Military To Stay In Schools

marinecadet

Dear Hippies,

Just because you want recruiters and JROTC out of high schools doesn't mean everyone else does too. I AM a high school student and there is no obligation that I have to enlist, talk to a recruiter, or even join JROTC. You're ruining the fun for teenagers who want military experience and/or to enlist. So ignore the recruiter, don't enlist, and don't join JROTC and most of all F**K OFF!!! It doesn't promote violence, gangs, and guns. It makes your son/daughter come home dressed up properly, respectful, able to defend him or herself. If these hippies take away your experience then check these sites out.

www.militarycadets.org
www.cap.gov
www.seacadets.org
www.theyoungmarines.org

Sincerely,

Me

i agree with you. how can you essentially keep the military from recruiting on school property when you allow other colleges the right to be there? this is one of the reasons the military doesnt reach its recruiting goals. since when is joining the armed forces a bad thing?

I have no issue with the military in schools, although I do question some of the recruiting tactics. For example, one of the complaints of soldiers is the recuitment commericals and the half-truths they tell.

If you watch the commericals you get the impression that going into the army is some sort of happy adventure, kind of like camp or the Boy Scouts. Some of them remind me of Club-Med commericals. Others make some dubious claims. For example the teaching of 'skills'. Some of these skills are of little value in civilian value. I saw a documentary of a young sailor on an aircraft carrier, in the film he never stops cursing they day he signed up? Why? His 'skills' the recruiter promised him was cleaning the Ships Head and doing crew laundry. Im sure the brochure mentioned nothing about this.

The last issue are the risks. Recruiters do not mention the real possibilty of going into combat and having to kill or be killed. Also the possibility of suffering grivous wounds physical or mental or having other long term or permanent health problems. Fireman and Policeman are warned of the risks, heck, Haliburton Truck Drivers in Iraq are warned as well. But the recruiters tend to gloss the part over.

Young people are very impressionable, a Army Sales Pitch is going to have a greater effect on a 18 year old than a 30 year old.

A greater deal of honesty is all I ask...

I believe that the Military should be envolved further in schools. The cadet programs are becoming too much like a slacker class. I want the JROTC program to go back to basic. Learning how to build a shelter, military history, shooting skills, tours and classes about military weapons and vehicals. When I was in High School, my JROTC program kicked @$$. My Senior Army instructor was a former US Special Forces member that was combat in Vietnam. He spoke the truth about the military. We had a Ranger Team. Repelling, River Crossing, Driil team, Honor guard, and rifle/pistol shooting. When won the gold and had fun. Toured Military Southern Command. Went to the Airforce bases in FLA. Got to go on US Coastguard ships during missions. It was great. America is losing it touch with it's rich past. Defense didn't rest on the government. It rested on the shoulders of it's civilian population. Shooting needs to be re-introduced as a High School sport in many parts of the country. Good Soldiers come from those that had a outdoor life style. Your Snipers, Rangers, Special Forces, and Infantry come from what I call the "Good Old Boy" style of person. Those that go hunting every fall. Camping with the Boy Scouts. and so on. Start looking at the lives of those that are great warriors. And you'll see that they all of a different mind set.

I understand some of the finest schools in the nation are those on Military bases. If that is the effect of the military on education, who in their right mind would want to separate them? :?

mmarsh said:
I have no issue with the military in schools, although I do question some of the recruiting tactics. For example, one of the complaints of soldiers is the recuitment commericals and the half-truths they tell.

If you watch the commericals you get the impression that going into the army is some sort of happy adventure, kind of like camp or the Boy Scouts. Some of them remind me of Club-Med commericals. Others make some dubious claims. For example the teaching of 'skills'. Some of these skills are of little value in civilian value. I saw a documentary of a young sailor on an aircraft carrier, in the film he never stops cursing they day he signed up? Why? His 'skills' the recruiter promised him was cleaning the Ships Head and doing crew laundry. Im sure the brochure mentioned nothing about this.

The last issue are the risks. Recruiters do not mention the real possibilty of going into combat and having to kill or be killed. Also the possibility of suffering grivous wounds physical or mental or having other long term or permanent health problems. Fireman and Policeman are warned of the risks, heck, Haliburton Truck Drivers in Iraq are warned as well. But the recruiters tend to gloss the part over.

Young people are very impressionable, a Army Sales Pitch is going to have a greater effect on a 18 year old than a 30 year old.

A greater deal of honesty is all I ask...

I really believe your painting 18 year olds as dumb and gullible. Lets look at it.

1. Things not being in the borchure such as daily house keeping. Hmmmm a sailor on an aircraft carrier cleaning heads and doing laundry . He thought he'd have a maid? Everybody has to perform these duties regardless of MOS or Billet at some point in their career. Answer get promoted to NCO and supervise or quit yer bytchin.

What skills was he promised? Did he rock out of his A school and go to the fleet as an unassigned striker assigned to the deck division? Did he sign up as a Bosuns Mate and luck of the draw or his rank got him assigned to scut work? Is he problem child?

2. Maybe it's me but if you enlist in the Military during war time and expect not to be at risk well then your lunacy knows no bounds. Crap turn on the TV , read a news paper catch up on current events. People in the Military are being wounded and dying. Not a big freakin secret.

Back