / last name: Mohammed) or "The Original Mohammed" he'd probably be dead by now.

Iraqi Holy Mosques

First of all, Newsweek has totally backtracked on the story, so it is a hypothetical.

But I'll take the "just another excuse to hate America" radical muslim minions more seriously when I see an uproar over the terrorists in Iraq abusing Mosques by using them as sanctuaries to hide and also fire on Americans.

The uproar is nowhere to be found.

Re: Iraqi Holy Mosques

Red52 said:
First of all, Newsweek has totally backtracked on the story, so it is a hypothetical.

But I'll take the "just another excuse to hate America" radical muslim minions more seriously when I see an uproar over the terrorists in Iraq abusing Mosques by using them as sanctuaries to hide and also fire on Americans.

The uproar is nowhere to be found.

The issue here is the Newsweek story. Lets keep to that subject.

It seems that muslims around the world do not believe the backtrack by Newsweek.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/05/27/muslim.protests.ap/index.html

Personally, I am pissed at a few things. The US failed to address treatment of EPW's in Iraq other than a boring 1 hour brief. Then you got the press who loves to jump on a story that makes the US look bad like a fly on :cen:

When will it stop?

Reason they don't believe the retraction

Is twofold:

1) They are used to single sources of information (ie. the state, the party, the cleric) giving them information, which is rarely challenged. So, now a news sources is backtracking,,,,"ah that couldn't be" That is a totally unique perspective for many in the Arab/Muslim world.

2) They are taught early to hate and at the least, dislike all things non-Muslim, Jewish, or American...so of course they think the story must be true.

The reaction in the Arab world to the false Newsweek story is as much a part of the Newsweek story as the words in the story themselves.

I don't know if this is off topic or not but there is so much talk of religion and violence in here I might as well throw this in. Some of the worst murderers known to date were SECULAR. Hitler and Stalin are the most famous examples. Chairman Mao was also secular I think. Kim Jong-il and Kim Il-sung as well.

the_13th_redneck said:
I don't know if this is off topic or not but there is so much talk of religion and violence in here I might as well throw this in. Some of the worst murderers known to date were SECULAR. Hitler and Stalin are the most famous examples. Chairman Mao was also secular I think. Kim Jong-il and Kim Il-sung as well.

Just as a point of information, Hitler, Stalin and The Kim family all pushed (or push in the latter case) their personality cults as substitute religions.

Deviation from the orthodox party line incurred penalties that even the Inquisition did not use (mass forced labor, whole systems of prison camps, mass executions, forced starvation of whole groups in addition to the usual persecution, torture and execution of individuals).

A twisted evil mind balks at nothing. :twisted:

Back