moral/political discussion - Page 7

--
moral/political discussion

May 1st, 2007  
philam15

How can you say that? People who go to kill others are much more dangerous...you don't know what they're gonna do, as suicidal people are usually harmless to people but themselves. (I say usually)
May 1st, 2007  
Rob Henderson

A LIFE IS A LIFE! Do you not believe that?! Do you not believe that suicidal people are not people too?

This is the logic i see being presented..."As long as they arent going to kill anyone ELSE, then its ok."
May 1st, 2007  
philam15

You're missing the point
--
May 1st, 2007  
Rob Henderson

Hahaha...And that would be....
May 1st, 2007  
Fox

Sorry, Henderson, I'm going with Philam on this one.
May 1st, 2007  
Rob Henderson

So as long as the suicidal people don't kill anyone else, they're ok to just END their lives?!
May 1st, 2007  
philam15

we're not saying it's ok...just that it's not murder
May 1st, 2007  
LCPLSMITH

I agree, killing is ending a life, so techinically suicide and murder are both forms of killing; however, it is a totally different mindset. Consider this: Timothy McBay, the bomber of the Government building in oklahoma city had two brain tumors that were pushing on ihs frontal lobes. The frontal lobes are theorized to control things like decision making. The person who commits suicide, for the most part, expereinces a totally different medical problem, called depression (an imbalance of chemicals in the brain), which does not effect the frontal lobes. The effects on the brain would create a difference in reactions to the ideas of killing or harming others (compared to harming ones self). The mindsets would be different. Not to mention, hurting ones self is not the same as hurting others. Suicide is wrong, dont get me wrong, but people who are ok with hurting themselves may not be ok with hurting others.
May 1st, 2007  
Rob Henderson

The mindset doesn't matter...Thats not the point Im trying to make. Killing is killing...Killing is the extinguishing of a life. Killing is murder. As long as you agree with me that killing is murder, then I'm ok, because that's what it is...The mindsets ARE different...But the basics are the same.
May 1st, 2007  
philam15

Suicide isn't called murder for a reason, because they are DIFFERENT