My Dad Was A... - Page 2

--
Boots

June 25th, 2005  
vargsriket

My grandfather was a sergeant in the Red Army, fought in WW2, defended my native city of Kharkov, also Moscow and a number of other cities, then advanced towards Berlin, which was taken. Fought for 4 years, came back without a scratch. My father was in the army 74-76, remained a private because he was an artist he didn't do much soldiering really.
June 25th, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

My grandpa was in the Army Air Corps during WWII in Europe
June 26th, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

My grandfather was in the merchant marines. He wanted to go into the Army, but his trigger finger was gone due to a woodshop accident.

I'm told my dad's uncle was in Vietnam.

I'm also told my grandmother's uncle was in WWI and died from some chemical or biological agents. And that my grandfather's uncle was a tanker in WWI also.
--
Boots
June 26th, 2005  
AlexKall

My grandfather was a Major in the Swedish Air Force.

My dad did military service but never did do carear in it. But some lovley stories none the less. They got the grade of beeing some of the best cheffs in the Swedish military, cooking great food on poor ingridients. He still love to cook food and hes still as awsome!
June 26th, 2005  
Pete031

BullDog,
I am not sure man. We didn't have any info on him at all until 1996. He was with the Royal Rifles of Canada, so he would have served wherever they were operating. But thanks for the Kind Comment.
June 26th, 2005  
pimp_squeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete031
BullDog,
I am not sure man. We didn't have any info on him at all until 1996. He was with the Royal Rifles of Canada, so he would have served wherever they were operating. But thanks for the Kind Comment.
do you know the unit # that he served with? I might be able to find out through my "connections"
June 26th, 2005  
MarineGtoACommo

Mine was USAF SMSgt at 4315th CCTS and 90th SMW for Titan, Minuteman and Peacekeeper ICBM missile crew trainers.
June 27th, 2005  
wolfen

My dad was a Master Chief Machinest Mate in the U.S.Navy from 1945 to 1972. on Various Destroyers, on both coasts.
I could tell ya what my grand dad did but it'd make some people mad till I explained it fully.
June 27th, 2005  
ghost457

my grandpa on my moms side was in the 101st Airborne in Korea, he was a mechanic. he got out before Vietnam, and died of a stroke a few months before i was born. hes the only person that i know of in my family that served in the military.
June 27th, 2005  
Macoy

Iam German, my father is russian, my mother german.

My father was in the soviet army from 76-78. He was a fire fighter in Baikonur, the main base for soviet space missions (Moon, Mercury, Mars, MIR - Missons launched in this time).

My fathers brother - my uncle - was officer in Archangelsk (a base for ICBM's) for 25 yrs, the other brother was Mi-25 pilot, but also retired now. We had not much contact in this time, because contact with foreign contries was prohibited during the cold war.

His father fougth in 1940 in the Red Army in Finland
, was wounded and survived the war.

On mother's side grand-father was Sgt in the east german army. His father was Officer in the Wehrmacht, died 1945 near Breslau (today called Wroclaw/Poland).