Meaning of the Purple Heart

--

October 31st, 2004  
Rotty261

Topic: Meaning of the Purple Heart

It seems to me that the values behind the Purple Heart have been forgotten. I have seen and heard of people getting Purple Hearts for injuries in a combat zone but the injuries are not combat related. For instance, a service member falls while running towards a bunker because they think they hear an explosion and gets hurt in the fall. Is that a valid reason to have the Purple Heart awarded? I will always show my respect to any one that has been awarded the Purple Heart, but I hope that the award is not just being handed out for any scrape on the knee or bruise from falling down....
October 31st, 2004  
AlexKall

In my opinion that doesn't qualify to receive one
October 31st, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

I'm with you, i think that a purple heart should only be awarded when your injured by the enemy (obviously, with some exceptions)
--
October 31st, 2004  
A Can of Man

yeah and apparently you don't get one when u get shot by your own side.
October 31st, 2004  
RnderSafe

In my 20+ years, I have never seen a PH awarded without merit. I have heard of instances where it was questionable, but as I was not there - I can't make a valid judgment. It is common, especially during war for awards to be given out a bit more liberally than in peace time, but this does not mean the validity of the award needs to be questioned. And unless you've been in a combat zone, it's really difficult to make a judgment on what someone does and does not deserve.
October 31st, 2004  
ravensword227

REMOVED
November 1st, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Here's what the AR 600-8-22 says about the purple heart

(6) It is not intended that such a strict interpretation of the requirement for the wound or injury to be caused by direct result of hostile action be taken that it would preclude the award being made to deserving personnel. Commanders must also take into consideration, the circumstances surrounding an injury, even if it appears to meet the criteria. Note the following examples:

(a) In case such as an individual injured while making a parachute landing from an aircraft that had been brought down enemy fire; or, an individual injured as a result of a vehicle accident caused by enemy fire, the decision will be made in favor of the individual and the award will be made.

(c) Individuals injured as a result of their own negligence; for example, driving or walking through an unauthorized area known to have been mined or placed off limits or searching for or picking up unexploded munitions as war souvenirs, will not be awarded the Purple Heart as they clearly were not injured as a result of enemy action, but rather by their own negligence.

http://www.purpleheart.org/Awd_of_PH.htm

it tooks like that instance is left to the discretion of the commander.
November 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

a lot of things are.
November 1st, 2004  
Patriot_1989tobeyond

The purple heart isnt something to be awarded to people who REMOVED, or people who throw hand grenades in rice barrels because theyre board or shoot stuff they dont know how to use.
November 1st, 2004  
Redneck

Patriot_1989tobeyond and ravensword227, your posts are unnacceptable here, do not use lewd or otherwise offensive language, you will not gain any cool points by doing so.