A New US State? (hypothetical questions btw)

RayManKiller3

I know it is probably a stupid idea and will get a lot of critism, I still would like to hear how you guys will respond to it. The question is pretty much hypothetical:

What if Iraq or (parts of it) polled its citizens on asking, would they mind to try out to become a US state.

1. What do you think will be the results (will majority decline or accept).

2. IF majority did accept and Iraq petitioned US congress to become a state do you think US Congress would vote yes or no?

3. What you think American people would respond like (Congress normally disregard the American people, that is why it is a different question than #2).

4. IF voted yes by Congress, how do you think other countries will respond (worried, angry, happy, or confused?)

5. How will this change things in Iraq or the parts that succeeded into joining? How will it benefit Iraq (if any benefit at all) and USA economically, politically, and militarily.

Okay, take the questions kindly, as it is a friendly hypothetical question. One reason why I decided to go through with this is because I am intrested and the forums seem a little quiet.

The reason I didn't choose Afghanistan, is because I am under the impression, no one will really care about it. When I hear people talk about the war, it is mainly Iraq they bring up. After all, this can at least give people some REAL claims that America is doing it to get free oil XD.

Write long posts if you have to about what you think, as I will read it all.

I know it is probably a stupid idea and will get a lot of critism, I still would like to hear how you guys will respond to it. The question is pretty much hypothetical:
Only stupid question is one that is not asked. FWIW.

What if Iraq or (parts of it) polled its citizens on asking, would they mind to try out to become a US state.
Hmmm. Interesting question. I dunno. Lots of possibilities, but the logistics and legalities would be the mother of all pains in the asses, guaranteed. But we'd have more oil, more uranium, more titanium, more wimin, lots of stuff really.
But, could the Iraqis handle being under the US Constitution? You know, freedom of speech, freedom of opinion, freedom of religion, stuff like that.
I'd rather we take British Columbia, Yukon Territories, Northwest Territories/Nunavuut, and maybe Alberta.

Good question. I dunno.

2. IF majority did accept and Iraq petitioned US congress to become a state do you think US Congress would vote yes or no?
No idea.

3. What you think American people would respond like (Congress normally disregard the American people, that is why it is a different question than #2).
No idea.

4. IF voted yes by Congress, how do you think other countries will respond (worried, angry, happy, or confused?)
Who cares? We wouldn't be asking the other countries if we could do it, it's be Iraq asking us.

5. How will this change things in Iraq or the parts that succeeded into joining? How will it benefit Iraq (if any benefit at all) and USA economically, politically, and militarily.
Good question.

Okay, take the questions kindly, as it is a friendly hypothetical question. One reason why I decided to go through with this is because I am intrested and the forums seem a little quiet.
Wurxz phur me!

The reason I didn't choose Afghanistan, is because I am under the impression, no one will really care about it. When I hear people talk about the war, it is mainly Iraq they bring up. After all, this can at least give people some REAL claims that America is doing it to get free oil XD.
I like Afghanistan. Beautiful place.

I might later on.

Okay, I am glad I got one responder at least lol.

Well my opinion on my questions is

1. It is really hard to see what the Iraqi's will pick. I know we have a bad reputation there, but a majority of them seek a prosperous nation, which I am sure United States can give them if they are willing (plus the much wanted freedom). Even with the benefits I think they would decline

2. LOL, this question can be a little difficult. Congress seems to care about themselves more than the country. I think the fact that there is oil AND we they can replace Israel (who is said to be getting on US'nerve lately) as a political hold in the Middle-east. I think they would say yes, unless the public put some major pressure on them.

3. I believe the American people will not digest this idea well. The fact that the minds of most Americans is on wanting to leave Iraq and Afghanistan to its doom, despite the obvious reason we are there. Too many is focused on leaving, rather than staying.

4. Okay, here is the part that gets me. The benefits will definately be economic due to the oil (which will be in US possession). I wonder if the prices will drop? Iraq will be able to get some freedom and wouldn't need to worry about America leaving them. They can get full training of our soldiers (I am not sure if we are hiding techniques from them). Pretty much, we can handle things better. We just have to hope, the Iraqi's be smart and elect a senator and House of reps, who are not religious zealots.

Religion and Politics, just don't mix....

I'm not sure a state that far away from the rest of America would work out so well. That's just begging for something bad to happen.

Seem to recall we rejected Costa Rica @ some point in the past, & when it looked like Canada might fall apart there was thought that Quebec certainly wouldn't like a lot of US Laws. Iraq going for it, not a chance. An independant Kurdistan would be a better bet in this regards.

Seem to recall we rejected Costa Rica @ some point in the past, & when it looked like Canada might fall apart there was thought that Quebec certainly wouldn't like a lot of US Laws. Iraq going for it, not a chance. An independant Kurdistan would be a better bet in this regards.
Quebec wanted to be it's own country, not a part of Canada, the U.S, France, Britain, Belgium, or anyone.

But British Columbia did have a discussion with the US about it, though. And IIRC the negotiation was including NWT, Yukon and BC before the folks in Montreal (or is the capital Quebec? I forget) started listening.

Back