Meaning of the Purple Heart - Page 2

--

November 1st, 2004  
Mark Conley

in retrospect..maybee she was a V.C. Hooker?

Just being contrary of course no one visiting a bordello and getting his hose chomped should get a purple heart..i mean how would someone write up the citation?
November 1st, 2004  
Rotty261

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
In my 20+ years, I have never seen a PH awarded without merit. I have heard of instances where it was questionable, but as I was not there - I can't make a valid judgment. It is common, especially during war for awards to be given out a bit more liberally than in peace time, but this does not mean the validity of the award needs to be questioned. And unless you've been in a combat zone, it's really difficult to make a judgment on what someone does and does not deserve.
I am in a combat zone and am not questioning what anyone deserves just wondering if the award has became a "gimmie" so to speak for any and all injuries combat related or not....
November 1st, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotty261
I am in a combat zone and am not questioning what anyone deserves just wondering if the award has became a "gimmie" so to speak for any and all injuries combat related or not....
I am not sure as to why you feel my comment was personally directed towards you. Try not to be so personal, it tends to ruin a discussion.

As to the award becoming a "gimmie," different units will have different standards. A combat unit will not be as likely to give the PH for injuries that a non-combat unit perhaps would as the mission, mindset, etc are different - and then there are a lot that do not get them at all when they should.
--
November 1st, 2004  
egoz

don't they say that the purple heart is the markmanship award for the enemy?
November 1st, 2004  
Rotty261

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotty261
I am not sure as to why you feel my comment was personally directed towards you. Try not to be so personal, it tends to ruin a discussion.

As to the award becoming a "gimmie," different units will have different standards. A combat unit will not be as likely to give the PH for injuries that a non-combat unit perhaps would as the mission, mindset, etc are different - and then there are a lot that do not get them at all when they should.
I was not taking it personally, I just don't want anyone to think that I am trying to take away anything from those that deserved/earned the medal. What you said about the difference between combat and non combat units sounds like it is right on the money for what I have heard and witnessed.....