Marksmanship Practice Halted!?

--

November 11th, 2004  
Cadet_Shelton

Topic: Marksmanship Practice Halted!?

Our unit received an order from Fort Bragg to halt all marksmanship practice for the time being due to a fatality during another units practice... Have y'all received similar orders?

BTW- I believe the incident occured 5 Nov.
November 11th, 2004  
c/Commander

Nope. Navy/Marine Corps Reserve Center near us's range is still hot!
November 12th, 2004  
Cadet_Shelton

Well I'm in AJROTC...
--
November 12th, 2004  
silent driller

At some point this century, Tucker's ranges will heat up... BARTOL, GET ON IT!!! BARTOL, GET ON IT!!! BARTOL, GET ON IT!!! And if you find this message on Google, BARTOL, GET ON IT!!!
November 12th, 2004  
Panther Cadet

We got shut down too, "pending investigation". A college-level marksman got killed by either himself or somebody else who wasn't being careful with their .22. That's as much as I know, detail-wise.
November 12th, 2004  
cullion

Our marksman/air rifle team was halted due to a safety standoff pending investigation on a situation with another detachment. I was told that at a college there was an Activities Signup held in the gym for a few days and on teh third day someone asked the ROTC guys how to shoot a rifle and they held it up, turned the safety off and not knowing the gun was loading with a pellet, shot the bullet and killed someone. Therefore there's pending investigation on why it was loaded and whatnot.

However, our order came as of July something or other to halt all Air Rifle practice. No US Navy unit is supposed to be shooting air rifles at this time.

(Our Drill team is also currently at a safety standdown. Some idiot left a rifle out. Lol.)
November 12th, 2004  
c/Commander

You have working rifles, cullion? Daaaaang!

Anyway, our rifle team practices at the farm a guy in our community owns. For regular marksmanship, we use M16s at the Navy Reserve Center, with more RSOs than cadets and two people shooting at a time, NO MORE, with the rest of us standing behind bullet-resistant glass and a BRG shield between the two shooters.
November 13th, 2004  
Cadet_Shelton

We use air rifles... not much danger there...
November 13th, 2004  
Trevor

Man, when stuff like this happens in the Canadian Cadet Movement, the whole program grinds to a halt, sometimes never to return.
November 15th, 2004  
ops

Topic: Rifle Team Halted

Our unit got the same order. All NJROTC units in the country are in a stand-down. All we heard was that there was an accident during a practice. They are supposed to send out a message to all units in December regarding the incident and stating whether or not we will be able to open the ranges again.