N Korea declares itself a nuclear power

--
Boots

February 10th, 2005  
Zyca

Topic: N Korea declares itself a nuclear power

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Feb10.html

What is going to be the reaction from around the world? If the US cannot get China to act against NK, would a war against NK be a possible scenario? There's also Iran in the picture... this is getting quite messy.
February 10th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Life is beautiful.

While North Korea arms itself with nukes and is prepared to throw it at the South, South Koreans continue to cheer on the North Koreans. Many "do not believe" that this nuke is intended for use against other Koreans. Oh REALLY?? Then who? And if it's for Japan, shouldn't we be trying to stop that ANYWAY!?!? I guess it's lonely being the only one in a several mile radius that actually has a brain.
February 10th, 2005  
Sexybeast

north won't dare to throw nukes at anyone unless it is North's last resort..

if north throw nukes carelessly, not only U.S, south korea and japan will kick north's ass, but also China
--
Boots
February 10th, 2005  
Whispering Death

I say nuke em' into the stone age... but people never listen to me, something about fallout in China and S. Korea or some other such unimportant nonsense
February 11th, 2005  
Knightraptor

A non-nuclear NK is in China's best interest. I mean think about it, if NK happens to prove it has Nukes. Japan and SK are gonna want to go Nuclear. That upsets China's balance of power in the area, and creates an uber flashpoint for a nuclear war. Maybe now China will start putting ALOT of pressure on NK....hopefully.
February 11th, 2005  
Darcia

North Korea needs to remember back in the 50's thier was a plan to use nuclear weapons agianst them. problem is massive loss of civilians. It is now the 21st century and Missiles have got a whole lot better in the past 50 years. So while NK is enjoying the 50's Army. South Korea and Japan on the other hand of the backing of the worlds most advanced military, and thats has to account for something.
February 11th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Oh well, we'll have a missile shield up soon that can stop anything N.Korea could build so we can then turn South Korea into an Island nation.

How would you like that Redneck
February 11th, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

It's like a mad, starved dog, clawing and biteing at those who try to help it. If it keeps acting like this, it'll probably lash out, and be annihilated.

There are only two things I can see that can save North Korea.

1: Disarm nukes

2: China

Though I don't think China needs them really, other than... certain strategic interest. But even those seem kind of dashed now, as one poster said: NK may very well force SK and Japan to arm up.
February 11th, 2005  
Darcia

The Scary thins is the Neutrel nations of the world have better weapons than North Korea.
February 11th, 2005  
Jim Goose

Topic: Good for them.

I think now that North Korea is a self-declared nuclear power they can rest a bit easier and hopefully become a bit less paranoid.

I'm almost certain Kim and his circle will not use the nukes unless provoked militarily, I'm also certain that they're aware of the fact that they would be removed from the face of the earth if they were the first to launch a nuke.

Kim was put into a position to preserve communism in north korea, although through a sort ascension from his fathers death, it would make very little difference if it was Kim or a council appointed communist leader.

This is not so much a conflict between a psycho and the reasonable world as it is a conflict between one of the few remaining communist systems and the free globalised capitalist system.

I hope what follows next is the west coming to accept a nuclear north korea, removing debilitating economic sanctions, and finally allowing the north korean people to enjoy the prosperity that we enjoy in the west.

If the whole world needs to go nuclear to find equality, i'm all for it, and if the world is destroyed in the struggle for equality then it's a valid cost.

Just my 2 cents.

Next is Iran's turn I persume.