Need some advice on a Special Operations scenario

--

May 11th, 2009  
Gun Control

Topic: Need some advice on a Special Operations scenario

I am writing a screenplay that involves an extraction of kidnapped US diplomats from an Amazon jungle rebel camp where they are being held captive in a makeshift bamboo holding cage. The camp is located in Venezuela and covered in camouflaged netting. As you know our relationship with the dictator Hugo Chavez is uneasy at best. These rebels are allowed to conduct business out of his country but are not in any way affiliated with his government. I am looking for some advice on how to create a covert operation into the jungle to first rescue the hostages but also assassinate all the rebels. The twist is the rebels have been tipped off and create an elaborate ambush that wipes out the entire rescue team except one man. I was thinking about a Halo jump by navy seals but I need some expert advice because I don't want the integrity of this scene to be compromised like they usually are in Hollywood. I need educated advice and would prefer someone with special operations experience. Thanks please give me your thoughts and criticisms.
May 11th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Writing a screen play for fun?
May 11th, 2009  
03USMC

So your thinking of HALOing SEAL's in they get ambushed expect for 1 Operator and I'm assuming he continues the misson. Already too Hollywoodish. He'd go into E&E mode his missions already compromised. The rescue in your scenerio would be primary the wipping out of all the insurgents would'nt even make it into the brief.
--
May 11th, 2009  
AFSteliga

I agree with 03. Self-preservation would become the lone survivor's primary mission. Plus, an incursion like this could easily spark an international incident unless the US already had the authority to go in (unlikely considering current relations).
May 11th, 2009  
Gun Control

The survivor is not part of the team. He is an informant that is brought along for intelligence purposes. The audience is not aware of the ambush until later so I just wanted to know how they would prepare for such an operation. Thanks for playing the devils advocate I need that information as well.
May 12th, 2009  
Wallabies

They would never bring along an informant, especially if they had to train him in HALO jumps. Also parachuting into jungles is just stupid and probably wouldn't be the best insertion method.
May 12th, 2009  
Gun Control

Could the informant tandem jump with a team member if he had his own oxygen?
Also what if the LZ was the Rio Negro river?
May 12th, 2009  
Gun Control

the_13th_redneck what's your point?
May 12th, 2009  
03USMC

Could they tandem jump? That's iffy it's not like civilian sky diving to many variables plus they have to carry a combat load. The more wieght the more you compromise stability.

That aside. They wouldn't take him. They would be briefed by him. They might meet an intel asset on the ground.
May 12th, 2009  
Wallabies

They'd sink like stones landing in water.