negotiating with terrorists

Should we negotiating with terrorists?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Do you honestly think that if they somehow got a nuke in NYC that any amount of money would stop them? These people flew planes into buildings killing thousands. Money wouldn't mean anything to them. They might demand we get out of the Middle East though.

That is extremely bullshit reasoning.

The reason the United States has a policy of not negotiating with terrorists is because if we give into the demands of 1 group, then more groups will sprout up to take hostages and make even more demands which will inevitably lead to more hostagetakings. That's the theory, and in pracitce it has worked very well, now the only hostages terrorists take are the ones they plan on executing anyway. So in short, all the hostagetakers that where doing it for demands are gone and the ones that are around cannot be negotiated with even if that was our intent.

Of course, would there be a nuke in NYC or however someone had us by-the-balls I'm sure America would negotiate because it isn't like every terrorist group and their dog can run out and grab a nuke and plant it in NYC like they can grab an American citizen at gunpoint in a foreign land.

Off-topic posts removed.

This topic is about "negotiating with terrorists" in general, not Japan/Korea..

And Slugboy, check your PMs and read the forum rules ASAP.
This is your final warning, next rule violation will lead to a temporary ban!

KC72 said:
my gut reaction is to say no, but looking to northern ireland it seems talking produces the best results and while the peace process isnt perfect (now theres an understatement) the bombings have stopped and that can only be good.

I think there is a difference here between talking to terrorists who want something for the realise of a hostage and talking to a group to end violence in a way that will suit all. You can't beat terrorists simply by military means. All you can hope to do is hit them hard enough that they will want to talk, so you have them over a barrel not the other way round.

Re: NEGOTIATION IS HELPFUL !!!!!!!

slugboy2005 said:
Just like everybody,Terrorists are humankind, too.

They have the same feeling like us at the bottom of their heart,

when a hostage is being killed.

NO BODY LIKE DEATH!

The lives of hostages are much more important than anything else!!!!!!

Released prisoners may be captured again.

Stolen cash may be got back.

Assaulted women may go on living.

But,

HOW can you make a killed hostage, RELIVE??????

PLEASE,

just imagine, if you were hijacked by terrorists,

DON'T YOU WANT THE NEGOTIATION?????!!!!!! :evil:

Not if it meant succumbing to terrorists and extreme difficulty for my country. Besides, if i died, my country would rise up over my death. so it would be a death worth dieing

I feel negotiating with terroists is similar to appeasement to Hitler preWWII. When you give in, even slightly, to power crazy people, they will always try to get more. Terroists are power hunger and will never stop to get power. If we negotiate with them, we are just making them stronger. It also could be shown through propoganda that the United States has weakened and has started to give in.

I'm not sure, both yes and no. In other words i took Somtimes as my choice.

The thing is. You wont stop a terrorist by not complying and negotiating, but you won't stop them by doing so either (althoguh both can come false in some situations and on some groups)

The defination of a terrorist is very wide. A person taking a hostage to get his kid some medical treatment to treat his life threatning illness is a terrorist even though hes not always mentioned as it. Some terrorist are even anounched heros for what they did even though they in the bottom sense are categoriced and defined under the word terrorist.

A person who uses other people as weapons for their sake, which might be to take out revence or just to gather money for their own personel winning is a terroris by defination aswell (this which is most widley defined as a terrorist by the public)

A group of people, a guerilla warfare team trying to protect their country by blowing things up to protect their country and their belifs, is usually or often defiened as a freedomfigher but is in fact a terrorist by defination.

And by the defination of terrorist, all countrys do negotiate with them. Think about it, think about ordanary day issues and you might discover the true meaning and defination of terrorists and how different terrorist situations is sorted dayly.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

Re: NEGOTIATION IS HELPFUL !!!!!!!

slugboy2005 said:
Just like everybody,Terrorists are humankind, too.

They have the same feeling like us at the bottom of their heart,

when a hostage is being killed.

NO BODY LIKE DEATH!

The lives of hostages are much more important than anything else!!!!!!

Released prisoners may be captured again.

Stolen cash may be got back.

Assaulted women may go on living.

But,

HOW can you make a killed hostage, RELIVE??????

PLEASE,

just imagine, if you were hijacked by terrorists,

DON'T YOU WANT THE NEGOTIATION?????!!!!!! :evil:
The underlying problem: The moment you begin negotiating with terrorist groups, you validate terrorism as:
1.) An effective political tool
2.) A legitimate form of manipulating other nations and their policies
3.) A legitmate form of expressing political viewpoints

All of those things are going to make Terrorism grow substantially, the moment you begin to negotiate with them.

For every rule, there is an exception. There are circumstances that negotiation is not only a good idea ... it is the only option worth considering. Those cases are only very the most extreme.

I agree with GodofThunder03. If negotiations where to actually happen, it would surely favor the terrorists. In the mind of a terrorist, he/she would seek and to take the oppurtunity at every level.

We will eliminate terrorism in the world, so it means thate We will never negotiate with the terrorists.

If only terrorism was that easy to eliminate. We would have got rid of it years ago and not be where we are now.

from what i have heard governements do not openly negotiate with terrorists but they often do it through back channels and nice and quietly so few people know about it.
a flat out "no" is unrealistic, there are always some extraneous circumstances that will demand and exception to the rule

Re-negotiating with terrorists

Never negotiate with hopeless ppl. First mission for any human being in my world is to escape and evade its captures, if they succeed honour where honour is due. If you fail. Well bad luck and let the pro sort them out after your death. If cought in the Middle East, you are probably 90% closer to death, then you would be on for an example Ireland. IMO western terrorists are more likely up for negotiations and agreements. My respons to these new terrorists are - Kill `Em all, let Allah sort `Em out! If paying them, you only get more dead ppl then ppl saved in the end. 8)

Doc.S
:viking:

Back