Need some geopolitics questions answered

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
Well, I've been working for four years on writing a novel/expose for fourth generation warfare, and I have a problem. After looking at what I originally wrote as the final climactic firefight, I realized that, since the inception of new prosecution laws for servicemen in 2004, I cannot expect my central characters to get away cleanly with a firefight with German polizei. So, the story thus far

A pair of disaffected Russian soldiers, taken from active duty after Chechnya and furious with the state of affairs in Russia, plan a coup, financed by black-market dealings. The plan? Stage a successful coup by funneling money to a left-wing ex-neo-Nazi's bid for political power in Germany, creating a general sense of fear and distrust between their respective nations, then eliminate him at the critical moment, and seize power as the situation reaches a crisis point.

My problem is that there is a scene in which a small contingent of Russian and American shooters, operating in tandem, have a very large and protracted firefight with German polizei. However, since I can no longer realistically do that, I decided to simply use the atmosphere of fear as an excuse to declare martial law in this small town and achieve the same results- much easier to write off than a firefight involving police. This is one of the climactic scenes in the book and I really enjoyed writing the draft, so I don't want to screw it up on account of inaccuracy. This may seem like an unintelligent question, but...

Under a German regime starting a process of gradual remilitarization, and a Russian government feeling threatened by this regime, tensions everywhere woudl be running high. Would this be a good excuse to declare martial law in a border city to provide a location for this skirmish?

Hardest part of writing something is finding excuses for a plot twist, not the twist itself. Thanks in advance.

I'm also going to try to publish a few military short stories, maybe make a little cash and tuck it away for college.

No, unless i made a huge typo in my explanation. It's more the playing off of two countries through the fear of the opposite ends of the spectrum.

The neo-nazi's reformation was just a facade of going more moderate and seeing the errors of his past- he's still quite an incredibly deranged and screwed up character. He still doesn't hold a candle to the man hired to do him in.

Last edited:
Ah okay because the Neo-Nazis, at least if they are staying true to the NAZI name, are fascists and fascism is the polar opposite of communism. So I am not sure on how readers would feel about that.

And to answer your question...

Maybe if there is fighting that occurs outside of the town before the fight actually reaches there, the government would have a good reason to declare martial law in the town to protect its own citizens.

That's what I'm getting at- I don't care about the readers just yet, I care about plot cohesion- it's the playing off of the polar opposites of the political spectrum. YOu have the neo-Fascist German government manipulated against the hardliners in Russia, and the tensions there lead to martial law being declared- just in case.

What essentially happens is a joint operation to find incriminating evidence between the Russian villian and his German politician/pawn goes awry after a botched breaking and entering scheme, and results in a running battle that goes through a short chase, into and through a blockade, across several streets, and ends up in... a convalescent home.

When all is said and done our congressional oversight needs to decide whether these soldiers' actions were within their bounds, and whether or not to proceed with admitting the US's involvement in preventing this coup and the subsequent firefight, or acquit the men and allow them to continue their careers.

I was pretty pissed off because I started this in 2003, published parts of it on the internet, and then found one of my character's names as a protagonist in "Call of Duty 4". I consider it coincidence:)

There are about 4 million ethnic Turks living in Germany, most of whom are Muslim. You could include them as an Islamic involvement that smuggles high-tech electronics and missile parts out of Germany and transports them to the Middle East. This somehow gets uncovered and that gives rise to several military-smuggler clashes, hence the martial law? Could provide a useful depth to the regional situation and create more characters that can be used in other events or certain twists/new plots, especially if you're planning to make it a trilogy or something. ;)

Last edited:
Nah, the ethnic groups scenario wouldn't work because it would have jack to do with the suspense and would be unworkable in its current form- I'd have to rewrite the book.

You're forgetting the basic question: Is the current format (tension building between Russia and Germany because of opposing political views and turmoil, not to mention that the closet Nazi is in the Russian conspirators' pockets) lead to martial law in the border areas?

Actually, there is a sequel floating around in my head- in the end, the assassin is beaten into a coma by the aforementioned operators, and wakes up a year later to exact his revenge for a broken bank and broken bones. That particular plot revolves more around the squad medic, one of my favorite characters to have developed.

Personally I think the martial-law scenario is completely workable as is, given past history, and the parties involved.

It's a fictional novel so you can do what ever you want. They could spend 8 days throwing tins of soup at each-other whilst singing show tunes... It's up to you.

Back